Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E-Z Load Question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an E-Z load trailer for my TI which makes it very user friendly to launch/recover. It has 8" tires on it currently and was thinking of putting larger ones on to take long distance. Does anyone know if it can be done? I'd like to keep using the 8's for local boat ramp visits but don't know if they'd hold up on long distance trips. Also, it has oil packed wheel bearings, how often do I need to change the oil in there and what do I replace it with?? Thanks for all your help.

Post subject: Re: E-Z Load Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've towed Hobie 14, 16, and Wave on 8" tires for hundreds of interstate miles without problems or troubles. I did increase the 8" tires for my TI from 480 x 8 to 570 x 8 to increase their footprint on sand. As a side benefit, the 570's seems to ride a little better at interstate speeds also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trailer wheels do not use oil. The wheel bearings are packed with wheel bearing grease which you can purchase at big box stores, auto parts stores, etc. Some wheel bearing grease is designated for marine use, i.e., submersing wheels in water. Removing a trailer wheel bearing, cleaning and re-packing with fresh grease is relatively easy if you have minimal mechanical ability. You Tube is your friend to get some insight.

Some prefer installing a Bearing Buddy which has a Zirk grease fitting with a spring loaded piston design that keeps pressure on the wheel bearing to prevent water entry and grease on both inboard and outboard bearing sets. Avoid excessive pressure when adding grease, you can blow the wheel bearing seal which in turn will throw grease on the inside of the trailer wheel........and beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cooldudecaptain wrote:
Trailer wheels do not use oil.

...unless it's an oil bath hub which is an option for boat trailers.
I had 8" wheels on my first trailer which did a lot of highway driving at 110 km/h and the 8" wheels were fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I assume they are "oil bath" bearing since the oil liquid is visible through the viewing window. It is not frothy and when it stands there is no oil floating on water like I would expect so I think all is okay for now. I asked the dealer about putting bearing buddies on the trailer and he said not to touch as they are oil filled?? Not sure what that means, but so far so good. If they are oil bath how often does the oil need to be changed??