Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway v. AI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone compare the sailing experience on these two crafts? I like the enthusiasm everyone seems to have for the AI but wouldn't the Getaway have a better fun factor for a lake or the ocean? In the AI's corner, it seems like it is better if the wind is slight. Also, it would be easier to transport. However, I am assuming it is slower, you can't really have passengers and you are sitting in one spot. Am I missing something?

Not trying to start fights here. Actually, I am considering the Getaway for a family craft (spouse and two kids), mulling the possibilities for a ski boat or something we can spend the night on, or maybe increasing the kayak fleet. (Currently have an '06 Outback for fishing). I am probably going to demo the Getaway at the beach this Spring. I have seen the AI at my local store but have not had a demo.

Post subject: Go with AI's
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I too was considering one or the other. I went with 2 AI's and am very happy with them. You can use them bare (no outriggers or sail) and they are fast boats. Or for a little rougher water one or both outriggers. And then there is sailing. Boy does it move and handle well! The deciding factor for me was whether I wanted a boat I needed to launch from a boat launch each time or 2 that I could put in at any beach. Also the AI's do handle 350# so 2 (not so heavy) adults or an adult and a child is not to bad for play off shore. I've taught reluctant wives of friends to sail it by sitting in the back well and instructing. Also, when I'm sailing 3-5 miles off the coast and the wind dies, I just smile and peddle back. Try that with the Getaway. I still wouldn't mind a Getaway as an additional "toy" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Considering that you are looking at something to use with the family. Kids start out small (will fit on AI with you), but soon they get bigger.
The Getaway is a great boat. It looks to be able to boat camp or even carry all the camping supplies necessary with a capacity of 1000#.

This boat just says "family fun" all over it.

Think motor mount on that Getaway, electric or two stroke, and you can go anywhere. Thats pretty all purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own both the Getaway and the AI, and love them both, but for different reasons.

I can't tell you which one will be best in your case, but here is why I like each of them.

I love the AI for the quiet mornings before the wind comes up. It glides on the water almost effortlessly and I can deploy the sail when the wind eventually comes. It's rock solid, and lets me explore shallow coves. The mirage drive allows for hours of pedaling. And being a single person boat, I don't feel oblige to take anyone along when I just want my own time.

The Getaway takes a little more effort to get going. While I can get the AI from the trailer to the water in less than 15 min, the Getaway takes me 20-25 min to launch by myself from the time I get to the parking lot. Also, if the wind dies you don't have the Mirage drive to take you home, but a small electric motor pushes it easily. I have a Minnkota 30 with a small 30Ah AGM battery, and I get about 30-45 min of get-back-home time when the wind dies depending on whether there's any chop. The Getaway moves nicely, though it's not an H16. It's easy to sail solo, but can also carry the whole family. It's the ultimate social boat!

I'm bias so I'd recommend you get both :lol:

All kidding aside, You can't go wrong with either. If your kids are very young, they'll probably won't get on the AI often (try keeping a 3 yr old quiet on a yak for more than 5 minutes). On the other hand, they'll love the Getaway's tramp.

If you must trailer the boat to your sailing grounds, the Getaway will take more prep time. It can be rigged solo, but is easier for two people. And if you want to go camping, you can load enough gear (within reason) for the kids.

Get either, get both, have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like Xavier, I own both the Getaway and the AI. And Like Xavier, I love them both for different reasons.

I got the Getaway first after having a 16 and 2 17's. The Getaway is slower than the 16 or 17, but not dramatically so. It is easier to set up, easier to maintain and easier to sail than either the 16 or 17. Those pictures you see of 6 people on a Getaway are for real. I do it all the time. I sail off the beach in Florida and people are always asking for rides. And when the wind is up, going solo is all the fun you want.

I got the AI so I could go sailing when I only had a few hours. I have never owned a kayak before and I don't fish. I liked the versatility of the boat, it can be used so many different ways. I take it back in the intercoastal areas to explore. I go under low bridges by lifting the mast out and peddling through. Then I come out the inlets through the rollers and turn around and ride them back in. You know you are having fun when the surfers try to surf beside you.

The AI is slower than the Getaway, but go-karts are slower than cars and we still love to drive them. And if you haven't used that Mirage drive before, you are in for a treat. It's hard to believe how well those little flippers can move that boat.

So, Like Xavier, I also think you should have both, they are that much fun. But if I could only have one, I would probably go with the Getaway, mostly because more people can have fun on it than the AI.

Now the perfect boat would be an 18' to 20' AI. Roller furling mast (Bravo or bigger), tandem Mirage drives, seating for 3, and the same ama/aka setup. A true trailerable PLASTIC trimaran. Now that would be a platform to play on. Matt, if your listening, I'll order the first one.

You can't go wrong with either boat, but if there is a family involved, get the Getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Now the perfect boat would be an 18' to 20' AI

Matt, thats two of us that will order one up.

John
Myrtle Beach, SC