Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice here was my tent trailer for some ideas

Could easily be converted in to a free standing frame that detaches.

Another idea i had was make a box for my truck kinda like a truck camper. But we ended up scraping this idea and sold the tent. Really not that much a faster than setting up a regular tent (we bought the REI kingdom).

Really the best use case for a RTT was the off-roading guys that crawl all day then set camp and don’t move their vehicles. Just my experiences with our RTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Nice here was my tent trailer for some ideas

-SNIPPED-

Really the best use case for a RTT was the off-roading guys that crawl all day then set camp and don’t move their vehicles. Just my experiences with our RTT.

Nice trailer!! :D Like the setup!
Something like that is the idea but with a storage box underneath the RTT and the stand removable.
:)

Regular tents is unfortunately not very practical for my use. When we go up to Norway or down to Spain we have about 15000 miles to drive (one way) most of this distance is just driving with stops just to sleep. It also rains a lot in the north of Sweden/Norway. Finding a flat piece of ground in the dark and setting up a regular tent in the dark and rain is not what I want.
Down in Europe camping is prohibited in many places and the camp sites are often fully booked so sleeping by the side way or reststops by the highway is sadly often necessary.

I have had two RTT before and it takes about half the time to set up compared to a regular tent with a lot less effort and you can camp anywhere, by the road side, parking lots etc. I just love them. If the wind isnt to bad its not even necessary to secure the RTT just fold it up and hit the sack. Sleeping bags and matresses are allredy in place. No way to compare this with a regular tent :)
I also like the elevated position with the RTTs, feels exclusive somehow... who doesnt like a penthouse? LOL!
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We used a Maggiolina Columbus on top of our 4WD for a while back in the days when we did long distance touring. I liked the easy setup and comfort but didn't like how it performed in strong winds. Had to get up in the middle of the night a few times to move the vehicle so it faced into the wind. Being up so high on windy nights it was just like sleeping on a boat!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
We used a Maggiolina Columbus on top of our 4WD for a while back in the days when we did long distance touring. I liked the easy setup and comfort but didn't like how it performed in strong winds. Had to get up in the middle of the night a few times to move the vehicle so it faced into the wind. Being up so high on windy nights it was just like sleeping on a boat!

Yeah I know the problem. Had my first RTT on my G20 Chevy van. We "were rockin all night"! LOL, didnt bother me much but my g/f got sortof seasick. LOL!
Anyway with the RTT stand unloaded firmly on the ground this wont be an issue.
:)
It wl be nice to have all the space with the area underneath the tent + the awning outside. Almost like a little summer house.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Husse0416 wrote:
...When we go up to Norway or down to Spain we have about 15000 miles to drive (one way) most of this distance is just driving with stops just to sleep. ...

15,000 miles!?! One way!?!

When you get back you'll have gone all the way around the globe and more! :D

Seriously though, awesome work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pro10is wrote:
Husse0416 wrote:
...When we go up to Norway or down to Spain we have about 15000 miles to drive (one way) most of this distance is just driving with stops just to sleep. ...

15,000 miles!?! One way!?!

When you get back you'll have gone all the way around the globe and more! :D

Seriously though, awesome work.

Ops! "My Bad!"
One zero to many, conversion error! 2500km / 1500 miles! LOL!!
Still a long way to travel but well worth the trip. The nature is stunning in Norway and the fishing awsome.
The diversity is not as great as in Southern or tropical waters but the catch is aboundant and there are some exteme fish. This summer they put a new record for Halibut in the rod in Norway, 245 kgs (~550lbs) almost 3m long! Now thats a proper fish! LOL!
My goal is to land a 100kgs + halibut next season.... (if I am lucky and persistent).
Cod often up to 50lbs is not uncommon. Wolffish and large coalfish are also common.
To make up a little of the cost for the long trip we usually freeze plenty of fish and bring it back home... so sadly there will not be many stops on the way with the coller full of fish.

Next summer I will also be fishing in the southern parts of Norway targeting porbeagle sharks. The species is slowly coming back after almost being extinct from overfishing in the 60-70s. It a C&R only fishing on the porbeagle but lots of fun.... sadly C&R because they are said to be very good to eat. Lets hope they rise in numbers so I can invite you for dinner! :D

Weather can be a bit rough up in the north even in the summer so when camping outdoors a very good tent is important. After a full day at sea, tired and a bit cold its important to comfotably kick back, get fed and get som energy back. ( a few beers helps too ! :D )
I have been planning for a Gordigear tent for a couple of years. The quality is exelent and they have a special tent for trailers that is awsome.... sadly the price is also "awsome"! LOL!
But I think it can be worth the cash. To rent a cabin is also expensive so the tent is "paid for" after 3-4 weeks compared to renting a cabin. I also very much like to be able to move around. When renting a cabin you are "stuck" in the same location. Weather and wind can often make fishing impossible off-shore so with a trailer/tent setup its very easy to change location and make camp inside the fjords instead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah my tent had a huge annex and took like 30 mins to set up once you leveled the trailer and got all the zippers to line up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Yeah my tent had a huge annex and took like 30 mins to set up once you leveled the trailer and got all the zippers to line up.

Awsome setup. Thanks for the pics and inspiration! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gustav, you may have missed my question 'buried' in the last post, but I have just bought a couple of 'Spine board' hakes and was wondering how you planned to mount yours... I've been holding off waiting to see your solution as I feel it will be very good ..... :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Haliboo wrote:
Gustav, you may have missed my question 'buried' in the last post, but I have just bought a couple of 'Spine board' hakes and was wondering how you planned to mount yours... I've been holding off waiting to see your solution as I feel it will be very good ..... :D

Oh sorry! Yup... I didnt see your question sorry missed it Mate!
Well I havent had time to give the Haka boards much thought. For now I have been using 25mm nylon straps and have a foam noddle on the aka underneath. That works just fine but it takes som extra time when I have to rig/mount everything before I launch and the amas cant be folded unless I unstrap the hakas of course.

So its a 2 part problem really....

1. The mounting have to be quick and solid. Easily mounted/removable.
2. It would be nice if the amas could fold in with the haka boards mounted without unstrapping them.

I still dont really know how to best solve this? I guess I would have to drill holes thru the spine boards to solve this with some sort of swivel or axel.
I wonder whats inside them under the plastic? Foam? Wood?
Hmmm.... Yup... some sort of swivel plates could definately work.... one at each end front/rear .... with large washers ( aprox 25cm/10" ) underneath and maybe a teflon/nylon disc inbetween to reduce friction a bit when folding the amas.
The principle feels right but the details are hazy... many ways to do this I guess.... some sort of removable clamp on the aka tube and maybe a bungie to secure it in place so it doesnt slide along the tube?

Work.... (the place I get paid LOL!) is sadly interfering with my limited brain capacity at the moment (much overtime) so when I get home in the evenings I am pretty "nackered". Not much creativity left... sold to the company! LOL!
But I am pressing on with the build and will give the haka board issue some more thought soon. I am also planning the best way to make the tramps work with the rest of the gear in a good way. I will be making my own custom trampolines and have some weird ideas about this (as usual LOL!).

In the mean time I will just use the 25mm straps. Works fine but is a bit time consuming.

What boards did you get? :) Pics? :D

I am very happy with my spline boards apart for the weight.... but thats the same problem with all spine boards they are a bit to heavy. (Carbon fiber spine boards would be nice !? LOL)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ahhh, thought you might have missed it!!

I'll post some pics when next up so you can see, but I also was going to go with the foam/strap setup until I see something I really like. After reading the latest threads regarding capsizing I don't like the idea of having anything too fixed if you know what I mean? Keep out lines and a tramp/haka combo all work against 'one' if you do indeed turtle it! Hope the spine boards float if I do have to jettison them!! Regards, H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Haliboo wrote:
ahhh, thought you might have missed it!!

I'll post some pics when next up so you can see, but I also was going to go with the foam/strap setup until I see something I really like. After reading the latest threads regarding capsizing I don't like the idea of having anything too fixed if you know what I mean? Keep out lines and a tramp/haka combo all work against 'one' if you do indeed turtle it! Hope the spine boards float if I do have to jettison them!! Regards, H

I think most of the spine board float, mine does but the boyancy is not enough to carry a person or a heavy load.
Anyway with a safety line its possible to ditch the board and retrieve later once "the mess" has been delt with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Haka, very ligth and easy to fold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwMjc8-UcHw

Br
Thomas (also living in Sweden)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
Haka, very ligth and easy to fold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwMjc8-UcHw

Br
Thomas (also living in Sweden)

Genius...! What are the tubes made from?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spaflex, the flexible glueable PVC tubing used in hot tubs works a lot better than pool noodles to set the spine boards on. It's very tough and non slip against the spine board. I have some pics over in the Haka thread.
I split it down the middle with a jigsaw and made cutouts for the various fittings. It snaps over the akas very tightly and provides a very non slip surface for the 2 Ft straps I secure the spineboards with.

I've sketched a few ideas for hinged mounting hardware. I think I would still use the Spaflex for the Haka to sit on and use concentric pieces of pipe side mounted on the aka as the pivot and bend a sheet metal cradle for attachment to the Spineboard. I seem to remember the Spineboards are foam filled but don't know if it's an open cell foam that might get waterlogged if you drilled holes in them.

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next