Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2017 WaterTribe Everglades Challenge starts in a little less than 2 days. 4 AIs and 13 Tandems will be on the Start line.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Just want to get over to the next page.
Do you have any wisdom/experience to share vis-a-vis your experience so far with a single boat on the 450?

My only issue so far has been tongue weight (have 32#, need 45) - probably moot with your heavier/longer TI.... and I am expecting the addition of a winch and supporting bracket (maybe with one or two 5-lb diver's weights stashed inside the bracket) to resolve that.

I am really liking the fact that, once the axle and springs are installed, the only wrench one needs (besided a standard lug wrench for tire changes) is a 9/16ths.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think 1 boat or 2 boats are any problem. I've done both. You are doing too much thinking on this Pete. The trailer works fine.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
You are doing too much thinking on this....
Guilty as charged.

Spent 30+ years thinking for a living. .... Now I know I need to kick back... but sometimes I just can't help myself...

It's like some kind of disease.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2017 Everglades Challenge Update

Day 1—the start, 7:00 AM, Mar 4
The start at East Beach of Ft Desoto was canceled because of high winds which made the required Tampa Bay crossing too dangerous. Consideration of the next day weather forecast indicated the same situation, so Chief canceled the Ft Desoto start, and instead said the start would be 7:00 AM at Checkpoint 1 (Cape Haze) the following day. An excellent video of the “non-start” is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFw0sSE_jT0

Day 2—the start at Cape Haze, Mar 5, might be called disorganized, but it was a start. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1bNB_CdU0s Unfortunately 20 of the 99 boats expected to start DNS. There were 13 TIs and 4 AIs starting but 3 TIs and 1 AI chose to go home. Everyone had their own reason. In any case, the race is on, and, with strong, favorable winds, the Islands are doing quite well.

A crowd favorite every year is Randy Smyth and his boat “SewSew,” a sleek, fiberglass trimaran. Randy’s surprise this year was a wing-sail. A little over 33 hrs into the race, he is rounding Cape Sable—just 11 mi from Ckpt 3 and about 46 miles from the finish in Key Largo. He has done about 175 miles and no other boat is anywhere near him. Barring a catastrophe, he should win the race this year. I’ll add a picture later. Don’t have it available now.

Among the AIs and Tis, CaptBones in his AI 2 has a sizable lead on everyone. He is about 10 miles from Ckpt 2 (Chokoloskee). Bones sailed with us last summer on our third training trip. You can read about it here. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=930

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for posting this, Keith.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're welcome, Bob.

Day 3—Mar 7 Rather a slow day for those we are interested in, although I see SewSew (Randy Smyth) has finished and is sitting in Key Largo. Terrific job. He is at least a day ahead of anyone else. There were other very fast boats with 2-man crews, but, for whatever reason they did not start the race. Surprising. I don't know how Randy does it, but he seems to be able to go for 2-3 days without sleep, and he does it every year.

At dark, Bones and his AI 2 is currently hunkered down on Mormon Key, 5 miles SE of Pavilion Key. Captgnarly in a tandem is about 6 miles behind him and also not moving. These fellows only made about 15 miles today, not enough to complete the race in the allotted time, but they are in the lead of the Islands. The next couple days could be slow with weakening winds. I don't admire the task ahead of these fellows and the rest of the Islands.

Jim Czarnowski is currently taking a break at Ckpt 2 (Chokoloskee).

Edit: I thought these guys were packing it in a bit early. They are now on the move. Captgnarly is only about a mile behind Bones. They are just south of Lostmans River confluence with the Gulf. Tomorrow will be very interesting.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 4—Mar 8, early morning I couldn't wait to get up and see how Bones and Captgnarly were doing this morning. They are both down in the Cape Sable area. Bones, who had a nice rest night before last is still on the move, nearing East Cape Sable. Captgnarly has stopped just north of Northwest Cape, about 5 miles behind. Bones is doing an excellent job of lining himself up to cross from Flamingo (Ckpt 3) to the finish in Key Largo. You can read about our aborted trip through this section here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=930 While Captgnarly sleeps, Bones is going into Flamingo, sleeping the rest of the day, then about 8-9 PM, he will start across on a rising tide and light headwinds. Just the opposite of our aborted trip. Of course, he was on that trip, so he learned what NOT to do.

Captgnarly is not out of this Island race by a long shot. He is one VERY tough dude. I understand that he has broken an aka bar and, with a couple mangrove branches, splintered it back together. While Bones sleeps, he could make his way into FLM and be ready to make the night crossing to the finish. Stay tuned.

Least you Hobie Island affectionatos think the Islands are leaving everyone in their wake, there are already 5 sea kayakers in Flamingo.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 4—Mar 8, late afternoon Shows what I know. Both Bones and Captgnarly are on the move and not in the direction I expected. Captgnarly is heading south (southwest actually) and Bones is heading west towards East Cape Sable. If you read about our practice trip in this area http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=930%20you%20know%20that%20we%20got%20stuck%20on%20the%20flats%20more%20than%20once.%20%20Painful!!!%20It%20seems%20Bones%20remembers%20this%20experience%20and%20wanted%20nothing%20to%20do%20with%20it.%20%20He%20apparently%20is%20going%20the%20"southern"%20route.%20%20Unfortunately,%20by%20totally%20avoiding%20the%20flats,%20he%20is%20adding%20miles%20(10+)%20to%20this%20route.%20%20Captgnarly%20is%20taking%20a%20more%20directly%20south%20route--it%20is%20much%20shorted.%20%20Whichever%20way%20you%20go,%20the%20southern%20route%20is%20much%20longer%20than%20the%20"straight%20east"%20route--35%20miles.%20%20I%20estimate%20Captgnarly's%20route%20is%20about%2045%20miles%20and%20Bone's%20route%20is%20over%2060.%20We'll%20watch%20them%20tonight.%20%20To%20add%20to%20their%20labors,%20the%20will%20will%20go%20to%20near%20zero%20tonight.%20Ugh!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 4—Mar 8, 10:30 PM Bones is behaving strangely. After leaving Flamingo in mid-afternoon, he went west to East Cape Sable, then backtracked to the northeast to the mouth of Homestead Canal where he appears to be anchored at this time. I have no idea what he is thinking or planning. He may simply be trying to get the demons out of his head. On the other hand, Captgnarly is behaving quite logically and after going south from Flamingo about 5.6 miles, he turned due east and is currently resting on Little Rabbit Key. He should finish his EC and be the first Island into Key Largo tomorrow.

Of course, we will keep our eye on Bones.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 5—Mar 9, 8:30 AM Bones has not moved from last night. Definitely bothersome, but he has a ground crew who should be in touch with him. Captgnarly, on the other hand, is 5 mi east of Little Rabbit Key and making good progress toward the finish.

Jim Czarnowski, our favorite Hobie engineer, is moving, and it looks like he is aiming to go directly east from Flamingo. He is doing our ill-fated route which we attempted last Jan. He is going on a rising tide, which is good, but it is a low high tide. Maybe he will make it. He has been through here before, and he is determined. We'll wish him luck and watch his progress today. It is about 35 miles by this route and he has an 8-10 mph headwind. If he doesn't make it, he will be stuck until this evening when a much higher tide is coming in, and winds will drop to near zero. Hard to sit around and twiddle your thumbs all day waiting for the night tide.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 5—Mar 9, 7:00 PM I believe Bones has dropped out and is no longer pressing his SPOT. It is a shame, because he did so well. That is what the Everglades Challenge does to your mind. After traveling over 210 mi and reaching Ckpt 3 with 35 mi to go to the finish, he could not finish.

Captgnarly finished early in the day and is the first Island to finish.

Jim Czarnowski has made it across and is about 8 mi due west of the finish in Key Largo. He will finish before midnight.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 5—Mar 9, 10:00 PM Things are winding down as far as the Islands are concerned. ZeroTheHero/GreenMountainGal are 19 mi straight west of the finish. It is a very clear moon lite night here is south Florida. They could push on to the finish. We will know tomorrow morning. Lest I make it sound simple for ZTH/GMG to get to the finish, it is a very obstacle strewn path with islands, shoals, shallows before them.

MrMako, piloting his tandem, is hunkered down on Dump Key about a mile and a half west of ZTH.

Jim Czarnowski and his AI 2 will finish in Key Largo in a few minutes.

All is calm at the end of this 5th day, although there are still plenty of sea kayakers out. Also, Pelican and his grandson piloting their tandem are camped at Flamingo. They will make their way across to the Finish tomorrow.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 6—Mar 10, 6:20 AM ZeroTheHero/GreenMountainGal traveled all night and are 3 miles from the finish. My friend and sea kayaker AlexO is near ZTH and will finish soon.

MrMako, piloting his tandem, has not moved. He is 20 mi west of the Finish. He will finish today

Jim Czarnowski finished before midnight. He was the 2nd Island to finish. Pelican and his Grandson are preparing to leave Flamingo. About 8 sea kayakers have left Flamingo on their final day into the Finish. I think the kayakers will have an easier day than Pelican.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 6—Mar 10, 9:15 AM I have learned that Bones had a medical emergency and had to be rescued. He is still in the hospital, but doing OK. Apparently, he just pushed himself too hard and too long. A frequent problem for EC competitors.

His AI 2 has been picked up and is in Flamingo.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 80  Next