Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking at buying my first CAT within the next month. Going for the Getaway to meet the needs to get entire family of 4 out on the water. My experience....One summer of sailing on lasers and such back in 2000. I want to look at getting some hands on time with someone experienced for a couple of weeks before my kids get out of school. Looking for someone willing to pass on some knowledge. Any thing would help. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there a sailing school nearby? Some lessons might be a good idea.

I've sailed on the Chesapeake-great fun-big water. I would recommend you buy a handheld water proof VHF radio and a set of flares to keep on board. And a compass, just a boy scout hand compass is fine. As a friend told me when I put my Getaway on Lake Michigan: "Small boat. Big lake!"

How old are your kids? Good swimmers? Get good PFDs and always wear them. I've never capsized due to being overpowered by the wind, but I've been capsized by a sudden wind shift or by coming around a point and a gust catching me off guard. So practice capsize recovery in a controlled condition, with the kids, so they know what to expect and don't panic.

I started sailing with my family when my kids were little-2, 5, and 7. Now I'm sailing with them and their kids at 2, 5, and 8! They all love it, or at least they pretend to! ;-)

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The getaway is great for families. It is easier to rig than most other cats. I have had one since Oct and am very pleased. It is a very stable boat and is no slug on the water. I have sailed on lakes and out in the Floridat Gulf. My wife and I are sailing Ft desoto / Shell key area next week with another couple on board. . Have someone take u out on one before u decide. Be sure to get one with the wings if u decide it's the boat for u.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might want to repost this in the Open Cat forum. There may not be any Getaway sailors where you are, but a couple rides on any beach cat will let you get the hang of it. If you can sail a laser, you can sail a Getaway; same principles apply except no heel. Major differences will be how hard it is to tack and how poorly it points in comparison and how much faster you go.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I appreciate the advice. My kids are 12 and 13 and are pretty good swimmers. I have been looking at lessons, but they are really expensive up this way. I was truly hoping to find a group that would be able to take me under their wing a couple of times. I'll definitely get some good quality time on the boat before bringing my kids on board. I'll see if i get any hits in the open cat forum. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are looking for a group, check out the Hobie fleets in your area.

http://div11.hobieclass.com/fleets/ click on the google map for more info

I live in your area, send me a PM if you have questions