Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Trying to decide on my next boat. I'm looking at Hobies like the Getaway or 16 and also looking at Weta Trimaran. Will probably just have to sail both to decide but I would be interested in any feedback. My impression is the Weta might be a little easier - it is light, setup should be fairly easy, the floats should limit the heel with less hiking. I am also concerned with higher wind sailing and sudden high wind gusts. Anyone have experience on both or other ideas that might be helpful?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

You should also consider the Hobie Islands. There is nothing like them for versatility. Roller furling sail, spinnaker option and especially the MirageDrive.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-adventure-island/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've sailed both. Totally different boats. Weta is faster but will capsize easier (don't buy the stuff about it being hard to flip - it's not). Mostly suitable for one person, two adults in a pinch provided there is good wind, at least mid-double digits. Quick to rig, about 20 minutes at best once you get the procedure down.

The Getaway is larger, suitable for several people and moves pretty well in all winds. It's tougher, perhaps more comfortable with the wings, and costs far less. It will also capsize, but not as easily.

So what do you plan to do with this boat? I love my Weta but recognize the Getaway is a superior boat for family use. Matt's suggestion on the AI/TI may be a good one, again depending on what your priority is for the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thank you both.
I have a daysailer now that doesn't do well in wind over say 12 knots or so. Also start to worry about capsize in that boat at these winds with any gust.
Looking for a fun boat for a range of wind including higher winds.
Interesting on the easy capsize of weta, I have not been picking that up. I hope to sail one later this month. I also hope to rig and sail a Getaway but don't know if that is going to happen this season.
It would usually be 1-2 people but it would be nice if you could take out 4 on occasion, wouldn't have to be as fast of course.
Looking for a fun boat, it would be trailered, so easy setup, sometimes with just me, is best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Four people on a Weta? You could do it, but....

Lots of Weta videos out there but this one is worth a watch in terms of whether or not it can be capsized and how easily (and pitchpoles are another matter entirely!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Buo-QJ1QA&t=3s

Getaways can go over, too. But not as easily and they are better for multiple persons. I'm not saying one boat is better than the other, just that each one has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Just remember that any of the boats that tend to be fun, are fun precisely because they are overpowered. A boat that will not capsize is not going to be exactly thrilling. What are you looking for?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One last thing - catamarans are generally easier to right than trimarans. Trimarans will automatically turtle when they capsize.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah bunch of weta pitchpoles and capsizes. I see some jibes then capsizes in there. Next video after that is hobie capsizes.
Is there a trick to avoiding the capsizes re keeping the front of the floats up, etc?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One issue with both boats is that neither can be reefed as designed. That being said, a trip to the sailmaker and either one can have reef points put in them. I've sailed both and owned a Getaway. I did love the Getaway and hated the firehose wet of sailing the weta. The weta, though, was exhilarating - that thing really moved!!

For me, the new boat decision is always about 3 things. Cost, Performance, and Comfort. Performance is always one of the three that I insist on having. Getaway had "OK" performance (~15 kt top end), Weta has great performance (~20 kt top end). Both cost about the same once you get similar auxiliaries. Getaway was a comfortable boat-backrests and seats (a beer locker for gossake); Weta you are sprawled out on nets...not comfortable for a long ride. I owned a Getaway, didn't consider buying a Weta when I had the chance since for me, 4 kts better boat speed isn't worth having to wear a dry suit.

Personally, I wouldn't get an AI or TI instead of either boat above. Both the above boats are real sailboats. The AI or TI are hybrid sailing kayaks-different animal entirely. You can certainly have fun on all three, don't get me wrong, and I currently own a sailing kayak for fun...but it's not the same experience as sailing a performance multihull.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If money isn't an option there is also the Corsair Pulse 600 trimaran. Bigger than the Weta and faster than either boat you have listed. A little pricey at $35k new, but probably well worth that amount.

http://corsairmarine.com/trimarans/pulse-600/

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pulse 600 is, I am sure, a good boat; but you won't get one that sails for 35K. You will have to add sails and trailer which can add up to another 5K or so.

My choice is a SeaRail 19 which is both faster and prettier than the similarly sized Pulse-and, about 10K less all in. But you will likely find more Pulse' than SeaRails in the wild. I'm picking mine up in a week.

But there are other worthy choices, as well. Windrider 17 is safe and fun-knock on it is it doesn't point well. Astus 16.5 looks like fun but one owner has had a world of quality issues with his. Hobie 17 or 18s are out there and are fun boats-but you have to get a used one. Hobie Wave is a cat version of a weta (fun and wet, I mean-It doesn't get going as fast). Lots and lots of dingy monohulls like 29ers, 49ers, Vanguards... Lets not confuse the OP, though...hard enough to choose between Getaway and Weta.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

those larger trimarans look great. For budget purposes, and probably looking at used boats, the weta and getaway and hobie16, etc. would be the budget area I'm looking at. I do want a fun fast boat, am a little concerned about unexpected capsizes. I do have good control of helm and sheets for quick power reduction. Other capsize causes that I can't control would be a worry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like I said, boats that are overpowered are the fun ones, but they will capsize. Yes there is a trick to not capsizing and it involves several things such as using wise judgement and having the necessary skill to deal with situations that cause capsizes. Others have learned how to handle the boats and you can, too. Almost any boat can be depowered to a great extent. The Weta, instead of having reef points, has an adjustable clew plate on both jib and main. Combined with the cunningham you can effectively depower the boat by about 30% if conditions dictate. The Getaway has a traveler which you can move to dump wind/power. The jib can be furled. We one Getaway owner at the club and he sails it in some pretty awful conditions and does fine.

The most important thing, however, is the sailor. For me, part of the fun is going out on a day when a capsize is likely and sailing well enough that I don't capsize. Ease, hike, trim. Learn to read the water and whether the next gust is a header or a lift. Learn the boat and be able to move quickly to achieve the correct trim. This is all fun stuff.

If you want a boat that will not capsize under any conditions, well almost, and still deliver good performance, I'd suggest the Windrider 17. It's fast, can carry a horde of people, is easy to sail and is really difficult to capsize. Easy to trailer and launch. Sells for just over 10K. It's a really, really great boat particularly for trips, camping, families, etc. (of course now we're in AI/TI territory and they have the Mirage Drive). Only downside I have seen to the Windrider is that it doesn't point particularly well. Otherwise it's really an exceptional boat. Different for sure, but a great boat nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for the good ideas, I will look some more at the windrider 17. I guess the reason I am looking at trimarans is the idea that the floats can provide some protection from capsize in higher winds. Trying to find that best of both compromise... Learning a lot from the feedback, thanks much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The weta capsizes in the video weren't unavoidable. Most occurred because of pitching bow down-then the stern slews-then the wind backs (apparent wind disappeared cause you stopped), then all the weight is on the wrong side and over she goes. To avoid pitching bow down you have to release some mainsheet on the weta since there isn't a traveler to let down-you also can't quickly furl the jib since it is hanked on. I don't think you can bend the weta mast with the downhaul...Tom K would know-his videos are full of him finding the edge of the performance envelope--but that takes practice. The driver has to watch the lee ama bow and let out mainsheet when it starts to go under--really simple concept. We only came close to capsize when in the Weta on a day when the wind was shifty and a shift gust hit us during a tack...but we scrambled to the other side and rescued the boat.

I never flew a hull on the Getaway--even single handed. So I never came close to capsize. The traveler kept the boat nearly level all the way to 25 kt winds (which is when I reefed (I put in a reef point)). Gust response was good on the boat-you had enough time to either release the main or lower traveler--but I always kept both lines close to hand in winds above 15.

Windrider 17 only came close to capsize with a rookie driver who kept everything cleated for upwind when he was on a beam reach. The lee ama bow went under briefly but I had time to call attention to the driver to release the mainsail while I hiked out further.

I don't think you would be disappointed owning any one of the three. The two rotomolded boats (Getaway and Windrider) are bulletproof, don't even have to have fenders; downside is any dents or cracks are difficult (impossible?) to repair. Weta is fiberglass so can be repaired or easily modified to suit yourself if you want to put a cleat here or there.

Tough choice...I was happy with Getaway; also happy to sail (but not own) Weta and Windrider.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are going to capsize.
No matter how careful you are, at some point, a sudden gust will catch you, or you'll come out from behind a point, or as you pass leeward of a bigger boat the wind will catch you, or you will tack and a passenger will be slow in switching sides, or you will gybe unexpectedly. You will capsize.

So, I wouldn't be so afraid of it. Learn to right the boat. I belong to a sailing club, and we have to capsize and right the smaller boats unassisted to qualify to sail them. It's actually considered a high skill if you can turtle the smaller dinghies and right them without getting more than your ankles wet.

In 27 years of sailing Hobie 17s, a Thistle, and now a Getaway, I was always super careful to not capsize with my wife aboard. Then of course, coming away from the marina, a gust snuck around a building and dumped us. She wasn't thrilled, but now she knows it's not a big deal. (I've capsized with just myself, or friends, or my kids aboard any number of times.)

So, I wouldn't let that be my primary criteria. I've got a Getaway because I often carry a bunch of people (friends, kids, grandkids) and it's got a 1000 pound capacity. It sails pretty well with 6 adults on board, and yet I can handle it solo easily.
I've never sailed the Weta, but it looks pretty cool. It's capacity is listed at 440 pounds, so you're not going to carry a whole bunch of crew on that boat.

Too many canoes and kayaks