Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am the proud new owner of a 2012 Pro Angler. I absolutely LOVE IT!
I have read so many helpful things on this website, and I wanted to try and give back and say THANK YOU! I wanted a cart but I didn't want to dish out the $$ for one. I was lucky enough to find a set of wheels on a threaded bar at a garage sale. I have seen DIY carts made out of PVC, but their strength is questionable at best. Here is what I came up with.
I took a crutch and got the hack saw out. I popped the rivets out and used the existing holes to run my threaded bolt through. I had to drill them a bit bigger but no big deal. I used the adjustable rod that fits inside the crutch for my bottom bar. It was a perfect fit without any cutting required. I cut the pieces that hold the handle on to the crutch under the padding then inserted them into the piece I used to ensure a snug fit.
I cut a few pieces of 3/4" PVC and glued them to the crutch. There is a pre-drilled hole for the cotter pin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't you just love it when you look at something and see something no one else does? Like looking at a crutch and seeing a kayak cart. Especially if it's something that is going to be tossed away and ends up having value over $100.

Way to go!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

THAT is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

uno mas wrote:
THAT is awesome.

I so agree with that!

Great work!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

very nice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone. It works quite well. I think I will be putting a pool noodle on the cross bar. I feel the added cushioning will be welcome. It fits well with my crate.

I found an old PVC pole holder that I used to use when I was surf fishing. It didn't fit quite right. I cut it down mid-line a few inches and overlapped it and shoved it in the back rod holder. It is snug as a bug in a rug. Does it look Super Ghetto yet? LOL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats on the ride Daytonabeach. I'm in NSB. If you want to do a Hobie fishing run, let me know. We don't often see any Hobies in these here parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A 3 (4?) year old follow up. I totally just built a cart using this post as inspiration. Just need to get some tennis balls.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love this idea! We have a pair of old crutches, out in the barn.
We just bought 2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks yesterday and need a couple of carts. I was looking at the prices, decided to search DIY... This is the best design idea, and looks great to boot! (IMO) Going to go get started on it. 2 thumbs up!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

y0shi Are your crutch tubes oval or round, and what diameter? The ones we found are youth and round, 3/4" diameter. The wheels we found have a 5/8" axel. After drilling the axle hole out, it wouldn't leave much sidewall, and we will have to sleeve ours for support. What size axle are you using? From the photo it looks like you had plenty of wall left after installing your axle. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, used part of the crutch, but Husband found some 1" scrap pipe and bent/cut a couple pieces. The cart turned out GREAT. Found a couple of wheels from Harbor Freight for 15.00. Love this cart; Total spent, $25.00. Can't figure out how to insert photos from my PC, or I'd post some.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone explain more detail on sizes to make the cuts and how the wheel axle/wheels were attached? I have a set of old crutches and just got a 14ft PA, wanting to try this project out! Looks rewarding and fun.