Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tents for the beach?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Our Alps Meramac tent has given good service over the past few years. It was relatively inexpensive (bought on sale at REI) and has held up well. However, I found that the open fly front and higher side skirts caught the breeze and channelled sand through the mesh inner tent and onto our gear when camping on the beach last year. A closed vestibule and lower side skirts seems to be the answer. I've been enjoying looking at the various options available, but figure that the collective wisdom of this forum is another source to be explored.

Has anyone found a good wind/sand resistant tent?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tents for the beach?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

You might look at REI's half dome 2 plus. It has higher sides, but still has a lot of mesh . Of course, a site selection that is going to avoid the brunt of the wind and sand helps.
https://www.rei.com/product/878520/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject: Re: Tents for the beach?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Keith.

The REI tent that you mentioned and the Kelty Trail Ridge are the two reasonably priced tents at the top of my list. I've found a few mountaineering tents that seem fantastic, too, but are possibly overkill when I wake from my trance and realize that I'm not going into the high wilderness.

Of course, the thrifty side of me says to alter our existing tent by making a vestibule and sew it on to the Meramac. (FWIW I just found out that Seattle Fabrics is a great resource for a project like this. They've got polyurethane and silicone coated tent fabrics. Hmmm)

This whole exercise is reminding me of my childhood when I'd pour over catalogues before Christmas. The anticipation was way more fun than the actual event...