Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i11s transducer mounting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been enjoying fishing from my i11s. It's an awesome platform with one thing missing & that's a good mounting spot for a fishfinder transducer. Currently I have my transducer slung over the side on some 1/4" aluminum rod but I was wondering if the Hobie engineers could add a better solution for next year's model?

I thought about mounting the transducer where the optional skeg attaches but that would involve running the ducer wire exposed along almost the entire deck & then a section of wire along the bottom to the skeg mounting area. Any ideas appreciated to solve this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am using the RAM transducer arm because I also use this sonar off the side of my Oasis and I wanted to easily use it from either boat. The transducer arm might seem too long but it only needs to be rotated down enough to get the transducer even with the bottom of the boat.

For the i11s, I am using a small wood fixture at the front to hold the display, transducer arm, and battery.

The RAM transducer arm just pivots up to bring the transducer along side of the kayak (out of the water) for when I am moving fast and don't want the drag...

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-316-18-TRA1-NB

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You are a pioneer for this particular boat, this is exactly the kind of modular sonar system I want for the i11s. So far I've mounted all my rod holders/flag poles to my rotomolded cooler, don't want to mess with the glue-on plates at all. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was thinking of something similar, but what about a plastic cutting board as a base instead of wood? It's a little more expensive, but would be waterproof and less likely to develop rough edges or splinters that could abrade the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For mounting a transducer on an iSeries kayak, we recommend using RAM Bond-A-Base Mount (part no. 72023042), RAM Base 1" (part. no 72023045), and RAM Transducer Arm Mount (part no. 72023035):

RAM Bond-A-Base Mount (part no. 72023042)

RAM Base 1" (part no. 72023045) - No Photo Available

RAM Transducer Arm Mount (part no. 72023035)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HStrech wrote:
For mounting a transducer on an iSeries kayak, we recommend using RAM Bond-A-Base Mount (part no. 72023042), RAM Base 1" (part. no 72023045), and RAM Transducer Arm Mount (part no. 72023035):

RAM Bond-A-Base Mount (part no. 72023042)

RAM Base 1" (part no. 72023045) - No Photo Available

RAM Transducer Arm Mount (part no. 72023035)

exactly, that is what I am using, the RAM Transducer Arm Mount and 1" base, plus I mount the sonar display on the same board, did not need to attach anything to the boat hull...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mjkirshner wrote:
I was thinking of something similar, but what about a plastic cutting board as a base instead of wood? It's a little more expensive, but would be waterproof and less likely to develop rough edges or splinters that could abrade the boat.

I think that a cutting board material would work fine. The straight grain redwood board and little oak pieces that I used have well rounded edges and corners and are not likely to develop any issues, IMO. Salt water is so far not causing any issues. cheers, roger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Salty. wrote:
I thought about mounting the transducer where the optional skeg attaches but that would involve running the ducer wire exposed along almost the entire deck & then a section of wire along the bottom to the skeg mounting area. Any ideas appreciated to solve this problem.

I too was thinking about mounting the transducer to the fin box. Thought about the cable management issues as well... I found these on Amazon. My thought was to glue them on using the Staybond adhesive if the "SUPER STRONG 3M VHB 5952 PRESSURE SENSITIVE ADHESIVE" doesn't work. I figure the sticky pads will work long enough for a proof of concept.

Cable Clips with Strong Self-Adhesive Pads
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSWS6Z7?psc=1

I was going to space them out along the outer edge/seam of the board, mounting them to the main chamber, running the length of the boat (rear tail to the seat). This way you could take the Fishfinder off the boat completely for long term storage or whatever. The clips would stay on the boat and likely not interfere with folding/storage. For routine use, the transducer wires would stay on the boat.

I bought the lightweight Ram mount for my Hook 5 and I plan to mount it to the side of the chair or leg post. The fishfinder battery box and excess cable will be under the chair. So the only wire you see is running back to the transducer in the rear, and the clips should keep it out of the way.

If I can not find a way to make /modify a bracket to slide in to the fin box, then I was going to buy an NRS 2 inch SUP fin and mount the transducer to that. If you mount the transducer to the rear of the fin so the bottom is flush with the bottom of the fin, in theory it would provide a little protection to the transducer... http://www.nrs.com/product/86101.02/nrs-sup-board-fins

That is the plan at least...I'll post some pics in the next few weeks once everything is rigged up.

-Mack

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used the scotty mounts for my transducer, that was available im my shop and works fone for me.

I am sure RAM will do well as well

cu

Uwe