Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all,

I'm brand new here and hopefully this is the right place for this. I am looking at getting a Hobie Outback within the next few weeks however I am not sure about transporting it. I have a 2012 Mazda 3 with no rack on top. I have been looking at the "soft racks" (basically just pads on straps that strap through the windows) and I was curious if anyone had any experience with these and Hobies since they are a bit heavier.

The rails for my car are running about 400 - 500 and I would really like to not have to fork out that money considering how much money I am spending on the yak. It seems like they would work, however I just worry about the weight. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

-G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Soft racks are not the way to go. If you tension enough to hold a kayak in place you can damage the roof. I think the Outback is to large for this type of rack.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hope you are one strong guy. Lifting one of those alone onto a car top is not easy.
I have a Revo13 and struggle to get it ontop of my SUV with the help of a roll bar.
But then again, at 66 my strength is not what it used to be.

Also, just an fyi, since purchasing my yak, I've spent a TON on extra's, like most of use end up doing, I'm sure.

Good lusk and I hope you find a solution that works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input guys. This is what I thought might be the case. Any ideas for cheaper than one of the Thule racks?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakima might be a bit cheaper, but not cheap. Check their stuff out, it's very good quality.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gonna weigh in. I tried the foam gunwale blocks years ago with my canoe. A harrowing experience and never again. I would try to find the money somewhere (maybe pick it from the proverbial money tree) and invest in a Yakima rack with canoe stops and a Yakima boat loader. You'll love the Outback. I wish you the best. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used the soft racks on my 09 scion to get my outback home from my dealer was not a problem with 2 people lifting and setting the yak on top of the car....... now here is the bummer. On my first solo trip with the outback, car topping is not easy at all. Your lifting 80lbs onto a car roof balancing a kayak by yourself.. In my case I lost my grip and as much as I controlled the fall, my driver side mirror was sheared off and my new kayak now has scuff marks... grrr. I have since, purchased a small trailer and hitch.... I know its more money. The first time I loaded and unloaded the yak made world of difference. As far as roof racks for your car. I have seen racks that extend I think its made by Thule or Yakima. With the rack I am talking about you can lean the yak on the extension and then lift the yak up and onto the rack. If memory serves me its like 300-400 for the kit...

I feel you when it comes to this sport......

Good Luck,

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just bought last week the lightest of the Hobie's.... the new Compass.
Being still in fit high 40s I figured I should be able to lift the kayak on top of my small Mercedes SUV which has racks and typical Kayak carriers.

Well, having the Compass sitting next to my car at the Dealer it became pretty clear there wasnt even a way for me to grip and lift this kayak.
80 pounds sounds light when pushing weights, but is really tough to handle on 12 foot long bulky kayak without any real handles.
Especially at end of tiring day with slippery wet kayak.

So, they helped me getting the Kayak on top and mentioned a Rhino Rack T-Loader....

Next day I placed orders for just this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006V ... UTF8&psc=1
and also
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196 ... UTF8&psc=1

Yes, its 370$ I dont want to talk about with my wife as I finally convinced her to sell my 400$ kayak and spend another 1500$....
But in long run this should help not to damage my car and the kayak. And keep my back healthy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P ... UTF8&psc=1

Will also install some of these grips at side of Compass to allow carrying in combination with the minimalistic inside grip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love my truck, I know it's not an option for everyone but worth considering.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpinfisherBob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Spinfisherbob wrote:
I love my truck, I know it's not an option for everyone but worth considering.

I have a truck and I put the kayaks either on the roof rack using a Hullivator or I have them on a trailer. With a kayak in the bed of the truck the area is not safe for storing anything else I want to also take, like the two Mirage drives, sails, fishing gear, etc. and there is both the replacement cost if items get stolen and having a trip cut short. I went into a local supermarket to get a couple items and when I returned to my truck someone had stolen the anchor and spare tire from the boat trailer. Ended my diving for the week and I had to buy a new wheel and tire and anchor and anchor line.

Where I have to launch is at boat ramps for the most part and so even with a Yakima trailer I need to offload the kayaks and rig them and then take each one down to the dock and put it into the water and tie it off and repeat the process and take the cart back to the truck and lock the truck. Meanwhile there are power boaters who want access to the ramp and the dock and the cleats on the dock.

I have decided to buy a PWC trailer so I can rig both kayaks in the parking lot and back the trailer into the water and float off the kayaks and then park the truck. Total time will be a fraction of what it now takes. Coming back to the dock and having my wife hold onto the painter for each kayak while I get the trailer. Back the trailer into the water and in a few minutes I can haul them both out of the water and back to the parking area where we can take our time dealing with them. Having spend $8,000 on the two kayaks, another $2,000 for the PWC trailer is not a big deal in the overall scheme of things. Of course I have room to store the trailer with the two kayaks beside my house which also adds to the appeal of this approach for us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You live in a tougher neighborhood than I . https://photos.app.goo.gl/sdoUE1yYVBnoDYX32

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpinfisherBob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I, like others tried lifting my Outback up onto a rack on my Scion the first few times and have all the battle scars on my nice car to show the efforts. Just throw some wind into the deal and it's a whole different ballgame on top of the balancing act. I bought the Thule aero rack because of the streamlined look. Poor choice, because the square Thule rack has an available slide out bar that allows you to load one end of the Yak at a time from the side of the car. I created my own for the rack i had bought. This helped but the car still paid the toll. I now have a trailer from Harbor Freight. It was cheaper than the rack (but about the same after the hitch and wiring harness)the car hasn't suffered since. I now have a 14' pro angler that i tow about and can stack the outback on a rack i made for the trailer so it rides above the PA. ,way easier to launch and load with no damage to the car. Either way-don't cheap out, you didn't by buying the Hobie, save yourself from agony and still enjoy the sport by making it easy on yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I first got my Outback, I bought something like the Thule Roll Model. The idea being, you only have to lift about half the kayak's weight up to the roller, which then keeps it somewhat stable enough even in windy conditions, for you to go to the back end of the kayak and push it onto the front pads. Also bought a mat that I would place on the back of the roof to help out the car roof when loading. You could use an old towel.

I eventually upgraded to the Hullivator, but I still think it still think it was easier using the Roll Model ... the Outback's weight still makes using the Hullivator difficult for me. The only downside of the Roll Model was the extra strap maneuvering when loading two kayaks on.

I can't stress enough, how much it is worth in finding a method to make it as easy as possible on yourself to load and unload your yak(s). When I bought an AI, I found it way too much work to load and unload it and found I just wasn't going out as much. Sold that and went back to the Outback, and have spent much more time on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am happy that I spent the cash to get the Rhino Rack T Loader and the pads with solid straps for my new Compass.
And wife is much less worried that I damage the nice car we got.... she just shakes her head every time I get another Amazon delivery after I convinced her 1900$ is great investment into a kayak.

Will be a bit more tricky to load when I take my sons kayak out at same time, but at least I got my Hobie up and down the vehicle strapped tight within 10 mins now. I run two extra straps through scupper holed to make sure it doesnt shift forwards/backwards.

https://flic.kr/p/EXDzaX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im researching what to buy for loading 2 yaks , an outback and a rev11 on a pickup cap with a thule rack. All I have is the rack itself at the moment. The cap roof is pretty high off the ground compared to a car. Its even high for a pickup as its a 4x4. With the 2 yaks on top Im guessing Im going to need the cradle that holds the boat sideways not flat to fit both at the same time? The bars on the rack are the square tubes so I can use the extension pole gizmo. Any thoughts on how effective that might be?
Another question. How important is it to tie down the nose of the boat to the front of the vehicle? The hood is pretty far up there so the tiedown strap will be rubbing on the front of the hood. Im not to excited about damaging te paint . Tightly strapping the yak to the cradle is not enough?
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks!