Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When folding Ama's in, with Hobie Tramps rolled up, are you supposed to slide the tramp outward off the Aka knuckle?

While not in use, Ama's folded in for storage (between weekends), do you release bungees on the Aka/Ama's or the Bungees that hold Aka in to increase life time on elasticity?
I would definitely release them over winter.

On rudder do you keep the down chord pulled and cleated when under way? Won't that prevent it from kicking up?

If running with Hobie Tramps, can you skip an Ama safety line?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1-I never have. The tramps stretch enough to be able to fold the aka back with rolled tramps in place.
2-Bungees are generally undone after each trip. We have done 12 day trips though where I keep them done up and have had no issues. My '10 TI is still on it's original bungees, though I did add the second bungee upgrade.
3-Definitely, the down rudder line should always be pulled tight and cleated down. If there is a risk of damage in shallow water then uncleat, hold down with hand and release when rudder scrapes ( edited original answer thinking it was storage related)
4-Yes, but to be safe it would be wise to add a safety line, as FE Bob has reported the buckles breaking. Saying that I have never broken a buckle myself in 7 years of TI sailing and I don't use safety lines. The tramps have been enough for me.

Last edited by stringy on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you release bungees on the Aka/Ama's or the Bungees that hold Aka in to increase life time on elasticity?
*** Yes. Release.

On rudder do you keep the down chord pulled and cleated when under way? Won't that prevent it from kicking up?
*** Yes. Cleat when in more than 2 feet of water.

When headed to a soft beach, approach slowly, pull hard on the upward line when in about 2 feet of water, then get your mirage drive out of the hull.
I'd avoid allowing rudder to kick up like on a bigger catamaran.

When headed to a concrete ramp, similar process but I prefer to get rudder and mirage drive up and out even sooner, then hand paddle to ramp even more slowly and jump out in 1 foot of water to minimize bow damage