Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Everyone-

I'm looking for a place to sail within 90 minutes drive of Philadelphia. Ideally there would be somewhere I can keep my boat on a trailer not too far away also - some club, or some place I can pay.

I really need suggestions on this, so please write in with anything you know about. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Search the places to sail section on this forum, lots of info there.

The google map has all the good spots near Philadelphia marked.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 053215&z=9

Division 11 has a regatta at Spray Beach YC next weekend and it's one the best spots, come join us. You can race or just sail for fun.

http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you looking for a place to day sail, or a place to keep your boat all season?

Here are a few:

Trixies Landing / Berkeley Island County Park, NJ - excelent launch site on Barnegat Bay. Dirt parking lot and launch area. Small beach area. No fee. Marina across the street. Blows like stink most afternoons in the summer when the wind is from the South. The marina has some docks and possible boat/trailer storage, you would have to talk to the owner, Bob.

Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club in Atlantic Highlands, NJ (Fleet 250). Full-on catamaran club with probably 80 or so boats on the beach throughout the season. You would need to contact the club, but I believe they allow a couple guest visits before they require you to become a member.

Jacobsen Park, Lavallette, NJ. Barnegat bay launch on the North side of the Rt 37 bridge. Small dirt lot for boat trailers. There is a $50 in season trailer fee plus fees for car parking and beach badges. Small guarded swimming beach adjacent to launch as well as jungle gyms etc for kids nearby. Beach badge will also allow you to go to the ocean beaches.

13th Ave, Seaside Park, NJMunicipal trailer lot launching into Barnegat Bay on the Soutb Side of the Rt 37 bridge. $20 daily parking fee in season. Very small beach for launching a beach cat and the only way to put the boat in the water is by launching it down the boat ramp, walking it around the dock, and then pulling it up the beach (a little bit of a PITA, but doable).

Spring Lake catamaran club, North End Beach, Spring Lake, NJ (Fleet 944). Ocean launch with Beach storage May thru October (no daily use). $150 for the season. Must get a permit to store boat.

Lake Nockamixon, PA. Tohickon Landing. Inland lake in Quakertown, PA. Grassy launch with ample trailer parking. Typical small lake sailing. Can be a little gusty/shifty but generally pretty steady on SW direction. Required to have a park issued launch permit or valid state state registration to launch.

Spray Beach Yacht Club, LBI NJ. Full on yacht club with all the amenities that allows beach cats. Launches into Barnegat ay. No daily use, must be a member. Only exception is the yearly week end regatta.

Shore Acres Yacht Club, Brick NJ. Full yacht club that allows beach cats. Launches into the North end of Barnegat Bay. Minimal amenities due to damage during Hurricaine Sandy but rebuilding. No daily use.

sm

Last edited by srm on Sun May 28, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll add two more to Steve's list:

Leonardo, NJ. Public beach adjacent to the state marina. About ½ mile west of the sandy hook cat club. no fee. you need beach wheels to get your boat to the water. parking in lot next to beach.

South Amboy, NJ. Public ramp at the site of the former boat club. Next to Lighthouse Bay development. Very little beach and a finger pier to help offload. Not the prettiest spot but good for the western end of Raritan Bay.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paris wrote:
I'm looking for a place to sail within 90 minutes drive of Philadelphia. Ideally there would be somewhere I can keep my boat on a trailer not too far away also - some club, or some place I can pay.!

Pleasantville Yacht Club....Dunno the exact annual dues, but they are more than reasonable.

I launch/sail nearby, but I haul my AI from Paoli every time, so the club does not make sense for me.

1:25 on a Sunday morning, more like 1:45 real-world during the week - but most of that extra is Vine Street and the Sure-Kill...so maybe a reliable hour for you depending on where in Philly.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That google map is pretty neat. The place that I sail is not on there. Is there a way I can have a marker put where we sail on that google map so others can see?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And nobody has mentioned Marsh Creek.

The wind there sucks canal water: gusty, shifty, and swirly... but it is close, there are no motorboats allowed, and there is a certain aesthetic allure to the place.

When I am not going down to Lakes Bay, I do my share of pedal-sailing there - it's kind of fun to race the regular sailboats by cheating (pedaling dead upwind through the lulls...and pedaling in general).

Pennsylvania wants about twenty bucks for a 2-year "Launch Permit" - sold at the on-site ranger's office on the Eagle PA side of the lake (there are two entrances... and the Eagle (East) side is the one with the swimming pools, a rather large boat rental concession, and the ranger's office).

The other side is the West (Lyndell PA) side... but there is no road-around-the-park joining the two sides so you need to pick the right side....

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've sailed the H16 at Marsh Creek. It's crap, and it's not that close to Philly. But IIRC there was mast-up storage on the Lyndell side last time I was there.

For day sailing and no storage, I would absolutely go to the Susquehanna Rover, just below the Conowingo dam, any day of the week over Marsh Creek, even though it's farther. But there may be a good place near New Castle, which wouldn't be as far and would have even bigger water.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages