Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I know the topic of pa vs outback has been brought up before. so I apologize
I Just sold my native propel 13 and I'm itching to buy ... probably the pa 14.
I plan on using it in the central Fl intercostal water and eventually in the ocean. How does PA handle in the ocean? would the outback be better?
My ultimate goal is to go on the ocean with it.

I have used the outback and loved it .. hence, selling the native, but I think I like the features of the 14 better.

Only problem is that I'm car topping it onto a FJ cruiser (at least until I have time to install a hitch and buy a trailer).
I'm also doing it alone, at least until I meet some more people around here.

I had planned to buying a boat tomorrow, but will wait for iCast on monday to see if there are any new earth shattering reveals.

I'm also pretty new to fishing, btw.
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Outback paddles better than the PA, so might be a more ideal boat for flats fishing in the event you need to paddle. However, you can't beat the PA 14 for a personal fishing platform. The PA 14 is the kayak of choice for many of us here in Southern California, and we're primarily fishing coastal offshore....punching through surf and exposed to wind chop and swell. The drop down skeg on the PA works like a dream in those types of conditions, and has ample deck space and gear storage. I'd suggest coordinating a demo with a dealer near you so you can see what you like best before you buy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll be buying a pro angler soon.. we should go fishing together if you need some yak buddies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Finsfan,
Sounds like a plan.
Just moved to the Palm Coast area, so I'll definitely will be looking for yak bodies :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Currently have an Outback, considering a PA for the extra space. My neighbor has a PA14 I can use to compare, although it's almost too big for me-don't think I can access all the extra space at bow or stern simply because I can't reach it. But the added capacity & width sure is tempting...it sucks to have to leave the bite because you can't fit any other fish in the boat. If you ever come fish up here out of Cape Canaveral, drop me a pm if you want to join me some time, I typically fish within a couple of miles from shore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had two of my PA14s and my wife's Outback on the Pacific this past Friday. All are very capable offshore. Sure, the Outback is lighter and easier to maneuver on land but once in the water the Pro Anglers are fantastic fishing platforms!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King wrote:

I had two of my PA14s and my wife's Outback on the Pacific this past Friday. All are very capable offshore. Sure, the Outback is lighter and easier to maneuver on land but once in the water the Pro Anglers are fantastic fishing platforms!

Nice load!!
I'm not too concerned about maneuverability on land, I ended up buying a small trailer anyway. Don't really think speed is an issue either, I'm still on standard fins-if I get a PA with turbo fins, it should even out :D
And I sure would love to have the horizontal rod storage...
Gotta upload some fishie pics sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just an update.
Took both the outback and pa for an ride.
I felt the outback was really nice and felt as if it moved very efficiently even with the standard fins. the PA felt a little more sluggish despite the turbo fins. Did not have GPS on me to actually compare speeds, but it was simply my perception.
Ultimately, I still bought the pa 14. the extra space is great.
"My wife" may end up getting an outback for Xmas :)
My biggest concern was car topping the pa but the shop where I bought it had a very reasonable priced trailer and offered some money towards accessories which was used for the trailer. With the trailer the PA was a no brainer.
gone out 2x and loved it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have thoroughly enjoyed having my wife as my fishing and tournament partner. We spend almost every weekend on the water together which makes for a very satisfying marriage! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep in mind if you get too much wave over the bow of a PA, or roll it, it can take on water. There are things you can do to improve the seals on the front hatch if you are considering using offshore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

WAVERIDER wrote:
Keep in mind if you get too much wave over the bow of a PA, or roll it, it can take on water. There are things you can do to improve the seals on the front hatch if you are considering using offshore.

In my humble but most accurate opinion, Hobie needs to find a solution and fix that immediately. I've seen where guys have come up with some inexpensive solutions for a front hatch fix, but it makes you wonder why Hobie hasn't already addressed the problem before they leave Hobie-Land??? Sealing the rod tube ends to prevent water draining into the hatch while standing was an easy excellent start towards a dry hatch... now a factory hatch seal will "seal da deal"! Cable inserts from the FF and other electronics could be siliconed as needed and desired by each individual owner.

I love the air-tight, water-proof seal on my Ocean Kayak BG II... It's just too bad I can't switch it over to one of the PA. I still hope to get a Pro Angler soon, but you can bet that a fix for the front hatch will be the first thing I'll tackle!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wish is for splash deflector on bow . It only needs to be 2-2 1/2" high . Use the same double back tape used on GoPro Mounts that is very sticky adhesive bond .