Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put this on the Hobie 14 forum, but just realised this might have been a better choice:

Repeating it all here:

On my Hobie 14 a split has open up for about two feet on the front right hand side of boat along the very edge of the curved-over lip where the deck joins the hull. Ie. the top has separated from the bottom on the lip.
Advice I have received so far is to squirt some epoxy into it all the way along while levering it open with a chisel. I then intend to clamp it tight using a multitude of small G-clamps, as I can't think of a better way to clamp it. until it is set. I'll put a piece of wood or something on the outside edge while clamping so a not to damage the surface with the clamps. Another thing I've thought of is to make sure I tape some plastic underneath to avoid epoxy getting on the rest of the hull.
I've got a couple of days until I intend to do this. Am I doing the right thing? Any other suggestions? Will this last?

Post subject: Split
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:56 am 
Site Admin

This is a critical structural failure. There are a lot of stresses on the bows.

Why did it crack? Understanding this may help in the repair. I suspect a foam / glass delamination left unrepaired may have allowed the deck to become soft. Then the upper skin has finally cracked?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My first description may have sounded worse than it is. There's no softness on the deck or cracks showing but I imagine someone sat down a bit hard on the deck one day. The split is only along the edge where the top and bottom join and it is only separated about two millimetres - that's why I intend to lever it open a little to squeeze the epoxy in. I don't know if the crack goes all the way through the lip and into the inside. Do you think it can be repaired by what I've suggested above, or what other options are there? I don't want to put a porthole in the top to investigate further as it seems to me that would weaken it further.

Post subject: Critical
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Just remember that the structure of the bow is critical due to the inwards and upwards pull by the bridles.

Sounds like the deck flexed as you explained and ran into the hard point at the lip. This then released as a crack. Perhaps a bit of glass over the top would be better that just injected epoxy. You can fair it it to hide the extra glass and paint over.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some thoughts:

One possible way to clamp the lip while the the glue is curing would be to actually put some small screws into the lip to compress it together. Remove the screws after the glue cures and fill the holes with epoxy or putty.
Actually, if you aren't concerned about astetics, you could use pop rivets (with backing plates) and just leave them in when done.

Also, it might be a good idea to tilt the hull so that the crack is the low point. That way, the glue will pool in the crack and create a fillet rather than just run down into the bottom of the hull.

I would probably wrap some glass around the lip to help hold the deck and hull together.

Last, make sure you check the repair before hitting the water. Rig the boat up and pull on the mainsheet hard. Go to the bow and check the status of the crack.

sm