Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A short sidetrack in the project that I really should not priorotise but when the delivery arrived today I just had to give this idea of mine some time.

A cheep plastic chair with a swivel mount to be mounted ontop of the grabrails in the middle of the yak with a fighting gimbal.
The chair exceeds my expectations and is really sturdy so I think it will really suit the purpose.

I cut a piece of stailess steel plate and bent it to attach the gimbal onto. I removed the seat cushion to enable drilling thru the chair bottom to mount the swivel mount with bolts instead of the small screws that came with the chair.
The steel plate is bolted between the chair and the swivel mount. I will strenghten the front edge of the plate/gimbal with som bolts thru the bottom of the seat down to the plate to keep it from flexing.
A rather simple but functional design and for once its not as cumbersome and complicated as most of my work often gets. :?
Was lucky this time I guess? :lol:

I temporaraly clipped on the gimbal with some welding pliers and put some planks across the grabrails to test the idéa. I accually think this will work really good! :) The seat can rotate about 180dgr before the gimbal hits the grabrails and that is ok for my purpose.

The elevated fishing seat will be supernice for jigging and fighting bigger fish. My bad back will surely enjoy this new sollution a lot.
Sitting low down in a kajak with a huge fish on the line can really be hard om my back. :P

So now I just have to figure out a good way to attach an easily removable crossbar to mount the chair on...
But .. well that is a problem for tomorrow... "time to hit the sack"!

I am happy with the new "fighting chair"!! Lets get some good fish to match it!!
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Husse
+++ on use of metric system.
I have same problem getting ss nuts and bolts.
Pottsy

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pottsy wrote:
Husse
+++ on use of metric system.
I have same problem getting ss nuts and bolts.
Pottsy

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes "I hear you Bro"!
It sure would be much easier if we all used the metric system.

Seems very logic to make the change....?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On my day off today I had planned some fishing but it has been raining hard all day so cursing and complaining at the weather I continued the TI3 project instead. :(

(Accually its silly to complaint of this light rain considering the situation down in Texas and now in the Carribeans/Florida with the Hurricanes. I hope people can get to safety and that Irma settles down before making landfall in Florida. Irma is a terrible storm and there might be more of them this season. :shock: My toughts are with all the people down there and I also sent money for charity aid.)

Today I manufactured some stainless brackets that slide onto the 25x25mm tubes for the fighting-chair mount. They will be pop-riveted to the tube. The brackets clip onto the grabrail perfectly. :)
I fastened the fighting gimbal under the seat and added the extra bolts/tube supports and it now sits solid and can handle the load from the heavy rod/fish.

The seat is mounted with teporary bolts (I am missing the right lenght).
I tried the chair on the kayak. Seems to work pretty good. The seat is a bit high up but if I messured it correctly there is room to lower the grabrails about 7cm without hitting it with the feet when peddaling (the mirage drive is just under the seat).

"How silly is this??? A fighing fishingchair on a kayak??? This guy must be nuts!!!" :lol:

The stainless brackets will be cut a bit shorter and I will add bungys on the ends to tie around the grabrail to keep the chair in place.
The underside of the seat mount will be perfectly flat so it will be easy to store the chair out on the haka benches when not using it. I will just strap it down with the bungys. :D

Well time for some dinner and some well needed coffy. I will finish the build tonight and try the chair on the water the upcoming weekend.

If there is time left over later tonight I will mount the hydrofoil fins I got for the 4-Stroke.
This might be a very good idea but it might not work very well at all?! I really have no idea. :roll: I just have to try and see what happens!
I hope the hydrofoil will give som lift in the rear and make the TI plane a bit better. The offset position of the outboard is a bit worrying but I hope the amas will balance the craft.

The fins were $20 so its a rather cheep experiment and if it works it would be grate!
I will post the result from the test with the fins, good or bad, I can allways remove them if they suck.
All the best!!
Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow!!! :shock:
Husse your innovative and skilful metalwork continues to impress! 8)
Those brackets made out of the stainless tube are another great example of your incredibly clever skills. Very nice work!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1+ what Stringy said. I would love to have those metalwork skills. Fun to watch you put this fishing battleship together.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
Wow!!! :shock:
Husse your innovative and skilful metalwork continues to impress! 8)
Those brackets made out of the stainless tube are another great example of your incredibly clever skills. Very nice work!

vetgam wrote:
1+ what Stringy said. I would love to have those metalwork skills. Fun to watch you put this fishing battleship together.

Thanks Guys! :D But it really isnt "rocket science" after all. :)
Most of the stuff I done I just made with some simple tools and a lot of "elbow grease". My trusted machine grinder is of course well used and so far i have used up about 20 cutting discs. LOL
Good fun!! :D

I wish I had some better computer skills. I have been reading about 3D printers. Very interesting. It really would be grate to be able to simply print out some items in durable plastics. The bigger better ones are still a bit pricey and if I understand the stuff I read also the performance and durability of the printers can be expected to improve a lot in the near future.
So I am following this closeley.
Of course using a 3D printer would mean that I have to manage to transfer my ideas and "napkin scetches" into a CAD program but I guess I can learn how to do that?

In the mean time i will "keep on grinding"!
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want to play with CAD try OpenSCAD really easy math based. If you can draw stuff out on a grid you can use it. For example you need a cube 10x10x10 mm the code is cube(10,10,10). I used it when i was designing my trailer.

When i need a quick basic designs i use it.

As for 3D printers i have Printrbots and love them. My biggest will do about a foot cubed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
If you want to play with CAD try OpenSCAD really easy math based. If you can draw stuff out on a grid you can use it. For example you need a cube 10x10x10 mm the code is cube(10,10,10). I used it when i was designing my trailer.

When i need a quick basic designs i use it.

As for 3D printers i have Printrbots and love them. My biggest will do about a foot cubed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip mate! :D I will check it out.
3D printers surely is the thing of the future. Took a quick look at the Printrbots, very interesting!
A foot (cubed) is massive! :) More then sufficient for most applications. It would be perfect to manufacture stuff for cameramounts, electronics, fishing gear accesories, etc. :D

I will get into this a bit deeper during this winter and consider setting up a printer next year.
/Gustav

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Busy weekend!!! Lots of small things got done!
:D

Started of finishing the motorplate. The screws I was missing arrived in the mail last friday.
Attached the teak railings and manufactured som aluminium protective corners. So now the plate is ready for the trolling motor.

I still have not started the work with the g/f cowl... got to get that done aswell! :?

I finnished the fish fighting chair. Trimmed of the lenght of the stainless brackets and riveted them so now the chair can be laid down flat and secured on the haka bench when not in use. :)
I lowered the grab rails about 6cm (2 1/2") so now the sitting height is perfect. No problem pedaling with the chair ontop. The feet do not touch but the chair blocks visibility a bit.
I put on some black crimping tube on the grabrail to stop the brackets from sliding. Works really well and looks cool to. :)
I must still add the bungee-cords that will secure the chair on the grabrail.

Yesterday I finaly mounted the hydrofoil-fins on the 4-stroke. It hurts a bit to drill holes in brand new stuff.
Simple mount, just 4 holes and bolted them on. Easy fit.

Well did it work??? :?
I took a short testride this evening to find out....
Yes, absolutely! Big difference and the TI now behaves very much better. The tail does not burrow much at all now.
The top speed is still not faster then 10 knots but on half throttle the TI now cruises nicely at 9 knots!! :lol:

I am very happy with that! It was sure worth $20 and the four holes in the new 5hp Mercury. 8)

So a busy weekend and some good results! Nice!
Se ya!

Last edited by Husse0416 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow! I get excited just watching that clip, Gustav. Great work. I'm a fishing newb, so feel free to throw in some tips there, too. Enjoy the boat.

Last edited by BobAgain on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now this is someone getting the most out of this boat. I'm not sure if its the hydrophoils or the weight distribution but you have that boat moving at a nice clip and pretty darn level. Nice going Husse.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad you liked the clip!
On this testride I had no load/weight at all up front as I wanted a fair comparison with the first testrides I did without the hydrofoil.
Its definately a big improvent, much more level with the hydrofoil and aspecially in the midrange giving the TI a good cruising speed.
Strangely the same effect remains as in the first test that the steering with the motor is very ineffective. It hardly steers at all by turning the outboard? :?
No big deal as the rudder gives good control and is easier to access anyway. :)

Next test I will load up the TI with the full weight of the batteries and the electric trolling motor. Take a ride with the motor with sail/mast and hakas mounted and se how it runs. I guess I will loose a knot or two in speed but as long as the TI handles good and keeps fairly level I will be happy.

When I finish the swinging motorplate for the 4-stroke (some details left to fix that I am not to happy with) well... while at it I might consider adding a negative angle, like the transom on most boats. Thus making it possible to trim the outboard a bit better. Just a thought....

All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Heavy Duty Anchor Reel !!

Finaly after a couple of months searching and trying to decide about a better more solid anchor reel I found just what I wanted!
The old plastic reel will still bee used in my little "ChinaYak".
An English company "Kent Tooling Diving Products" fabricates (small scale production) high quality heavy duty ascessories for the tech-dive market.
Their dive reels are really awsome. A few weeks ago I made the order and it finaly arrived at the door today!
*beeep* YES!!! :o
All marine grade heavy duty stainless. Very good locking brake with freespool. Solid carbin hatch attachment. This version fills 150meters of 3mm line. The std line is a bit thin for my purpose so I will upgrade it to 4-5 mm and have about 60meters on the spool, should be plenty.
I will have to get a bigger float for the new anchor reel its a bit on the heavy side but I really like the quality.
Heavy Duty!! 8)

I will setup the new anchor line and post the setup with my own inventive (sort of) sollution for the quick release system.
I am very happy with the purchase, it wasnt cheep but well worth the investment!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Gustav,

I keep looking for the "Like Button" while following this thread. Consider the like button has been pushed :D

I'm really looking forward to the fully loaded test run video. Great work and I agree, the TI is a great platform from which to modify. You are certainly getting an interesting craft and fantastic work.

Thanks for continuing to bring us along on your journey.

Cheers
John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next