Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHAT Y'ALL THINK
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After capsizing my wave this weekend and thinking about the whole experience, I came up with an idea that may help a little to right the boat. Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I found it a little difficult to get up on the lower hull since it was so slippery and nothing to grab onto. I thought about tying a rope from the front spreader bar to the rear spreader bar. Tying it pretty tight, it would run right along the hull and under the tramp. Do this on both sides. When you are capsized and in the water you could use the rope that's on the hull that's in the water to grab onto and pull yourself onto the hull. Once you are standing you could grab the rope along the top hull and lean back on that one to right the hull. Just a thought.

Post subject: Re: WHAT Y'ALL THINK
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My righting line is stored under the boat with a return bungee system. I took the idea from the Hobie Bravo. Basically its tied to both sides of the front bar and runs under the tramp to a pulley and bungee system. I can grab the line while the boat is capsized on either port or starboard hull, pull my self onto the hull and right the boat, climb on the tramp and the righting line returns to its under tramp position. I'll try and take a picture when I get home.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes pics wud b great thx a bunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This method is know as the Hawaiian righting system and has been around for years.

https://www.google.com.au/search?espv=2 ... 80&bih=920

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess my system is close to the Hawaiian righting system.
Here are two pictures:
The righting line is attached to two eye strap that I riveted to the front cross bar, but it could be easily tied around the cross bar. These are also the tie down points for my trailer straps.

The pulley is attached to a bungee cord that goes to a block at the back of the tramp rail and forward to the port eye strap.

The system is not perfect, but it works well and the righting line is always where I need it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nice thx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ste4 wrote:
After capsizing my wave this weekend and thinking about the whole experience, I came up with an idea that may help a little to right the boat. Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I found it a little difficult to get up on the lower hull since it was so slippery and nothing to grab onto. I thought about tying a rope from the front spreader bar to the rear spreader bar. Tying it pretty tight, it would run right along the hull and under the tramp. Do this on both sides. When you are capsized and in the water you could use the rope that's on the hull that's in the water to grab onto and pull yourself onto the hull. Once you are standing you could grab the rope along the top hull and lean back on that one to right the hull. Just a thought.

Hi

See the discussion on this forum for some other ideas, for instance, you don't need to get up on the hull.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 94#p272794

Hope that helps

Owen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On the wavy I have one end of righting line tied to front bar and when I right the boat I just throw the line on the stern side of guy wire hiding the mast I pull on the line and the boat comes right up. No need for the bungie style h16 use

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ste4, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have enough leverage to right the boat. With the line tied tight to the hull you may not be able to lean out far in enough to right the boat. Especially if it has turtled. I myself am only 5'7" and 150lbs. I need to throw the righting line over to hull, lean out and walk my way up the front beam. Also if you are having difficultly getting on the waterside hull, tying a line beam to beam alone hull the may not give you the leverage to pull yourself up. How about attaching a line that runs along the bottom of the front beam? Tie some knots along the line so you can reach up and grab it at different heights.