Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:29 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:08 am
Posts: 10
I'm looking at buying a new Hobie for the 2016 sailing season but still haven't decided between the T2 and the Getaway.
The stats of the two boats confuse me. For instance, what makes the T2 only a couple of pounds lighter than the Getaway if it's half-a-foot shorter, with thinner hulls, smaller trampoline, no front trampoline, no wings? Yeah the mast is a wee bit taller but...? Where is that weight coming from.

Also, I'd love to see Portsmouth Handicap numbers for the two boats. There are numbers for the Getaway but I can't find any for the T2 or the Tattoo. In terms of performance I'd love to know how they REALLY compare.

Aaaaand, for those of you that have a T2, is it pretty comfortable to sail solo even on a heavy air day? I have some friends who look pretty relaxed in big winds sailing the Getaway solo.

Thanks all. :-)

_________________
Sharkdog99 - (Hobie 14T/J)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:21 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Clinton Lake, Kansas
Using the TEXEL calculator, I ran the Getaway numbers and came up with TR of 127
This is the same TR number as Tattoo (ref. Hobie 16=119, Hobie 17=120, Hobie 14=136)

When I run it with single trapeze it goes down to 125
Guessing the Tattoo is calculated as single trap boat as well

Easy calculator TR open cats 2010 9/mrt/10
GETAWAY
INPUT Testboat
date input 25-08-2015
crew number 2
weight boat (excluding spi) WS (kg) 177
weight boat (including spi) WS (kg)
correction boards. If no dagger- or centreboards 4, else 0) % 4
overall Length (Length bow to stern) LOA (m) 5.04
rated length (Length on waterline ; at 2/3 hull height) RL (m) 5.04
area main sail (including mast) MSAM (m²) 11.33
luff main sail VLM (m) 6.86
footlength main E 2.29
area jib MSAG (m²) 5.67
luff jib gS1 (m) 15.94
lpg jib lpg 1.33

area spinnaker MSAS (m²)
total width WIDTH (m) 2.34
trapeze number 0

OUTPUT
TR without spi 127

_________________
1984 H16 "Mister Rogers"
1984 H14 "Sundays"
2000 H20 "Jet"
Sheet In, Max Out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:33 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Clinton Lake, Kansas
"Somebody" (mmiller) may want to double check my input numbers

We have a very good local H18 sailor who bought a Getaway as well.
IIRC, he's told me his best is 18+ knots, single trapping, solo, no wings

I wonder whether the T2 is termed "performance" based on the fact you can get a spinnaker?

I sure would like to try one with the roller furling gennaker

_________________
1984 H16 "Mister Rogers"
1984 H14 "Sundays"
2000 H20 "Jet"
Sheet In, Max Out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:43 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:08 am
Posts: 10
Interesting. Thanks for doing that. Much appreciated. Just in reading as much as I can find online...I come away "feeling" they are very similar performance-wise and your calculations bear that out. The weight thing is still weird to me...and the addition of that third sail upfront should give the T2 an advantage on a broad reach or run.

_________________
Sharkdog99 - (Hobie 14T/J)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:46 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:27 pm
Posts: 97
Location: Annapolis MD
What does TR mean?

_________________
2011 Hobie Mirage Adventure
Caribbean Blue
ST Turbo Fins, Sail Kit (w/home-made furler), Sailing Rudder, SideKick Ama Kit, Daggerboard, iComfort Seat Pad, GoPro Hero3+, RTIC SoftPak 30, Seattle Sports Scupper Swift Cart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:06 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Clinton Lake, Kansas
sharkdog99 wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for doing that. Much appreciated. Just in reading as much as I can find online...I come away "feeling" they are very similar performance-wise and your calculations bear that out. The weight thing is still weird to me...and the addition of that third sail upfront should give the T2 an advantage on a broad reach or run.
Oh Yeah, bet it would be a hoot with the third sail, especially on a deep reach. :)
It's about the only romo Hobie I think I could warm up to...wish they had a smoke colored sail available.
The "beach resort" sail colors certainly don't speak performance to me.

Diver_fcd wrote:
What does TR mean?
Texel Rating

FYI, crew weight (for TR calculation) is 75x2=150kg (331 lbs)

_________________
1984 H16 "Mister Rogers"
1984 H14 "Sundays"
2000 H20 "Jet"
Sheet In, Max Out


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:54 am
Posts: 67
Location: Pinellas county Florida
sharkdog99 wrote:
I'm looking at buying a new Hobie for the 2016 sailing season but still haven't decided between the T2 and the Getaway.

Aaaaand, for those of you that have a T2, is it pretty comfortable to sail solo even on a heavy air day? I have some friends who look pretty relaxed in big winds sailing the Getaway solo.

Thanks all. :-)


My sense, owning a T2 and having sailed a Getaway, is that the T2 is much more likely to fly a hull in moderate to heavy wind. I've flown a hull in as little as 10kts. wind by not hiking out. I would recommend the Getaway if you sail with non-sailors or want to mount a motor on the aft crossbeam, and the T2 in every other case.

_________________
1985 Hobie 14T
2014 Hobie T2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:37 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:30 pm
Posts: 810
Location: Benicia, CA
John from Tampa wrote:
sharkdog99 wrote:
I'm looking at buying a new Hobie for the 2016 sailing season but still haven't decided between the T2 and the Getaway.

Aaaaand, for those of you that have a T2, is it pretty comfortable to sail solo even on a heavy air day? I have some friends who look pretty relaxed in big winds sailing the Getaway solo.

Thanks all. :-)


My sense, owning a T2 and having sailed a Getaway, is that the T2 is much more likely to fly a hull in moderate to heavy wind. I've flown a hull in as little as 10kts. wind by not hiking out. I would recommend the Getaway if you sail with non-sailors or want to mount a motor on the aft crossbeam, and the T2 in every other case.


Agreed...Getaway is a family friendly boat, meant to be sailed flat and carry lots of folks--think of it as the sailboat equivalent of a party barge like the Suntracker pontoon boat. Sure, it 'can' go fast in capable hands but if you are thrill seeking, get something else. One of the nice things I like about my Getaway is that there is some "meat" to the amas, so a gust hits and you slowly heel; friend of mine who used to sail a 17 said that it is a much more "mannerly" boat in gusty conditions. It is easy to move to the wings from the deck to keep it on its feet.

_________________
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Triak
BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:53 am
Posts: 70
Ok, I currently own a hobie 17 but today I had family visiting so I took a couple out in a hobie Getaway, and was impressed. Down the road I am thinking of either a t2 or a getaway. 90% of the time I would probably sail alone or with my wife, but it would be nice to have the capability to be able to carry a total of four people. Looking at the stats it shows the getaway can carry 1000 lbs and the T2 only half of that. Is that real? since the two are so close in weight and size why would the t2 not be able to carry four people?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:48 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:30 pm
Posts: 810
Location: Benicia, CA
flatlander wrote:
Using the TEXEL calculator, I ran the Getaway numbers and came up with TR of 127
This is the same TR number as Tattoo (ref. Hobie 16=119, Hobie 17=120, Hobie 14=136)

When I run it with single trapeze it goes down to 125
Guessing the Tattoo is calculated as single trap boat as well

Easy calculator TR open cats 2010 9/mrt/10
GETAWAY
INPUT Testboat
date input 25-08-2015
crew number 2
weight boat (excluding spi) WS (kg) 177
weight boat (including spi) WS (kg)
correction boards. If no dagger- or centreboards 4, else 0) % 4
overall Length (Length bow to stern) LOA (m) 5.04
rated length (Length on waterline ; at 2/3 hull height) RL (m) 5.04
area main sail (including mast) MSAM (m²) 11.33
luff main sail VLM (m) 6.86
footlength main E 2.29
area jib MSAG (m²) 5.67
luff jib gS1 (m) 15.94
lpg jib lpg 1.33

area spinnaker MSAS (m²)
total width WIDTH (m) 2.34
trapeze number

OUTPUT
TR without spi 127


Add a 13 square m spin...which is what I did...tr gets much nicer.

_________________
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Triak
BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:53 am
Posts: 70
sorry to sound ignorant, but I do not know what texel rating? what is good and what is bad?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:30 pm
Posts: 810
Location: Benicia, CA
TR is a rating rule that works "OK" unless you lose all the races because of what's been assigned to your boat. Unlike one design, rating rules allow different boats to participate in races amongst one another but in reality it is only a guess as to the performance potential of any design. Stripped of all the "tweaks" it boils down to taking the hull length in meters and raising to the 0.3 power; then taking the boat sail area (all of it in sq m, main, jib, spinnaker) and raising it to the 0.4 power. Take the product of those two results and divide by the boat weight plus crew weight in kg the sum raised to the 0.325 power. The actual texel inverts that result and multiplies by 100. I prefer the Aussie version that leaves it as is (Time correction factor) Numbers above 1 are fast boats, numbers below 0.8 are slow boats. It's just an empirically derived nonsense number...similar to counting sunspots and predicting rain the next season in CA. It works sometimes.

_________________
R/Thom
SeaRail 19
Triak
BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:04 pm
Posts: 78
cavi wrote:
Ok, I currently own a hobie 17 but today I had family visiting so I took a couple out in a hobie Getaway, and was impressed. Down the road I am thinking of either a t2 or a getaway. 90% of the time I would probably sail alone or with my wife, but it would be nice to have the capability to be able to carry a total of four people. Looking at the stats it shows the getaway can carry 1000 lbs and the T2 only half of that. Is that real? since the two are so close in weight and size why would the t2 not be able to carry four people?


I was concerned about this before I bought my T2 also, but did some research. The T2 can certainly carry 4 people. Somewhere there's a thread where one of the Hobie guys mentions that the T2 weight capacity spec is based on France's safety standard. Getaway's is based on USA's. I found a few different models of boats USA and France weight capacity, (which was way different for the same model!) and did some math at one point to figure out and convert the T2s capacity to the US standard. I can't remember the exact number, but it wasn't much lower than the getaway (less than 100lbs lower capacity). I've had 3 people on my T2 a few times and it handled very well and could definitely carry 4 with no issue.

_________________
2014 T2
past: 1974 H14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:20 am
Posts: 272
Location: New Brighton, PA
I've got them both, Getaway and T2 and they are very close to the same boat, but one is for luxury and the other is a sport cruiser. The gennaker makes a big difference but it get a little tough when solo holding both main sheet, gennaker sheet (No cleat) and steering, If you change out the factory blocks that come with it to say the 18 jib blocks you don't have to hold it all the time and you can use it as a second jib up wind.
The weight capacity is just numbers and I wish Hobie NA could get them changed. As you can put 4 people on each side of either boat and feel or see no difference.

_________________
Buxton
18' T16 Silent Lightning (16' T2 Hybrid)
11' H16 White Lightning
79' H16 Green Lightning


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group