Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i11s and Evolve motor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone using the Evolve motor on their i11s? Curious about performance and how the combination works for fishing longer distances, particularly in salt water.

Dan E

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm interested in this as well if anyone can answer or provide insight. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apparently no one has done this yet. I'm considering one of the DIY motors that others have made and posted on youtube. Mainly due to the cost for the evolve. Still trying to decide if I want to register my i11s with the Marine board which is required if I put a motor on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The registering part would be a bit of a pain, but at the same time, it would be worth it if you are going to be boating bigger waters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dexstrom wrote:
Apparently no one has done this yet. I'm considering one of the DIY motors that others have made and posted on youtube. Mainly due to the cost for the evolve. Still trying to decide if I want to register my i11s with the Marine board which is required if I put a motor on it.

Having fished alongside hobies with motors, my thoughts are this: unless you're doing a lot of trolling, or have to cover a ton of water to reach your fishing grounds, I wouldn't opt for a motor in the drive well. Giving up the fine control in current with your mirage drive is not worth it, at least for the majority of my fishing.

Having said that, if you can somehow mount a motor in the back (I see a couple of products that claim easy rudder mounting), while keeping your mirage drive in place, that is definitely the best of both worlds. The hobies set up with torqueedos in the back is something to behold: increased range and efficiency, the ability to sit back and have a drink/sandwich while trolling/traveling, and the capacity to "sprint" towards breaking fish if you run the motor + pedal like mad...with no sacrifice over boat control if you need to drop a jig over a piece of bottom using your mirage drive to hold you in place.

I'm waiting for someone to rudder mount a bixpy to their hobie inflatable, but that seems unlikely (unless it's me!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just saw the price on that Evolve V2 :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree, would like to have a rudder mounted motor, I'm not enough of a DIYer to figure out how to mount it. Considered getting the evolve rudder mount to see if I could mount a different motor on it, but I was told the rudder mount isn't available as a separate part. My reason for wanting a motor is just age related lack of fitness for paddling or pedaling more than 3-4 hours in a day and then needing a couple of days rest before the next trip. Trolling etc. isn't too tough, but a bunch of pedaling to the fishing location and back can be too much of a workout these days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SSgt93 wrote:
I just saw the price on that Evolve V2 :shock:

Yeah, they're real proud of that thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After watching some videos, I think I would make my own.