Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The front is perfect for a small soft sided cooler or a dry bag. I have a lot of money invested in my Outback, but if I had to buy new I would seriously consider the compass on hull alone and add the 180, square hatch, and fittings for graph. I also like that green color. I'm not into bright colors but that thing looks good imho. Secretly hoping my buddy doesn't get it but a PA or Outback. Looking at his compass would be like starring at my buddies' wife.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ring King wrote:
I'm going to take a wild guess that the rectangular hatch wont fit in the bow area. There appears to be a molded in ring under the mesh panel that was probably made to accept another 8" round hatch if you chose to install one. With that molded in ring there it would be tough to get a rectangular hatch to seal in that area even if it were to fit.

That's what I think too.

A round hatch would be a good point, as we can put the sounder battery, some clothes and picnic... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the market of adding something lighter for shorter trips. Was dead set on the outback UNTIL the compass came to light.

My concern with the compass is the lack of scuppers. From the pictures that I've seen, there are only 2. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

awdieee wrote:
My concern with the compass is the lack of scuppers. From the pictures that I've seen, there are only 2. Or am I missing something?

You don't need much as the whole front water comes to the miragedrive hole...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Scuppers are overrated. LoL I think as stated before the drive area is plenty. If the back gets swamped it should run off before it gets to be a problem. No scuppers or less should mean less chance of them leaking. Hobie spill the beans on the rest of the stuff- this can't be it for 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just emailed my dealer inquiring about a pre-order. :D

Matt, when are the Compass expected to hit dealers?

This boat is pretty close to what I've been wanting in a new Hobie. Got my wife a very nice used '13 Outback but wanted a raised style seat and the non-180 drive along with a few options; like the rectangular hatch, and track on the gunnels for mounting FF. For the past several months, I've been looking for a good used 2015 or 2016 OB or 2016 OB Limited Edition but no luck except for folks selling used boats at near new MSRP. Glad I waited!

Things I like about the Compass; the elimination of the forward compartment in lieu of the open space, I also like the fact that the round hatch can be relocated forward in it for the battery kit once the rectangular hatch is put in its place in front of the seat. I like the widening and sponsons in the aft section of the boat and the PA style rudder, and while superficial, I like the Seagrass color.

Hummm . . . . Wonder when SeaDek or MarineMat will release products to fit :wink:

'18 Compass (mine)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A custom shaped cooler/storage pod to fit in the front recess would be a perfect accessory.

I am sure hobie will dream up some accessories and refinements for it. It will also be interesting to see how owners start to fit them out..

Will this make PA12s redundant?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The PA 14 makes the PA 12 redundant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I watched the video for like the 10th time, and I definitely think it needs rigid carrying handles on the sides. At that weight, it would be possible to load it on a roof rack, by lifting it overhead like a Revo, but only if you can get a good hold on it. I also think if you capsize the Compass, it might be difficult to flip over without using a side handle. Another good idea is maybe using the shorter H-rail model on either side of the seat instead of carrying handles. Would it be safe to lift/carry the Compass by this method?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've watched a couple of different videos and stills but I would like to know if the Compass can be dragged without damaging the rudder?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Duncan49 wrote:
I've watched a couple of different videos and stills but I would like to know if the Compass can be dragged without damaging the rudder?

Looks like there is a chord on the starboard side of the cockpit to deploy the rudder, so I assume it twists and stows so as not to drag on the ground when not in use.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Placed down my deposit on a pre-order today. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my seagrass Compass! :D

'18 Compass (mine)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

WAVERIDER wrote:
A custom shaped cooler/storage pod to fit in the front recess would be a perfect accessory.

I am sure hobie will dream up some accessories and refinements for it. It will also be interesting to see how owners start to fit them out..

Will this make PA12s redundant?

Front hatch Fish Bag/Cooler:
Grabbed this image from one of the many Compass videos out there. Seems there is a Compass ready fish bag/cooler somewhere in the future. I wonder what other accessories they have yet to release.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw the compass at a demo day 2 weeks ago. It looks nice, but I like the Outback more. The compass would be great for medium to small size people. I'm not big only 5'10 but felt like the Outback had more room and I like the rudder control and front hatch more. Seems like it will handle rough water better as well. Still a nice kayak though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Received mine and try it on water saturday.

Good points:

- hull shape is precise and silencious
- 6 Kgs less
- rudder under the hull like PA

Bad points:

- The place we have the ass on the seat is not long enough, back of the ass is hurting back bar. We need a cushion.
- Stable like an Outback but slightly rolling, like PA12
- impossible to fit a round hatch on back
- Back of the hull is not square, there is a point. Very difficult to put the kayak on top of car, it's sliding on ground all the time
- Color is dirtying, the kayak will finish like a camo :)

Next step is trying on sea...