Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the trigger on a new Suzuki. Lighter, cheaper, reliable... What's not to like about it? Hopefully I won't regret choosing it over the tried and true Yamaha. I guess we'll see.

Cheata mount is on the way. I'll admit, I'm a little worried about drilling holes in a crossbar to mount it with rivets. Any tips?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

too high and the cross bar hits the motor, too low and the motor is in the water.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update on Honda 2 hp fouling.

After a 150 dollar carb clean a the local marina and a "lesson" about the ills of ethanol in fuel for marine engines I think I found the answer. I'd been using fresh fuel from the gas station with added stabilizer, but the mechanic said these small higher performance engines won't tolerate any ethanol even if stabilized. He showed me all the plaque and caking that was inside the carbuerator.

Have been using high octane (91 or 92) non-ethanol fuel and has been running like a dream for the last three tanks. Even doused the motor multiple times in the strong winds/waves after Hurricane Andrew blew threw last weekend and no ill effects.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's great info, thanks. Were do you get non-ethanol gasoline?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

List of stations can be found at http://pure-gas.org

I've found it easiest to buy containers of TruFuel at Lowes or Home Depot. Is expensive (7 dollars a Liter) but comes in container that I can store in the hull coolers and I know it has stayed "fresh" longer. Same mechanic told me that if storing gas, you want as little air in the container (or full of fuel) as possible to prevent degradation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dorienc: Bob, I am thinking Torqeedo 503, what are your thoughts?
I am in a canal with a lift in Florida, so I only need a tenth of a mile exit and entrance to get to the bay and a draw bridge once in a while.

anyone else with experience using Torqeedo (especially 503)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jtmalone wrote:
dorienc: Bob, I am thinking Torqeedo 503, what are your thoughts?
I am in a canal with a lift in Florida, so I only need a tenth of a mile exit and entrance to get to the bay and a draw bridge once in a while.

anyone else with experience using Torqeedo (especially 503)?

I have the 1003. I think the 503 would be enough power for it, but since it weighs about the same (28.4 vs 29.5# because of the heavier battery in the 1003) and isn't much cheaper than the 1003, I got the 1003. The 1003 will easily exceed 6 knots, I'm pretty sure I've seen it register 10 knots at full throttle. And the 1003 has a lot longer range. Ordinarily I don't even come close to draining it, but you never know when you might be miles from home and have the wind die. Nice to have the legs then.

I like the instant on feature, as compared to tugging on a rope and hoping a gas engine starts. It doesn't tip up and stay level, I had to add a strap to hold it flat, because of the heavy battery. So when I tip it out of the water to sail, it does take a few seconds and some coordination to hold the tiller flat, grab the straps and fasten them around the tiller. But I imagine there would be a similar problem with a gas engine.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, thanks for your insight
Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is a cheeta mount? We are still trying to decide whether we should go with a long shaft or shaft when we buy our Suzuki 2.5 mpotor for our Hobie TI.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

with the TI you have peddles and should not need a motor.
The TI also has a sail, right?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We definatltly need a motor. We can’t pedal fast enough for any cooling effect. Even early in the morning it’s already hot on the lake with no breeze for the sails. It is miserable. Therefore our quest for a motor. We would like enough speed to at least keep from baking while we wait for cooler months.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Personally I would go with the electric. expense wise a trolling motor. power would be Torqueedo. short shaft should suffice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ok, I am buying a getaway in the next couple of weeks and I would like to put a small electric motor for those days where the wind just dies. Why does everyone use the torquedo, seems like the price is very high. Would a 55 lbs torque minn kota not do the job? Honestly I do not need 5mph, I need it just to get me back to the dock, less than half a mile.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The price is high but if you go with a trolling motor you must have some sort of battery compartment and connection. Also you are thinking about the time when there is no wind, but what about the time when the wind picks (storm) up and you must go directly into it. I also must deal with the draw bridges.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

battery goes in one of the storage boxes. As for storm, I sail on a lake that typically has low wind, and chances of me getting hit by overpowering wind are very low.