Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Maine Island Trail
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Our visit to the Penobscot Bay area coincided with The Wooden Boat Race by shear good luck. I was completely unaware. Bryan mentioned it after our day on the water but I was still clueless. The Wooden Boat School is just down the peninsula from Naskeag and also faces onto Eggemoggin Reach, so I'm thinking it's a small boat race. Was I wrong!!!

Sneaking up from behind the starting line

Joining Bryan, Darla, and Rudder to watch the race. You can see the fog creeping into the bay on the horizon.

One of the many jaw-dropping beauties at anchor for the festivities.

This race is a real big deal. Absolutely beautiful boats everywhere - something that I continued to see for my entire stay.

Last edited by BobAgain on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was very fortunate on many fronts during my stay and sail around Penobscot Bay. One of those strokes of good luck was being able to rent a small apartment from DougDNer for three weeks after my wife, Jim and Yvonne returned to Pa and Fl (respectively). It was a luxury to have a comfy place to stay and store my gear. Better yet was having another experienced sailor to help while I went through my final prep.

Doug had stressed that the beach wheels were very helpful / necessary for landing on the MITA islands and his encouragement convinced me to bring them along and forget the beach rollers. (I had also made a Haul Out system and planned to use that whenever possible.) I still hadn't used them, however, before shoving off. The night before leaving our discussion on wheel buoyancy and the difficulty of inserting the wheels under the boat led me to this plan; I would insert the axle assembly into the scupper holes (from the bottom) with only one wheel attached and then put the second wheel on the axle. I also let some air out of both tires to make them easier to submerge and attached cord loops around the axle pins to make them more secure in my hand. The plan worked like a charm!

After making my last minute preparations, I set out from Belfast for Butter Island about 1130 to coincide with the tide. Per MITA's handbook I had called the island caretaker the previous week and was given permission to stay for a few days - with the thought that I would island hop throughout the Bay for a week or two before returning. It was another bright sunny day, the winds were calm and I was looking forward to some enjoyable peddling. I started out in light gear since I was stripping off my jacket and pants after half an hour the last time launching out of Belfast.

The winds remained light out to the Monument (so light that I was thinking of starting my engine) and I recalled Doug's mention that often times there is a dead zone right there at the harbor mouth. Ten minutes later I was in 10 - 15 mph winds from the SW and ten minutes after that it was whitecaps. That darned spray got cold fast! Out came the dry pants and paddling jacket. My phone went into another dry bag - better to keep that safe - which I then lashed to the aka. The fun began in earnest.

I beat upwind toward and then past Ilseboro, keeping on the eastern side of it. The wind continued to build and with it the wind chop. I started the motor, peddled, and sailed with two turns on the mast. I ducked into coves to grab a few bites and admire the scenery. I felt really alive.

I stayed as close to Ilseboro as I could before crossing the open water toward Butter. It took an hour to reach the first of a string islands and with each tack I glanced over my shoulder trying to gauge how much more sunlight I had left. I was (finally) on a broad reach making 7 mph as I rounded the corner into the Orchard Beach cove. The sun was setting. I was pooped. I was back on land after 7 1/2 hours.

Two tents and 4 sea kayaks were already ashore as I started to unload. At low tide it was a hundred feet up the (relatively steep) beach. I inserted the wheels and rolled the TI onto the beach as best I could before sitting down to grab some more electrolyte and take a breather. Friendly shouts hailed me as my companions for evening (two couples from northern Maine) returned. Offers to help - something that I've encountered consistently in my kayaking experience - and brief introductions followed. I removed the AMAs (for the first time) and carried everything up to my campsite. I found my bilge pump and started to drain the TI - the nose and front hatch spent a lot of time in the water during the trip and there was about 5 inches of water visible in the mid hatch - before the hull was finally ready to tilt back and drain the remainder. With the help of Harold and Dan, we finally rolled it up the beach. I found some gorp, set my tent as I chomped a few mouthfuls and hit the hay.

I awoke to this

There are two campsites, both on the eastern side of Butter. The caretaker had suggested that I camp at Orchard since there would be fewer people there. The campsites are both spectacular.

My camping companions were fascinating folks; four teachers who were also mountain rescue folks in the Mt. Katahdin/ Sunday River area. They're the folks who get called in when someone is lost in that wilderness and folks I'd want to be with in an emergency. In mid-career, three of them decided to become nurses. Very cool.

As they packed up and left after a relaxed breakfast I began to go through my gear. My phone had drowned - the drybag closure had been pulled open after having a few waves roll over the deck. ARGH. I had no way to reach my wife to find out her plans to return to Maine . While I've rectified that now, trading my SPOT in for a Garmin InReach, it meant that I'd have to get a new phone pretty quickly. I decided to spend the next day on the island but then return to Belfast to replace the phone. "Something waterproof, thanks..."

Butter Island is one of the larger in the area and it has a 155 ft hill on it. I decided to take a walk up to it's summit that morning and this is what it looked like as I approached from Orchard Beach.

Thomas D. Cabbot apparently was quite fond of the spot - no wonder! The bench and accompanying poem provide a little insight..

I was so taken with the view that I went back at sunset and again at sunrise. Very kind of the Cabbots to share the island. Thank you.

I hung around Butter for the day and met the caretaker as he made his rounds, and my fellow campers who were a group of sea kayakers camped at Nubble beach. This group has been making a trip into the area every year for the past 16 years. I can see why.

Last edited by BobAgain on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arrggg!!! Am I the only one who cannot see your pictures, Bob???

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cant see any of the pictures in your last post.. and I of course would like to see those pictures. I have never been even close to that area but it somewhat resembles the San Juan Islands on the other side of the country. Probably a lot different but great vibe! I like the idea of renting a place to stay for a month and take along the TI and explore by day. I have never done a TI camping trip.. so enjoying also what that takes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

CaptnChaos is helping me w a workaround. Google Photos is generating links that work only sporadically.

Does the Monument pic show up now?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't see any of your pictures. I use Cloudinary to host my pictures. https://cloudinary.com/console/media_library

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Photos showing up?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can see all the photo's now. Thanks! Beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I can see the pictures!!! Nice.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great adventure!!
Thanks for the great pics, all the info and inspiration!!
Keep us posted and sail safe!
:)
(I will be heading out into the fjords in the north of Norway next summer.)
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After getting a new (water resistant) phone and taking a few side trips, I planned my next outing on the water: start with a sail out to George Head in the Merchants Row group and then go from there. My only constraint was that I wanted to be back Belfast for the MITA annual meeting in four days.

I headed out from Sedgwick (very TI friendly ramp) with the sun shining and a nice 15 mph wind blowing out on Eggemoggin Reach in the early afternoon. Fifteen minutes into the trip I realized that my Lowrance was frozen and had stopped working properly. I continued to sail south on a nice broad reach while playing around with it....I finally thought, "darn, I forgot my hammer". I felt confident that I'd be able to find George Head with my chart book and compass, however - after all, it's just south of Stonington, right?, so I continued on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures, Bob. Yes, just south of Stonington...piece of cake...until the fog rolls in...

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great write up Bob !

We only wish we had planned to spend more time in Maine. It's such an amazing place ... especially when you have your TI/AI's with you. Sorry it took so long to post those pictures as we were scrambling to get ready for Irma.

And the best part was meeting and hanging out with others that have islands and share the love of being on the water. Doesn't get much better than that.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Jim, great to hear from you. How did you do with Irma?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very kind of you to take time to host the pics, Jim, especially given the one or two other things that you might have been doing in prep of Irma.

Given how much fun we had in Maine, we're looking for a way to repeat it on a regular basis. I really just scratched the surface of exploring the coast this year. The Maine Island Trail Association is doing a great job of facilitating use and helping to oversee the care and feeding of those islands, too. Really a great group and a worthwhile membership.

Next time out, I'm going to try buying lobsters from those lobstermen, too. Wonder if I could wrap them in foil? While not a lot of islands allow open fires, there are still a couple that do (That picture of you and the lobster is stuck in my mind, Keith.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next