Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did the wire kit upgrade, and it's presenting the same problem as the old spectra lines: the steering tension gets very loose on the water (significant play), then goes tight as a drum after a day or two of storage, to the point where I can barely turn the steering knob.

Is this the steel cable contracting because of heat, moisture...? The tubing material contracting? I'm running out of cable on the left side for adjustments...

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So my steering almost completely froze on the water yesterday, couldn't figure it out (no obstruction, lines were loose) until I recalled a gentleman on here with a similar problem after upgrading to the wire cables. I think the tubes compressed and pinched the cables, will search his post and solution now. This is beyond frustrating, I've never folded the steering tube with the kayak, but I can't think of anything else that is causing this problem...

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have had positive results by lubricating the round steering control that mounts on the seat. I remove the bolt holding the steering lever on, lift the round top and lubricate around the perimeter (where plastic can rub on plastic) with WD40 or white lithium grease, I also make sure to not over tighten the bolt when putting it back together, just tight enough to rotate but not wiggle...cheers, roger PS- I'm also still using the spectra lines.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a fix for tight steering on early 2016 model i series - it requires the boat to be returned to Hobie for re-work / have your dealer get a hold of the warranty department so we can start the process of replacing your tubes and upgrading your lines.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger wrote:
I have had positive results by lubricating the round steering control that mounts on the seat. I remove the bolt holding the steering lever on, lift the round top and lubricate around the perimeter (where plastic can rub on plastic) with WD40 or white lithium grease, I also make sure to not over tighten the bolt when putting it back together, just tight enough to rotate but not wiggle...cheers, roger PS- I'm also still using the spectra lines.

I'm waiting for everything to dry thoroughly, and I'll spray some lube inside the steering cap. It's definitely not binding on the rudder end, so hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks again Roger!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
We have a fix for tight steering on early 2016 model i series - it requires the boat to be returned to Hobie for re-work / have your dealer get a hold of the warranty department so we can start the process of replacing your tubes and upgrading your lines.

Ok, according to the Hobie rep I spoke to last year, my i11s shipped with the upgraded spectra lines already, which still caused binding issues. I swapped it out for the steel cable kit, and it was buttery smooth for the first couple of trips until this latest mishap.

To confirm: are you saying that even the boats shipped *after* the spectra line upgrades require this factory fix to the steering tube? or do I already have the upgraded tubes? How many factory upgrades were there for the steering issues on this boat?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reason162 wrote:
Jbernier wrote:

Ok, according to the Hobie rep I spoke to last year, my i11s shipped with the upgraded spectra lines already, which still caused binding issues. I swapped it out for the steel cable kit, and it was buttery smooth for the first couple of trips until this latest mishap.

To confirm: are you saying that even the boats shipped *after* the spectra line upgrades require this factory fix to the steering tube? or do I already have the upgraded tubes? How many factory upgrades were there for the steering issues on this boat?

I have a 2017 model. How do I know if it had the spectra lines? I had it out 3 times. Steering was waaaay loose. Lots of play. Asked the ACK rep. He showed me how to tighten the lines. Did it this weekend. Steering is great now. Only the starboard side needed tightening. Noticed the line was frayed where it wrapped around the screw head. Is this common? Seems like there should be a better solution to protect the steering line. If that snapped on the water I'd be SOL. (Note to self, throw a small screw driver in the tackle box!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mack wrote:
I have a 2017 model. How do I know if it had the spectra lines? I had it out 3 times. Steering was waaaay loose. Lots of play. Asked the ACK rep. He showed me how to tighten the lines. Did it this weekend. Steering is great now. Only the starboard side needed tightening. Noticed the line was frayed where it wrapped around the screw head. Is this common? Seems like there should be a better solution to protect the steering line. If that snapped on the water I'd be SOL. (Note to self, throw a small screw driver in the tackle box!).

That...looks very bad. Maybe check the screw for sharp edges and either replace the screw or add a thin plastic washer to protect your spectra line? And yes that is spectra, the steel wires came in an upgrade kit that you DIY on the first gen boats.

Here's a question for you: after tightening up your starboard line, have you taken it out on the water? Did you have to do further adjustments to the steering tension?

Update on my i11s: after speaking with Hobie, boat is on its way back to HQ for a factory fix. I bit the bullet on losing 2 weeks of fishing season, hopefully this will resolve my steering issues once and for all!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I apply dry lubricant to the spectra lines at each entrance to the tubing. By applying when the line is at it's max extension I can get more of it inside the tubing. I never made the change to the wire lines, still have the original spectra and mine work smoothly and easy. Dry lubricant like 3M 08897 doesn't pick up small bits of dirt which can clog the tubes like an oil-based lube does. I spray each line every couple of months and things work great.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems to me from the photo, that the spectra line is wound CCW around the screw.
I believe its better to wrap the spectra line CW around the screw, before tightening the screw to prevent damage.