Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found what I think is a pretty good deal on a 08 hobie outback. I can't tell what's different between it and current models. The compartments look to be in the same places and the same size, rudder looks identical, it does have an upgraded seat which looks more like the current model that was added. I'm just curious if the large amount of money I would save it worth it vs buying a new one that looks identical to me. I think the new models come lowrance ready which this one doesnt but the previous owner put a trandmsducer arm on it already. I plan to use it for fishing.

Is the seat and transducer hole really the only difference in almost 10 years? The overall layout looks identical.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nirvana, welcome to the forum! Hobie continually makes changes to its models, but not all are apparent. A couple of these are significant. First, just for SOP, check the serial # to verify the year model (last 2 digits). If correct, you have the "V-1" Drive, which was upgraded in 2009. There is a big difference in reliability. It is possible that the seller has upgraded the Drive -- if so that is good. Look at the sprockets (where the fin rod (mast) attaches). You want to see a brass insert as seen on the right side of this pic:

The next big item is the way the Drive locks in. The '08 uses cam locks that twist to lock the Driveshaft in position. In 2009 the switched to the current "Click N Go" where the Drive drops in and locks up. This is much stronger. If this boat has the cam locks, look inside the front hatch and examine the cam columns to see if they are cracked.

Look in the drivewell for any hairline cracks. If you see any, they are almost impossible to repair adequately. If the Drive is V-1, check the masts to see if they wobble. If not, you can always upgrade later if a problem develops. You can reinforce the cam columns later as well if they crack, although it's not an easy repair. Examine the hull bottom to get an idea about how well the boat was treated -- keep in mind that a few scratches are normal and harmless.

Accessories are expensive, so if your seller is including wheels, Turbofins, etc, that makes it a better bargain. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ouch..... seller said the bottom had a crack that had been repaired but didn't leak. He was pretty confident year model was 08 so I assumed he checked the serial number.

He was including an extra set of turbo fins, paddle, upgraded adjustable seat, fish finder and battery. Price is 1,000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sometimes a deal is not a deal. A crack in the hull is almost always caused by stress. Unless the stress is mitigated, the crack will come back. Most cracks are caused by stress from the Drive, so they are not usually mitigable. Surface repairs are never as strong as the original material. IMO, once cracked below the waterline, a boat is a high risk proposition, "repaired" or not. For $1000 I would think you would want a sound hull for starters.

Personally I would look for a 2009 and newer -- they have Click N Go, V-2 Drives and are more durable with fewer problems over the long term. Your most important item is always the soundness of the hull -- keeping uninvited water out is basic to any boat! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yea it doesn't say specifically where it was cracked and I haven't asked. I didn't even think about it being related to the drive. The ad has a picture of the mirage drive if you can tell which version it is by that.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/ho ... 96509.html

It isn't a done deal yet. I've been trying to meet up with the guy but our schedules havent lined up yet. I really want a pedal kayak but I may just have to settle for a regular paddle yak. Most of the pro angler guys want enough to buy a decent boat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:39 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

That's a V-1 Drive. There are some dark areas on the fins -- I wonder if they have been repaired? Note, if it is, as written, the boat includes one Drive, not an "extra".

You'll have to examine the boat to inspect the crack. Most common cracks are in and around the drivewell and the hull bottom in front of the drivewell. He bought the boat second hand so he probably doesn't know where the serial # is to verify the year model (bottom or side of hull near stern, hand scribed). Bring chalk to rub over it to see it better.

The question is, do you have $1000 to gamble, or do you want something you're confident will not sink on you (along with your gear)? Or is there a price that makes it worth the risk? Tough choice! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After alot of looking and thinking if I was willing to gamble a grand I found a 2012 hobie PA 14 rigged out and includes a trailer. It's obviously more than $1k but I figure I can get some money back from the trailer since I live on the bay I don't really need it. I was hoping it would be lowrance ready but looks like that didn't come out till 2013.... the owner has a pretty nice setup with a mad frog transducer arm. So same question what doesnt the 2012 pro angler have that the current model does?. The things I've found is no vantage seat, it has a raised compartment in front of the seat, no lowrance ready, I'm not sure if this is gone or not but 2012 has rod holders and I'm not sure if 2017 does. Anything else I'm missing?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my PA-14 in 2013 because the Vantage seat was a major improvement.
The Lowrance ready transducer feature is very nice too.

The only changes I have made is retrofitting the rudder BOA and changing the standard rudder for the larger rudder as I down rig fish most of the time. The larger rudder does improve tracking.
I think the model year 2015, PA-14 came with the "tracking skeg" .

If it were me, I would seek a 2013 PA-14 or later, as the seat makes extended time on the water a pleasure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did read the vantage seat was much more comfortable. But I do agree with the one big downside. I like to sit side saddle with my feet in the water and fish can't do it with the vantage seat. I wonder how much more comfortable it is vs losing the ability to turn sideways. My old pescador seat wasn't very comfortable but as long as I could move around and adjust I could fish for hours. I would prefer the lowrance ready but the arm doesn't sound to bad since I can fold it inside and not worry about breaking the transducer as much. I think I read the arm is better for side scan as well.

What is the tracking skeg and rudder boa?