Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are there any side-by-side pictures of the i9 and i12? Most of the time I'd be sailing solo, but I want the ability to carry either my 4ft tall 7 year old son or my roughly equivalently sized dog back there when kayaking. If the length difference is only in the bow, I could get the smaller kayak.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be mindful that the i12 is equipped with a sail mast port, whereas the i11 is not. If you're planning to sail your inflatable kayak, the i12 is your boat. As far as deck storage, the i11 is a flat, open-deck concept yielding more deck flat deck space behind the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not i11, i9 or i12.

You made me do a double-take, but I have it right. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would still recommend the i12 for your application :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi. After a very long time following this interesting and useful forum, I have finally joined. I hope to someday own a Tandem Island, as soon as I have the necessary space to store it. In the meantime, I think I am going to take the plunge and buy one or two inflatables.

This thread pretty much sums up my own doubts and concerns, although I am actually torn between the i11s and i12s and have discarded the i9s. I would also like to be able to bring along a 7-year-old child behind me. I had thought about installing a kayak seat behind, as Daft suggested. One of those with four hooks.

I haven't tried any of the inflatable kayaks, so I really don't know which one would handle the extra passenger better.

If the i11s had the sail mast mount, I think I would definitely go for it, because its low weight and SUP ability are very appealing. Having said all this, let me share some specific questions:
- Which one is faster?
- Does the plug-in cart for inflatables also work on the i11s?
- And the most important one. Is it really worth sailing the i12s? Do you need perfect conditions to be able to sail? Even though I would love to be able to sail, if sailing one of these inflatables isn't such a big deal, I would pick the i11s and perhaps add a windpaddle sail which, I know has limitations, as has been mentioned in this forum already.

Thank you in advance for your kind advice!

EDIT: I also apologise for stretching this thread towards the i11s.