Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many of the Hobie Island You Tube videos have Saling data shown. I would like to know how to import sailing data (speed, direction, compass, etc.) in a video clip. Where does it come from and what devices capture it?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ditto.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's probably not important to the average viewer, but maybe very important to the person who took and made the video. Depends on what their intent was.

I generally don't put that stuff in my videos as I think it takes away from the basic on-the-water experience. But I have to admit those that have the bare minimum, such as speed, don't seem to lose much from the overall viewing experience.

There are lots of gadgets and apps that will record all that stuff while you're sailing. I like the Velocitek Speed Puck. Others use apps on their smartphones. Lots of good ones out there and some you can get for free.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think this is what you are trying to describe.

The one I use is dashware ( http://www.dashware.net/), though there are many others out there. I believe dashware is now hooked up with gopro, which will likely make the interface even better, though it's currently all really easy to use. I love my Gopro....

Here is one of my many extremely boring videos posted using dashware where I show my speed and direction while peddling my tri-power TI out in 4 mph wind ( my boat is an extreme handful and physically exhausting to operate at higher speeds offshore so I seldom push it hard anymore and tend to only go out in below 5mph wind)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVV6yUBNl4&t=7s
[youtube2]EGVV6yUBNl4&t=7s[/youtube2]

In contrast here is another day in 6 mph winds, where you can clearly see from the video the boat is extremely exhausting to operate. Just watching a video without the dashware displayed, it's really difficult to discern any speed differences between the two different videos. I kinda like the dashware, though it doesn't make my videos any less boring (lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npwA3izDiw

FE

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If i'm understanding this, video is recorded on a GOPRO separetly from the GPS data. The GPS must be able to track and record contiuously for that period. GPS data then imported into your computer and converted into video(Dashware). Then merge the 2 videos in a video editing software. Is this how it is done? Do you recomend a GPS? How about an Android phone?
This all sounds time consuming.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is correct, most Iphones, Ipads, and android phones already have gps's in them. You just press start at the same time you start your video. I usually count 3-2-1 with my fingers into the video then press start. I then edit that part out for timing.
The dash software uses very little power. I recommend getting a lifeproof case, I keep my Iphone in my shirt pocket (the shirts I always wear have a velcro flap over my pockets.
I also use the Isailer app for navigation which is pretty good, though there are many other good ones. However I'm offshore sometimes and need pretty good nav software plus paper charts (always) and a good gps and compasses as backup. Probably a good idea anyone going offshore learn and practice navigating without your fancy electronics (just in case). Particularly in places like the keys where almost daily storms roll in every afternoon and visability goes down to a few hundred yards at best. If your 3-5 miles out finding your way back to the tiny Island (key west) can become very difficult. Just sayin. Actually I've. been very scared in the middle of Sarasota bay in fog, (can't see 100 ft).
FE

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your other option is to buy an action camera that already has GPS built into it. Garmin has one that I've seen used on some sailing videos.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas