Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Defy's TI build
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie must have taken a backward step with their cradle manufacture?
I know there has been lots of criticism re their cradles but I've been using the carpeted version for around six years with zero problems. The TI slides easily on the carpet and these cradles have had none of the cracking problems reported by others. Adding a third cradle at the rear made loading much simpler and gives support for the stern.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey stringy, where you able to buy just one cradle? I have 3 cross bars and i am debating on what to do over the third one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Hobie must have taken a backward step with their cradle manufacture?
I know there has been lots of criticism re their cradles but I've been using the carpeted version for around six years with zero problems. The TI slides easily on the carpet and these cradles have had none of the cracking problems reported by others. Adding a third cradle at the rear made loading much simpler and gives support for the stern.
Yeah mine didn't have carpet. It had some ridiculous rubber mat. They were super brittle so they cracked easily. They also left huge dents in my hull.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
Hey stringy, where you able to buy just one cradle? I have 3 cross bars and i am debating on what to do over the third one.

No, I had to buy another set. Funny, but I was disappointed when they came in because they were the same carpeted version. I was hoping for the rubber version which looked like an upgrade. I'm glad now I got the carpeted cradles!

After trialling some different ideas I cut the AMA supports off the fourth cradle and made a dolly cart out of it. More info here: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 1496985986

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Unfortunately I belive denting of the hull is rather "normal" is you store a Hobie Island on the cradles.
Very anoying .... but easily fixed with some hot water! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And yet I've had no denting. My TI has been stored almost exclusively on the cradles for almost 7 years with no problems. It is supported bow and stern as well, so at four points which I think is the key. I never liked the look of the TI on just two cradles. Too much unsupported hull for my liking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
And yet I've had no denting. My TI has been stored almost exclusively on the cradles for almost 7 years with no problems. It is supported bow and stern as well, so at four points which I think is the key. I never liked the look of the TI on just two cradles. Too much unsupported hull for my liking.

Yup I think you are absolutely right, Stringy! :)
I am planning to add 2 long pvc pipes on the trailer running along under the grooves of the hull inbetween the cradles. I hope that might help a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my PA 17 on cradles in the garage for 2 years with no problems. Yes i agree i dont like only 2 points of support. Plan to make a bow support with one of those rubber v blocks and i am trying to get another cradle for my third brace or i am thinking of putting PVC in between the cradles.

Looks like my trailex extended tongue should be here next week. Then i will tear down the trailer and start my build.

I plan to move the PA over to the new trailer as well so i can sell my other one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

re: cradle carpet.......outdoor carpet (big box stores) with smoothest texture - cement in place with gorilla glue. Tried contact cement but it didn't last. Caution: carpet makes sliding off and on the trailer a breeze, just make sure your TI's secure when trailering.

re: cradle support .....support my '14 in garage w/trailer. I have three cradles spaced out plus a bow roller. Works great, no dents.

bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Question: anyone try using the cart adapter as a third cradle?

I have one for the hd cart and it looks pretty sturdy. Screw it to a wood brace and carpet it. I would put it under the stern about 2-3 foot forward.

So 3-7-13 and bow support at 17 ish? Sound about right? Need to play with it and see where they make the best contact.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That would certainly be a cheaper option, Defy. You might even consider adding PVC tubes in place of the aluminium tubes, like I use on my C-Tug:

I went with the full rear cradle on my trailer as it solved the loading alignment issues I had with the ama hitting the trailer uprights at the second cradle. It also allowed me to fit the cart easily when unloading. I just drag the TI back till the rear footwell just clears the rear cradle and fit the cart. At this point most of the cantilevered TI's weight is on the rear cradle so it needs to strong and fully supportive. I originally had a Teflon trailer strip at the rear position but it caused deformation.
Adding that third cradle was the key to easy one person loading/unloading.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy wrote:
Question: anyone try using the cart adapter as a third cradle?

I have one for the hd cart and it looks pretty sturdy. Screw it to a wood brace and carpet it. I would put it under the stern about 2-3 foot forward.

So 3-7-13 and bow support at 17 ish? Sound about right? Need to play with it and see where they make the best contact.

Yes, I did. It was very difficult to align the height of the cart adapter to the cradles on the trailer, although I managed to do it. I eventually gave up on the cradles because they both cracked and also left dents in my hull. I went with PVC racks which is far superior with both hull support and loading.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Out for a sunset cruise

Super fun even with no wind. Definitely getting the electric motor... the misses decided about 2 miles from home that she wanted to relax while i peddled back while kids put feet, paddles and coolers in the water trying to slow me down. The joke was on them though by the time we got back the sun had set and the mosquitoes were out in force. The ran home while i loaded the yak. Mosquitoes don't like me for some reason so i was all good.

Leads me to a question how often do you wash your sail? Do i need to rinse it after ever sail? Tonight cause it was late i just hosed down the drives but tomorrow after work should i open the sail/tramps and rinse them off?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive been out at least 10 times sailing on the average 3-4 hours and i have yet to clean my sail. It still looks like new.

Post subject: Defy's TI build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look what UPS man brought

Some nice pretty alu extrusion from trailex!

Getting ready to build the trailer. Going for something like this but with the TI and PA.

Anyone have a TI and a PA 17T trailered side by side? I am wondering if there will be balance issues.
Fully rigged they are both in the 240s so i don't think there will be an issue.

Next question is where to place the axel/torsion box. Once i add the extension i will have an 17.6 tongue so about 2-3 foot of the TI will hang off the rear. I have 3 cross members right now 2 make up the axle frame and one i can put in front of or behind. If i put it in front the axle will be about 5-6 foot from the stern and more tongue weight. Behind and i can move that axle to the middle and less axle in the water when launching.

I am thinking axle at the middle as the trailer will be mostly for local (less than 10 mile) runs so i don't care about tongue weight as much. For longer x-country trips its about 12 bolts to slide the tongue forward and then re adjust bunks.

Thoughts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next