Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie TI Boat Cover Deteriorating Badly

Hi All,
Both my neighbour and I bought Tandem Islanders late 2015 and early 2016. Both were brand new and came from local dealers on the South Coast of New South Wales. Included in the sale were 'Hobie' branded covers which were brilliant, initially.

18 months later my neighbour's cover straps have disintegrated and both covers are now covered with a powdery white film. :(

As these covers were about AU$500-00 each I would have expected a greater lifespan than this?

Is it normal for the covers to deteriorate this quickly and, if so, is there a better quality alternative?

Any information on this would be great...

Cheers,
Dave and Stuart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Further to my post, I have had contact from Steve Fields, Managing Director - Hobie Cat Asia Pacific, in relation to this issue.

He recommends I take the covers to a Hobie dealer for inspection and then work out what we do from there.

Great service from Hobie, Australia.

Cheers,
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 am 
Site Admin

The newer AI and TI covers were designed for the Island specifically (yours were an earlier universal type I would bet) and are a heavier material than the standard covers. I know that Danuu (makes these) has some issues with webbing at some point. That can be replaced, but the covers are not marine grade canvas, so UV will degrade them after some time.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got a 20ft tarp from SuperCheap, doubled it over, added more eyelets. $68. Good for a couple of years or more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

6 Ft. X 20 Ft. Super Heavy Duty 8 Oz. Brown Tarps - 16 Mil Thick ... By Tarpsdirect At Amazon.

I've had it a year with no complaints. It fits well. It has held up well. I have not had it on the highway, but just to cover the TI for storage it works great for me and only $34.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still using my 2008 AI hull cover which has had at least Two seasons in direct sun and cost about $USD150, straps are fine, they must have made it out of tough stuff.
The new covers are VERY expensive, go to your local Upholsterer and have him sew up a cover from quality canvas, you don't really need the straps 'cos it should not be transported with the cover on due to flapping making scuff marks on yerr Hull.
I bet it will be cheaper than $USD500.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rustyretired wrote:
Hobie TI Boat Cover Deteriorating Badly18 months later my neighbour's cover straps have disintegrated and both covers are now covered with a powdery white film. :(

...I would have expected a greater lifespan than this?

Is it normal for the covers to deteriorate this quickly and, if so, is there a better quality alternative?

If they are made out of the same grade material that my AI's mast/sail cover is, I would say it is expected.

Seems to me like Hobie are using fabrics that have little or no UV resistance. They look nice on the showroom floor, but deteriorate badly after a season of use.

Even the el-cheapo 10-oz painter's drop cloths that I used to make my own AI cover are outlasting the mast/sail cover - and the mast/sail cover gets covered up by the drop cloth boat cover when it is sitting unused, so the UV exposure is much, much less for the mast/sail cover than for the boat cover.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking of getting one of the Hobie Covers for my TI and then spraying it with 303 UV Protectant Spray. I have used this on other covers and it has worked great. (boat seats/grill cover) Has anyone tried this on their TI cover?