Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Hobie!! Thanks Matt!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried to order the aka and furling drum upgrades yesterday from my local dealer Austin Kayak using their 800 Customer Service number and was told by the very rude "Customer Service" person (Zack), that " We don't know about any free upgrades from Hobie "; followed by refusing to look at this Sticky on the forum or look up the parts from the numbers I offered to supply him.

I finally called the local store directly and I'm waiting for a call back from the salesperson who has to call someone else at Corporate to find out about the parts for me. But he was helpful and took all of the information needed.

But thanks Matt for making these parts available. :D

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Asked my local dealer about this last week, upgraded parts arrived yesterday! I'm very fortunate to have a Hobie dealer close by whose customer service is as good as Hobies! Thanks Jerry & the crew at Captain Kayak in Sayville, NY; top notch!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris I used ACK in Houston (on Bissonnet) and they had it for me in 3-4 days. These guys never let me down. They have another set in stock. You may want to give the a call.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Greg, I know you are in Houston and wondered if you had tried to order the parts yet.
I'm mystified about why their corporate Customer Service line was clueless. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day.
I'll give the Austin store where I bought the boat a chance to come through for me and keep Houston as a backup plan.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are the upgrade available in Europe yet??

I contacted my retailer In Stockholm Sweden (Seafari / Hobie shop ) and got the respons that the parts for aka/furler was not available from the Holland warehouse???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Chris I have the parts. I installed the furlER guide but gave up on the aka clamps. I found it very difficult to "push" the clamps out of the crossbar and was worried that I may not be able to get the new clamp positioned perfectly to screw into place. I gave it a go and then quickly decided that I didn't have a problem in the first place and it wasn't worth the risk of creating another. Would love to hear if someone has a clever way to do it. I used the flat head screen drivery in the holes idea. I even had the benifit of a 2.5ft screw driver. I'll wait for feedback from those who were brave enough to finish the job.

I put it back the way it was and went sailing instead. :D

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just finished my upgrade. I had seized screws on the amas. I ended up breaking one out of the four on two amas.
I couldn’t get the furling line guide to fit until I removed the old nuts. They were stuck underneath where you can’t see them. Make sure to cover the mast receiver with a towel or you’ll end up rolling your boat over to retrieve the nuts you'll drop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

Understand that it takes awhile to distribute these parts and especially World Wide. Place the claim... they will get the parts as they become available.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Quote:

Understand that it takes awhile to distribute these parts and especially World Wide. Place the claim... they will get the parts as they become available.

Thanks Matt!
:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Woohooo, picked up my kit yesterday and will be installing soon. It looks to be well designed and much better than previous. Thank you all!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
Yes Chris I have the parts. I installed the furlER guide but gave up on the aka clamps. I found it very difficult to "push" the clamps out of the crossbar and was worried that I may not be able to get the new clamp positioned perfectly to screw into place. I gave it a go and then quickly decided that I didn't have a problem in the first place and it wasn't worth the risk of creating another. Would love to hear if someone has a clever way to do it. I used the flat head screen drivery in the holes idea. I even had the benifit of a 2.5ft screw driver. I'll wait for feedback from those who were brave enough to finish the job.
I understand your concern Greg.

I just finished doing my akas and I could not figure out how to do it using their directions and the flat head screwdriver. What I did was make a hook tool out of a piece of steel rod I had laying around. Put the end of the steel rod in a vice and hit it with a hammer to make a hook at the end. Then using a flashlight (wife's idea:), look into the aka chamber and slide the rod with hook in to grab the piece. Press the two buttons in while pulling on the rod/hook and it will slide right out. The new one slides in fairly easily and that's where I used a large flat head screwdriver to push it in. Push it until the buttons snap into the holes and the screws should line up pretty good. Easy as can be. The other piece that goes on the aka can go on two ways. The top of the ramp should go on the outside of the bar. But no worries if you put it on backwards because you will know. It will not lock when you pull on the aka. I found that out on my first try :oops: . Once it's done, you should have a beautifully locking aka bar. It really is a fantastic upgrade. Good engineering.

This is what I quickly made from scrap steel rod. Without this, it would have been difficult to remove the old part from inside the aka chamber. Took quite a bit of a pull to get them out. Much easier to slide the new ones in.

Thanks for the free upgrade Hobie !

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

skymax wrote:
At last. My Hobie dealer has shut down since I bought my AI2, so who do I get my Upgrade from?

Any Australian Hobie kayak dealer can assist. In Australia you need to call or email a dealer, provide the dealer with the serial number of the kayak, then they file the info on-line to us (Hobie Asia Pacific) and the dealer can get the part to you. Each dealer has been sent this information.

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, All I tried to install my upgrades and had no problem with the furler guide.

Aka clamps where another story. My island is a 2015 which didn't help me any. Removing the clips, I had no small screwdriver, I needed something long and narrow. Looked around and saw my Spinnaker Mast Assembly it had the wind indicator rod which I used it to push out the clip. No problems.

Removing the screws was another story. 2 sheared off before I even realized it on the first ama. I was stunned at how little force it took to shear the screws off. Stopped at this point to sleep on the problem. Will not put it back together with half the screws missing on one ama.

Unless, someone has a better suggestion and having slept on the problem. I will probably take the other amas off the boat and take all four to a metal shop to have the sheared off ones drilled and tapped and have them remove the other seized screws. My experience with metal shops is it will be easy for them and be impossible for me and my tools to properly fix the problem.

Hope this helps someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

blispers wrote:
Hi, All I tried to install my upgrades and had no problem with the furler guide.

Aka clamps where another story. My island is a 2015 which didn't help me any. Removing the clips, I had no small screwdriver, I needed something long and narrow. Looked around and saw my Spinnaker Mast Assembly it had the wind indicator rod which I used it to push out the clip. No problems.

Removing the screws was another story. 2 sheared off before I even realized it on the first ama. I was stunned at how little force it took to shear the screws off. Stopped at this point to sleep on the problem. Will not put it back together with half the screws missing on one ama.

Unless, someone has a better suggestion and having slept on the problem. I will probably take the other amas off the boat and take all four to a metal shop to have the sheared off ones drilled and tapped and have them remove the other seized screws. My experience with metal shops is it will be easy for them and be impossible for me and my tools to properly fix the problem.

Hope this helps someone else.

WD-40 and a better screwdriver that fits exactly might help! Press hard and go slow...
I just hate when screw heads gets messed up.... its a hassle for sure. Philips screw heads should be banned.
Good luck and thanks for the report. I am still waiting for my upgrade parts and once I get started with removing the aka screws I will prepare.
:)
/Gustav

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next