Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Keep boat in water?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Version 2.0 :) My son and I worked on it for about 4 hours, spent another $160, so my dock has now cost me $280. I didn't have to waste anything from V1 except the foam noodles. I dropped the L shaped re-barb down to the lowest point, hammered the base down a few more inches so it is now about 3-4 inches above the water level. Maybe could have gone down another 2 inches.

Made a frame out of 4x4 eight feet by 6 feet. Since the bottom of the pontoons are not flat, I put five 8'6" 5/8 pipes across the frame, using 2x4 blocks on the outside sets, then 1x4 on the first set inside and nothing in the middle. Came close, but the curve is so severe, the first set of rollers could be 2 inches higher :(

I think it is closer, I put PVC over the ends of the steel rods hoping they would roll, but that didn't work out. Almost seem like I need bearing to get them to spin when the boat is being put on.

Sliding the boat on was much easier than lifting.

I do plan to add a wentch to allow me to get it on the platform by myself.

Things I learned:

1. Due to the curve in the bottom of the pontoons, I need to add another block under the first set of rollers.
2. May need to see if I can get some bearings to make the pvc roll.
3. Might want to remove the block on the rear set of rollers to make getting the boat out of the water easier, just use it for loading and not support once it is in place.
4. Need better fasteners to hold on PVC, what I got just isn't staying on well.
5. Because I am on a calm lake that doesn't get much wave action, I might want to go lower or add an additional roller that sticks out behind the platform at water level.

Pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153666404053474&set=pcb.10153666404418474&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153666404098474&set=pcb.10153666404418474&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153666404353474&set=pcb.10153666404418474&type=1&theater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice boat lift made of wood.

Looking to do something like this myself to keep my Hobie 16 out of the water and not have to drag it back on shore after each use.

What are the dimensions? Are those 10 ft 2x8? 2x6? Pressured treated? Marine grade?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a solid start -- I wish the lakes out here would allow something like that!

nb_mitch wrote:
I do plan to add a wentch to allow me to get it on the platform by myself.

Your mainsheet system has a lot of mechanical advantage... attached to a bridle on the boat and the lift, you could nose the boat in, use your shoulders/back under the tramp to lift/tilt and sheet in to pull the boat up.

Randii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This stand I built from 5/4 porch boards is inexpensive and I can load and unload easily alone with just a push.

I would like to add rollers that would be nice, but far from necessary. I can also carry it the 50 yards to the lake by myself.
If you zoom in you can see rope on the center of the front and rear cross boards, I screw a 2' earth anchor in then tie to it and add a few more twists, gently ratchet strap the hulls to the side boards and I'm never concerned, I've seen pontoons come off lifts and my Cat stayed right there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just for giggles, here's what a Hobie looks like when left in calm, brackish water for a while. Image

And how it could look, on a simple docking platform.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice ideas when it comes to platforms for storage out of the water. Our place at the lake has very deep water which presents a huge problem. I have had my boat there for a weekend in which I just moored the boat only overnight. I've got to come up with some way to get it out of the water. With seawalls and a steep boat ramp from our boathouse, our place isn't very beachcat friendly. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These are some great setups, but I am curious, do you raise the sails while still on the stand, or do you do it when it's bobbing around? I was doing it for a while with the boat bobbing around, and I lost a ton of hardware (ring dings and pins, mostly for the mainsheet blocks) in the lake.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the wind is right I'll rig on the stand every time, sometimes I'll even leave the sails up when it's on the stand when I come in for lunch, but only if I can be right there with it. Had a wind shift once when I put one strap on it and went to the house to eat, that sail will pull the earth anchor out and tip the entire stand over. The best part was my girl jumping on the boat thinking her little 140lbs would help lol. No harm done so I was lucky. Now I never strap it with the sails up, or leave it more than a couple steps away. Lunch is served at the dock :)