Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T2 Gennaker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have seen several pictures of the T2 rigged with a Gennaker. This seems like it could be fitted to the Getaway? I just added the spinnaker, but I have to say that I like the Gennaker rigging better, but maybe it wouldn't fit?

Post subject: Re: T2 Gennaker
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, if you want a furling Gennaker go to a local sailmaker (or even an online sailmaker) and have one built for the Getaway--you'll have to take some measurements, but it ain't hard...why repurpose something when you can have a perfect custom job? Probably will be about the same cost. You will have to get your own furler, but you can choose between single or continuous line (I'd go continuous if I were you).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Actually the Getaway and the T2 have similar weights, mast heights and sail sq footage. The spinnaker kit for the Getaway is actually the same as the H16.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SO? The suggestion remains the same, if you go to a sailmaker you will get a perfect sail made for your boat and your normal sailing conditions instead of a generically designed sail made for average conditions worldwide. Don't get me wrong, Hobie hires a pretty good sailmaker and the sails are well made; but he/she uses software to make the foils. Decisions the sailmaker makes include amount of camber to design into a specific sail. Worldwide, the average beach condition is typically 8-12 kts; if you sail in 8-12 kts predominantly, hobie sails will work very well for you. If, however, you sail in lighter breeze or heavy breeze...you could do better. Of course, if you don't care and just want a "hobie" everything....that's OK by me; seems most people who own hobies are wedded to the brand, and like I said, they make a good generic product. Since I come from a bigger boat with no established one design sailmaker, I'm used to shopping for sailmakers (until I started making my own).

asymspin/gennaker design for boats also depend on the AWA you prefer to sail as well as how much apparent wind your boat develops in your normal winds. It is quite a large selection. Here's an example from North Sails (and how they entice big boat owners into buying LOTS of sails). You will need the latest Acrobat Reader to read this thing...http://www.voiles-alternatives.com/docu ... _v3_en.pdf

If you want an answer to your original question, you gotta know the luff, foot and leach length of your spinnaker and compare that with the luff, foot and leach length of the T2 gennaker. You have some leeway, though. You probably have some line between the sprit and the tack as well as extra halyard above the head. Also, you can add another eyestrap on your spin pole closer to the bow if the gennaker's luff is shorter, or add another hound on the mast, and/or move the turning block sheeting location. You can make nearly anything fit and work. Heck, with the right top down furling system, you can furl your existing spinnaker with no modifications; or you can have a sailmaker add an antitorque line into the luff of your spinnaker and use a bottom up furler. All sorts of possibilities.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You may be right, but there are not a lot of "local sail makers" in Utah. :), I just noticed a Gennaker kit for the H16 in the parts list. How does one go about designing a proper sail, I wonder?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kevinbatchelor wrote:
. How does one go about designing a proper sail, I wonder?

Gennakers are what used to be called screachers. It is a combo genoa/spinnaker design made for going to weather in light breeze and is a good reaching sail with wind from in front of the beam. Typically it is a light but firm fabric. Of course, the fabrics and nomenclature have changed over the years so you probably can find a gennaker made with nylon. To design a proper sail, you need to know the local windspeeds when you will be sailing, how much apparent wind your boat can develop on different points of sail (for example, a heavy keelboat can't use a downwind sail designed for wind coming in front of the beam, it just can't go fast enough). The Getaway is a reasonably fast boat with a top speed around 15 kts. It does develop adequate apparent wind to be able to use a flatter cut downwind sail. You also have to know how you want to sail...do you want to be on edge and trap out going downwind or do you want to go low and slow? You also have to know several measurements. Distance from the halyard exit (hound) to the sprit end; distance from the hound to where you want to sheet; distance from the sprit end to where you want to sheet (these two form a ratio where you then figure out how long to make the foot and leach).

Even though you live in Utah, there are local sailmakers, try Great Salt Lake Sailmakers in Kaysville.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II