Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hummingbird Mega Imaging
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm about to purchase a fish finder for my 2016 Pro Angler 14. My favorite side imaging fish finder (for my needs) is Hummingbird's new unit with Mega Imaging http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-HELIX ... ct/167355/ .

Here is my question... Is it more trouble than it's worth trying to mount Hummingbird's ducer on my PA? Should I go with one of Lowrance's TotalScan units instead since it mounts so easily to the bottom of the yak? Any thoughts on my dilemma would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The benefit to going with Lowrance/TotalScan is that it's plug-and-play on your PA 14. Not likely the Humminbird XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer will fit inside the Lowrance Ready cavity, and I don't have dimensions. If you're loyal to Humminbird products, then BerleyPro may have a solution for mounting this transducer over the Lowrance Ready cavity on Hobie kayaks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any brand loyalty. However, Lowrance doesn't offer anything (that I know of) that has a 1200kHz scan frequency. The mega imaging screenshots people are posting are quite impressive. I might have to use an arm off the side of the PA for the Hummingbird Mega Imaging transducer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at Berley Pro's website as I am thinking about switching from Lowarance to their mega imaging unit also. They have a conversion that works for the Onix series, but I'm not sure if that is compatible with the the transducer on the mega imaging units.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't think it is compatible. The Helix G2N (Mega Imaging) transducer has an entirely different part number from any of the previous Hummingbird transducers. I know the Helix G2N transducer is simply bigger than the Helix Gen 1 transducer. That said, Berley Pro is usually on point with their hardware. I'd be surprised if they don't release one soon for the G2N's. I may call tomorrow and see if they have something in the works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did read after posting my reply that the Mega Imaging transducer is about an inch longer than the older models so I don't think it will fit either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went with a Helix 7 and have the XD transducer.... I use a side transducer mount I bought off amazon here...

https://www.amazon.com/YakAttack-RAM-Lo ... ucer+mount

Only issue I'm running into is using SI deeper than 20ft. Looks like the beam is unable to read my right side while the left is clear as day. I imagine other people to have dealt with the same issue but I haven't had a chance to research the solution yet

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

**Update**
I had an email conversation with Martyn Gittens at Berley Pro last night. They are finishing a different mount at the moment and then they will begin a mount to work with the Helix G2N transducer. He didn't give a specific time table for its completion, but he said it was next on the list. I may use an arm deployment (near term) like Andrew and switch to a Berley Pro bottom mount when it is available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

***Update #2***

The folks at Berley Pro have transducer on the way to their shop. Once it arrives, they'll fabricate a mount that will work. We should have something available before too long.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I finished installation of the Humminbird Helix 10 Mega on Friday. Yesterday, the weather was perfect, so, I tested it out on Skiatook Lake in Oklahoma.

The Good: This technology absolutely knocked my socks off. One caveat, this is my first fish finder and so it's probably easy to impress me. I literally couldn't believe the unit could deliver such good imaging, so, I drove over the boat ramp at Black Dog park to prove it to myself. Also, I'm glad I didn't go any smaller than a 10 inch screen. Size matters A LOT with side imaging. I'm already devising ways to mount the head unit closer to my face. Finally, I was worried I wouldn't be able to go fast enough for the side imaging to be effective. It turns out, I was getting fantastic shots at speeds as slow as 1mph.

The Bad: I mounted the transducer below the kayak just aft of the center. While this produced good shots, I was VERY uneasy about hitting something with the transducer. Forgive the crudeness of the mount itself (see picture), this was just something quick I threw together. I'm still working on a more permanent mounting solution. I'm brain storming ways to mount it off the back of the kayak so it's not at the lowest overall point on the yak.

Anyway, thanks for the input along the way. Here are some screenshots I took.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would definitely be worried about the mount! We will see what Berley Pro comes up with. As per my post on the other topic I still have some testing to do with my new Helix 7 G2 and the XNT 190 SI transducer. I want to see side by side comparisons with the transducer over the side on an arm unobstructed compared to the images I'm getting currently with the Berley Pro Humminbird adapter plate. I have two transducers thankfully and will be able to do some same day side by side testing the next time I'm out on the water.

Your images look amazing!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! I'm very curious to hear about your comparison test regarding the different mounts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have the mega imaging unit on my kayak, except mine is the helix 9 unit. Bigger screen would defiantly help especially when your running split screens. Detail on Side imaging is great like you said. Yours does look like they come out alittle cleaner, what settings do you run yours on SI? And the chart speed. Haven't really dialed mine in yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Slayer propel wrote:
I also have the mega imaging unit on my kayak, except mine is the helix 9 unit. Bigger screen would defiantly help especially when your running split screens. Detail on Side imaging is great like you said. Yours does look like they come out alittle cleaner, what settings do you run yours on SI? And the chart speed. Haven't really dialed mine in yet.

I set the chart speed at about 2-3 unless I'm drifting, then I set it at 1. I keep the range around 65ft if I'm using the Mega frequencies. I play with the sensitivity depending on where I'm at on the lake. I'm still learning to use it, but so far, it's blown me away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The detail in those new HB images is insane. I was an early adopter for side imaging when I bought my Bass cat Cougar FTD and it was a game changer. I'm glad to see the tech keeps getting better and better. I haven't purchased a fish finder yet for my new Outback, as I am waiting to see what mounts come up for the new HB system.