Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whitewater:
If it was me I would still do the aluminum trick down near the bottom of the fin. It really helps with survivability when going over coral beds and small bumps when in rivers. We hit a lot of shallow water and mangrove roots around here.

I don't always bother gluing the aluminum down, I just wrap the end with 3M electrical tape, (easily replaced periodically).

Yea I have bent quite a few mirage drive rods, they are easily straightened at least a few times. I think the whole trick is to not try to pedal thru when you touch something with the fin, (that's when the real damage occurs typically). After a while you train your feet to react quickly and feel for objects with your feet. Our fins typically last several seasons, I typically straighten my steel rods 5-6 times before I automatically replace them (the straightened ones become backups).
The mirage drive rods and fins are consumable items. Same applies with the cables, over time the stuff wears out. Up until this year I was peddling on average 15 miles a week (had to back off a little because of health reasons). It's pretty important to clean and lubricate the drives periodically if you want them to last. I upgraded my vintage 2012 drives to the glide technology a while back, (definitely worthwhile).
Just tryin to help.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as I am concerned, MATT is the face, sole, and heartbeat of HOBIE USA... He is very prompt to reply to concerns and complaints on this site. He has help me several times in the past six years with my hobie purchases. Please keep up the great work you do for the international company...

Thanks a bunch MATT!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I've got an issue of my own. I just picked up my new Outback and set it up in the garage to cut the hole for the rectangular hatch (can't believe the gasket (backordered) doesn't come with it).

I put in the fins. 1st pull of the reverse cable and it came out without shifting. I was able to shift the mechanism by hand. I threaded the cable all the way back in and pulled a 2nd time with the same result. It looks like the Lever Shifter Right / Reverse (81493001) is stripped inside, but I'm not certain. My dealer has been great, but is over 2 hours drive from me. They offered to send me the replacement part, but I don't see how I can possibly replace the broken part on my own. There is a metal cable that is looped through a hole in the shift lever arm and this cable is connected deep inside the drive itself. My dealer offered to perform the repair for me, but I need to ship my drive to them and here is my question. How can I remove the fins so the damn thing will fit in a box for shipment? I replaced the fins on my old (2004 era) drive, but this looks different and its so new I can't find any instructions.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/davidschafer/IMG_0421_zps34nfb6ok.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/davidschafer/IMG_0422_zpsa7prsbbj.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/davidschafer/IMG_0424_zpsjo2qy7k1.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:22 am 
Site Admin

That is a odd one. Warranty guys say they have seen one other like this. The lever appears damaged by a tap possibly. There is a "hook" that the line loops over.

Note that the the tendon has a rod that extends forward and closes the hook when fully screwed in to the lever. It should be a simple replacement. You should be able to clear plastic debris from the damaged hook area and pull the line out of the hook. Untie the bungee, unscrew the screw and the lever will come off.

Quote:
I just picked up my new Outback and set it up in the garage to cut the hole for the rectangular hatch (can't believe the gasket (backordered) doesn't come with it).

There is a hatch kit #71707003 that includes the gasket, hatch and the screws. You must have received the hatch only part number.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How can I remove MD 180 fins? I'll need to know this when I get the turbo fins anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

MD180 Turbo Fin Kit instructions:

https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/72067001_8VpDJIK.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, a month and a half ago, I picked up the one fin that Hobie sent my local dealer. they were supposed to send 2. So, my local dealer gave me one from his stock out of a package. I took it home and it sat on my desk until this past weekend when I finally got the time and the gumption to install it. Upon inspection, one of the new fins was split up the same seam. I took it back to my local dealer. He agreed to replace it. But he pulled a new one out of the package and that one was split as well. He gave me another that was not split. My point is that all of this is very troubling. Matt...Please tell me a new design fin is about to be released!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

whitewater wrote:
So, a month and a half ago, I picked up the one fin that Hobie sent my local dealer. they were supposed to send 2. So, my local dealer gave me one from his stock out of a package. I took it home and it sat on my desk until this past weekend when I finally got the time and the gumption to install it. Upon inspection, one of the new fins was split up the same seam. I took it back to my local dealer. He agreed to replace it. But he pulled a new one out of the package and that one was split as well. He gave me another that was not split. My point is that all of this is very troubling. Matt...Please tell me a new design fin is about to be released!

This post got me a bit worried! Have just ordered a MD180 and I am very curious about the material in the fins. Is this a problem? If so, is the problem known by Hobie and adressed?

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

And yesterday, I too pulled on my reverse and broke off the handle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinwater skinner wrote:
As far as I am concerned, MATT is the face, sole, and heartbeat of HOBIE USA... He is very prompt to reply to concerns and complaints on this site. He has help me several times in the past six years with my hobie purchases. Please keep up the great work you do for the international company...

Thanks a bunch MATT!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

whitewater wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/MYQ9P

This happened on my maiden voyage. Yes, I hit a sandbar, but just barely. It was the maiden voyage. Believe me, I was taking it easy. The next day, the same thing happened to another fin while half-pedaling over an oyster reef. Hobie says they will not warranty. I call BS. Is this what I can expect from a $4000.00 kayak. I'll need to BUY a new set of fins every time I bump something?

This is exactly what happened to one of my fins on my new Hobie Outback, bought in early 2017. I'm going to get a replacement fin today and the dealer promises to file a claim. I hope Hobie will back this up. There was no sign of trauma to the edge of the fin, except for the clean split down the side.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

We will replace any fins that part in this way. There is a bonding issue between the leading edge material and the fin rubber. They commonly look like they are splitting as the two materials do not bond tightly. There is some mechanical connection, but some are tearing far to easily. Engineers are working on solutions and found a new material. Not sure how long before it gets into production.

Tendon failures were addressed some time ago and there are kits for upgrading them at no charge.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As per usual Hobie has stepped in to address a potential issue and defuse a potential "situation" without delay or argument as soon as it has come to their attention. I would call that Putting The Customer First and top notch Customer service not to mention a real commitment to more than stand by their warranty and their products... ... so how about withdrawing that "I call BS" comment?!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there,

I own a Pro Angler 14 2017 since may.
It has been a love story so far :D and I've done something like 10 fishing sessions since I bought it.
I always clear water rince everything each time and oil the MD every 3 sessions.

Inspecting the MD after the last session I noticed a groove between the leading edge material and the fin rubber.
I'm pretty worried about it because it looks like it will sooner or later tear itself apart (maybe while padling far away from the coast :roll:).
I fish in strong current and tides and I'm obviously concerned with security...

Here are some pictures :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B1M88BYHNdjA4Yej2

To my knowledge I didn't hit anything hard and it was operated like it was made for.

My questions are :
- What should I do with this MD ? Should I tape it or something like that ?
- Is a new design/material in study at Hobie and when will we be able to get a replacement ?

Thanks for your answers and sorry for my english (I'm french).

Julien

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Admin

A groove is not uncommon. The two materials parting line. I would carry spares just in case though. Remember you can pedal on a single fin too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)