Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

figured out when I got home and looked at it that its a comptip. it is pretty, rigging is real nice too, can't really find a scratch on it anywhere. was told it was purchased just a couple years ago and hardly used. getting lucky with some of these parts from the magnum salvage recently.
do these things have any good resale value?
not sure I want to use it or not. do I want to keep it? it is nice. my mast is standard.
guessing the pinch marks are because the sail was popping out?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Later comptips had a 1 foot long aluminum mast track section at the top (above the plastic track). This was done because the plastic track is too flexible and may spread open allowing the bolt rope to pop out under load. The flares on the ends of the track are simply there to prevent the sail material from hanging up on the ends of the track.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you find someone local with a damaged mast looking for a replacement, then yes, it has resale value. Otherwise, it'll be tough to sell, as anyone that isn't within driving distance would have to pay out the nose to ship it anywhere.

Aside from srm's point about the plastic track, a common complaint is that the comptip causes the top of the mast to bend more easily, resulting in less control of the sail shape at the top, and often a flatter sail with more spilled air from the top. Another is that they are a possible leak point for the mast to take on water when capsized. Hobie, and the staunch supporters of the comptip argue that it is a vital safety feature to reduce the danger of electrocution or death from stepping the mast into a power line, and say that the lost performance is minimal. However, the "standard" masts were made illegal for the class, both because of the performance advantage, and to make adaption of the comptip widespread to boats built/sold before the change. As far as the electrocution issue is concerned, it has happened before, and Hobie was sued over it... hence why all of their boats produced in North America have the comptips, and none of their boats produced overseas do.

I sail with a standard mast because it's what I have. Unless something happens to my mast, I don't see much reason to change, and I'd rather put my money towards sails, harnesses, life jackets, or other safety & performance upgrades.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That lawsuit thing just baffles me, i consider it consumer neglect. Have a guy semi loca who needs mast, sails, rigging etc. and trying to decide which to keep and which to let go. I don't have a league near me and no interest in traveling far for one so that is no concern, power lines are not either. Both masts are straight, but the comp tip is nicer overall. It has new shrouds also, but those are easy to swap. Never sailed a comptip and honestly don't think I'd notice the difference. If the comptip will cause me to lose noticeable power then it's obvious to keep the solid mast. Maybe ask buyer what he wants but feel a new comptip mast is gonna drive my price up for everything.

With everything is good condition what could I reasonably expect for a package deal of
Main and jib no rips
Furler
Blocks and good nice main sheet
Dagger boards
New style rudder castings and gen 1 epo rudders
Hiking stick
Solid Mast and all standing rigging

What about same package with the newer comptip?

Thanks for help, I've been looking at used prices on eBay as that's the only used parts source I've seen lately, and taking 20-30% off those prices. Was thinking 1,000 for everything with solid mast. I sourced all parts last year and spent double that buying parts individually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think your pricing is very reasonable, a bargain even! I think value with or without the comptip is about the same, unless the guy really wants one over the other. I don't think it makes a huge difference (cost wise) beyond personal preference.

Main & Jib - $200 - $1,000 depending on condition
Furler - $50
Blocks & Main - $100 - $250
Daggers - $300 - $600 for the pair, depending on condition
New Style Rudder Castings ~$200-$300
EPO Rudders - $300 - $600 for the pair, depending on condition
Hiking Stick - $75 - $150
Mast - $250 - $750
(standing rigging isn't worth much used, unless it's like new I suppose)

That's roughly what I've seen those parts going for individually, or what I think most Hobie sailors would be willing to pay if they were in want/need of the parts. If he's interested/willing to take it all for between $1,000 and $1,500, that's probably not bad. Buying the parts separately, even used, would cost considerably more.

That said, if there are parts he's not interested in, I'm sure there are people on here that would be interested in some of them!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks