Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
Rnykster wrote:
Perhaps a set of stainless steel sprokets? At least they won't crack! 8)
That is very true.

My spare drive unit IS one of the stainless steel type. The plastic sleeve in those units is only about 2/100ths of an inch thick. The standard fins wore those sleeves out rather quickly.

Currently my old steel unit needs new cables, new pedals and new drums. I might as well just buy a brand new drive unit. But I have an issue with that because I bought a second drive unit to replace the problematic 1st drive unit. To go back to the original drive unit is heading in the wrong direction.

Hmmm, getting a new drive unit would mean I can carry TWO spare drive units with me on each trip. :shock: The sad part is, I wouldn't feel any more secure with 3 drive units than I do with two drive units based on the frequency they are breaking on me.

Refurbishing the old steel drive unit sounds like it is the only option though. At least on that one I can put on sealed SPD pedals. Can you imagine the pressure I can put on those thin plastic sleeves using clipless pedals and turbo fins? Yikes! The chains will be skipping gears frequently unless the cables are very tight.

Matt - are the plastic sleeves still available? Drums? Cables? How much in way of parts are available for those old steel drive units?

For those of you reading this with an impression that I am fitness animal in top notch shape who is putting the Outback to extremes, let me fill you in with the facts. I'll be able to get a senior citizen banking account next month (over 50). I have puny legs with a thigh circumference of only 21 inches. I don't pedal the kayak at racing speeds, rather, I go on leisurely kayak trips geared toward photography. I rarely work up a sweat. A young serious fitness buff would surely tear it up drive units faster than me.

Hooked on the drug Outback...waiting on the next fix...

Post subject: Parts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:19 am 
Site Admin

The "Bushings" for the stainless sprockets are # 81340001 They are available.

We are also re-starting production on stainless sprockets as an accessory (not yet available). # 81130001 Yes, chain tension is more critical.

Same chains... yes, available.

We do not have aluminum drums or spines.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Parts
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Same chains... yes, available.
Hi Matt - here is some feedback for your engineeers in reference to drive unit sprocket issues:

I moved the turbo flippers to an old stainless steel sprocket drive (my spare drive unit) and moved the regular flippers to the composite sprocket drive.

The turbo flippers worked well with the stainless steel unit. That worry feeling about composite sprockets splitting (based upon experiences) went away.

Then I did a fast start to catch a boat wake and heard the dreaded POP noise. The chain skipped a link in the sprocket - the exact same problem I had with the regular masts, even when the chains are very tight. The shafts must bending a little or the chain must be positioned such that it catches on a gear when overly stressed allowing it to skip. Maybe that is where the "Click" noise comes from when pedaling with a stainless drive unit.

IMHO, if Hobie is considering production of those original stainless steel parts without consideration of reinforcing those parts to meet the demands of the turbo masts, you're likely to have another wave of drive unit issues - chain jumping gears.

For cruising at a steady pedal pace, the stainless steel drive unit totally eliminates the possibility of sprocket splits - it is rock solid in that respect. I'll be leaving the turbo masts on the stainless steel sprocket meaning - no more broken sprockets. Yea! Sure wish I didn't have to pedal so delicately though.

The majority of your buyers probably use their pedal kayak a half dozen times and never use it again meaning a standard mast with standard composite parts are perfect for them.

Please remember the rest of us who consider the Mirage similiar to a bicycle - an endorphin addicting vehicle that gives us much pleasure.

Bless Hobiecat for helping to stop me bicycling sucidially down the highway and street graveyards. I really would like a Mirage bicycle that I can stomp down on the pedals without worry of something breaking or slipping.

When you upgrade your drive unit design to provide strength, quick change of mast capability, and use reliable parts, you won't be able to produce Mirage kayaks quick enough due to product demand. :)

Post subject: Aidos
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It doesn't look like Hobie is planning to fix their Mirage drive unit design problems anytime soon.

I've waited at least three years for some drive fixes and I'm still having to pedal so delicately it is no longer fun to kayak in the Mirage Outback. The drive units are so prone to breaking that I don't feel comfortable with just a spare drive unit aboard, spare parts and tools are also a stardard part of my trip pack and there were plenty of times when it was necessary to use them.

If you ride a bicycle and it breaks every other trip, you junk it. There are other ways to get exercise without dealing with the frustrations of dealing with a poorly designed turbo drive unit. No need to worry about my complaints any more, I sold the Outback.

It's been fun.

Bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Rnykster,

Many of us are indebted to you for your excellent contributions to the forum and for bringing several valid issues to the forefront. As a result, I've become much more maintenance oriented and have been able to avoid some potential problems.

I'm sorry that things haven't worked out so well for you -- you certainly gave it a great effort. Obviously the Mirage Drive just isn't up to your strength level. Hopefully Hobie will make a Rnykster-proof drive one of these days!

Best of luck to you and thanks again for your helpful participation. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea Rny,
Ditto from me, as well. Sorry we were not able to hook up somewhere along the Gulf Coast as we had planned, but the best of luck in your future aqueous endeavors.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yup. I'm a newbie! This is a great forum with a wealth of information. As I read through these 8 pages of dialog, I was trying to absorb as much as possible. I want to maintain my Adventurer as perfectly as possible. I'm sorry to hear that Rnykster is leaving. :( Hobie should hire him for field testing!
I've had my Adventurer for 16 months now and have only had one problem. I use my Hobie for saltwater fishing, averaging one use per 2 weeks and often hit oysters, mud or sand with my standard size fins. During a night time fishing trip, I noticed my drive making an awful squeeking noise. When I got back to the ramp, I noticed that I could not remove the drive. After some fumbling around in the dark, I noticed that the sprocket shaft was trying to escape! :shock: It had worked itself out through the front by almost 2 inches. I had a piece of PVC pipe and used it like a hammer to drive the shaft back in. The next day, I centered the shaft and tightened the set screws. Maybe I should have removed it and deburred it, but I didn't.
Anyway, I love my Adventurer and congratulate Hobie on a great product and great service. I hope Hobie continues to work on strengthening the drive, as I am about ready to graduate to some Turbo fins!
BTW, after a day of fishing, I wash my drive with a soft bristle brush and auto shampoo. I blow as much water out as I can with compressed air and spray liberally with WD-40.
Thanks to all for a great site and great info. If you are interested in saltwater fishing, check out the best kayak fishing site on the WEB. http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Joe,
Welcome to the Hobie site--glad to see you over here! This is a great spot for many tips, suggestions and/or advice from us Hobieholics, not to mention from various Hobie staffers and engineers on occasion.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Dick! Good to see a familiar "face" around here! :) I'm thinking that I should stay close to here so I can learn as much about my Hobie drive. I believe it will require frequent maintenence. I sometimes have a clicking sound, so I need to investigate that, now!

Post subject: Drive Unit Improvements
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="Joe/GA"]I'm sorry to hear that Rnykster is leaving. :( Hobie should hire him for field testing! [quote]
I did volunteer to test their new designs but there is apparently a waiting list. (Shipping costs were probably to high.)

I visit the forums here every few months hoping to see some great improvements. What did I see this time? Mirage has now gone to inflatables throw away kayaks. How sad...

The latest messages talk of chain pops, leaking hulls, and the usual problems with rudders -not much has changed. Hopefully one day Hobie will introduce a beefed up mirage drive unit on an Adventure hull that has bulkheads and a higher side profile so you don't get a wet butt from 6" waves. I'd buy another Outback tomorrow if it had bulkheads and a sturdier drive unit.

I still can't believe there aren't big racing events across the country featuring in all Mirage kayak catagories, but then again, racing mirage kayaks isn't going to work very well with weak drive units that break, break, and break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Rnykster, I'm glad you're back (I think)! Hobie has done some good things with the Drives since your latest. I know it can be frustratingly slow when your parts keep breaking, but then, rushing an "improvement" to market without proper testing would be quite a blunder wouldn't it? With your knack for breaking parts, Hobie definitely missed their opportunity to have a first rate tester! :D

Honestly, the only thing I saw in your post that was "sad" was your statement about looking for great improvements, yet making no comment at all about the newest Drive drums, cables and chains or the virtual absence of recent complaints about sprocket guard maladies. Instead you jumped on the opportunity to dis the inflatable???

You ought to try out one of those "throwaway inflatables" before rendering judgement. Not so sadly, I don't think anyone has thrown one away yet -- on the contrary, the forum owner reports have been rather positive. If Hobie wasn't willing to explore something different, we would never have got those Mirage Drive flippers in the first place would we? I guess it's all about choice. A friend of mine just bought one. A hard core, long time kayak paddler and distance racer, I was even a bit surprised -- it was his first Hobie. He takes it out surfing every week and on many of his trips -- always raving about it.

If you ever get to the San Diego area I want you to try out my latest '08 Drive mods. I haven't been able to break or wear out any parts at all in the past few hundred miles, so if you can make it break (without crashing) I'll treat for lunch -- and cover the repairs!

There was a Hobie Regatta at Dana Point in March with a pedal only division -- and nobody broke any parts; so things are moving along. Good thing you weren't there -- they might have had an out-of-state winner! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
If you ever get to the San Diego area I want you to try out my latest '08 Drive mods. I haven't been able to break or wear out any parts at all in the past few hundred miles, so if you can make it break (without crashing) I'll treat for lunch -- and cover the repairs!

The new redesigned 09 drive units have perked up my interests again - it is what I've been looking for. If someone can wear out or break a drive unit, it's me. One of the things I like about pedal kayaks is the crashing issue - kinda hard to hurt anything when you hit it at 4 mph. Want to have some fun? See how far you can pedal with your eyes shut before you hit something. It is more fun in open water. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8