Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi my friends! One question, I find very difficult in strong winds to use the stopper of the main sheet . The stopper is facing upwards and as in heavy winds you are bent backwards is almost impossible to put the rope in the stopper. You should bent forward risking to fall or capsize. Its unbearable to be holding the main so tight for a long time. I enclose a picture so you can see if it is well mounted.

Another question is: what is a little swich located on one side of the down pulleys. When you move it the pulley starts to do a click click click noise when you pull the sheet.

Thank you very much and best wishes from Spain.

https://ibb.co/g6sZZ5

https://ibb.co/jtAcnQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think people suggest to try and sail in heavy winds without cleating the mainsheet (using the stopper). You may need to let the sail out very quickly and not have time to uncleat (take it out of the stopper). The clicking noise on the pulley means that a one-way ratchet has been engaged and that will help you hold the sheet. The pulley will only turn one way - it will rotate when you pull the sheet in and will not rotate when you let it out. That means it holds some of the sheet tension but you can still ease the sheet. Try with the clicking on and see if it helps you hands hold the sheet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

leecea wrote:
I think people suggest to try and sail in heavy winds without cleating the mainsheet (using the stopper). You may need to let the sail out very quickly and not have time to uncleat (take it out of the stopper). The clicking noise on the pulley means that a one-way ratchet has been engaged and that will help you hold the sheet. The pulley will only turn one way - it will rotate when you pull the sheet in and will not rotate when you let it out. That means it holds some of the sheet tension but you can still ease the sheet. Try with the clicking on and see if it helps you hands hold the sheet.

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The angle of the cam cleat is adjustable. Try to adjust it so it works better for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

on my Getaway I do not use a snap hook and ring to attach main
sheet block to the traveller car. Small pin on bottom of block to
pin on car. then adjust cam cleat angle. mine cleats very easily,
but have to snap the sheet downward to get it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hobie17li wrote:
on my Getaway I do not use a snap hook and ring to attach main
sheet block to the traveller car. Small pin on bottom of block to
pin on car. then adjust cam cleat angle. mine cleats very easily,
but have to snap the sheet downward to get it out.

Thanks, I have already done it. I didnt know the angle of the cleat was adjustable. I have followed Matt advise adjusting it to cleat the sheet pulling upwards slightly and to uncleat easily just pulling the shhet. Some times thogh I have put the sheet into the stopper unintentionally after a tack. You must pay a lot of attention to that not to finish in the water. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also recommend NOT to cleat the main in heavy winds. It is better to hold the mainsheet with the ratchet enganged (clicking noise on).
Still the angle should be set ot something comfortable for you.