Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015 AI: Which Trailex?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been using Yak's Rack-And-Roll.

Nice trailer - people even come up to me unsolicited to remark how cool it looks.

But I think the Hobie trailers are more functional for my use (especially the lower loading height) and I am going to sell the Yak and replace it with one of the Hobies.

I don't want the minimal single-backbone trailer because I want the option of mounting my rooftop box next to the AI if/when it seems like a good idea. ..... I also want more weight capacity.... my rig is an easy 250# as sailed.

Sometime ago, I asked if mounting a single AI off-center to accommodate the much lighter rooftop box would create a balance issue and the answer was "No".

I am assuming that the height will be sufficient for me to insert the scupper dolly while the hull is halfway-off of the trailer.

Once I get it working conventionally, I might even attempt an approximation of FastLane's integrated wheels - only for the AI instead of the TI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xuRFzLeik

I am guessing that the "Double" (http://www.austinkayak.com/products/487 ... ouble.html) is what I am looking for, but want to make sure.

??

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Since this is a custom setup, I would ask Trailex directly as to what the suggest. The double does look to be a good option.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Since this is a custom setup, I would ask Trailex directly as to what the suggest. The double does look to be a good option.
Did that.

Just pulled the trigger on a SUT-450 "Double-Double" from AustinKayak.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why did you go with the double double? From the Austin Kayak site the only difference between them is that the DD is a foot longer than the double. Both lengths appear to be suitable for your boat, so why the longer one? (I'm hoping to benefit from your reasoning as I'm shopping these too.)

Thanks,

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

timo wrote:
Why did you go with the double double?
Strictly GP's - to get the maximum possible carrying area in light of the fact that I really have no clue how this is going to evolve.... So, for another thirty bucks I can avoid the (remote?) possibility that I will be kicking myself in the butt over not having it wide enough.

One (albeit remote) possiblity is an IC-10 sailing canoe riding side-by-side with the AI.

A pretty-sure thing is some sort of gear box on one side or the other - if only to get a little more tongue weight... right now I have only 32# on the tongue with the axle as far back as it will go and, IIRC, the recommended minimum is 9-15% of GVW which, in this case would be 40.5# (200# trailer weight + 250# AI sailing weight = 450#).

FWIW, contrary to what I think I have read elsewhere, the scupper dolly works a-ok with the SUT-450: no lifting of the hull needed, no playing games with putting the axle under rather than over the springs.... works right out of the box.

One caution that I learned from a prior alu trailer back in my H-16 days: beware of any sort of rubbing. On the H-16 trailer, I once left a line trailing in such a way that it rubbed back-and-forth against the alu for a few hours of highway driving and it actually wore an indentation in the frame member.