Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resurrection challange
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear All

Based in Kuwait and there are "alot" of Hobies out here that the owners have just left to be eaten by the sun. I have just resurrected a 17 and got it sailing and the owner was so pleased he has asked me to look at his friends boat (this has in turn snowballed into 5 others are now asking - I am only doing this as something on the side, I hold a full time job here!)

My history is on 15's, waves getaways and Pacifics. I used to run a huge fleet in Antigua so know my way around the boats and the parts, but I have been presented with a rather sad 21sc. I want to to walk away from it as it is in a terrible state but the owner is beyond keen.

Main issues are:
Mast comp tip is shot/snapped clean in two!
Port tack forward most outrigger support has folded/bent beyond repair
Main is shreaded
Tramp shows signs of 20 years sun wear!

From what I see the rest of the boat is spares that I am stocking running gear blocks rope etc, and there are a few common parts I will need such as rudder pintles, cams tiller joins etc shackles pins etc.

SO my questions to the knowledgeable are:
1. Mast. Can you buy new mast? or should I start looking down the route of finding another mast that will fit out of one of the models being made today. My research so far shows that the 21sc mast was 8.8m long. So boats like the pearl have a 9m long mast. Would this work as a replacement? The good thing I can see is I can get new boom and sail with this and I score off a lot of problems however I would be dramatically changing the characteristic of the boat in terms of more sail area and lower boom, different reef system. Would the shroud lengths work? Diamond I figured is the same.
2. Can you buy outrigger supports or should I start the hunt for a locally sourced and made one. This is possible there are all sorts of great fabricators here. I would need to know the material. It looks like an anodised Aluminium, I am guessing 6001, but if anyone has more detail please let me know.
3. Can you buy new tramps or does another model fit this? Otherwise again it could be made locally but I wouldn't be so confident with this workmanship.

The owner is so keen to get it going the cash isn't the inhibiting factor. He has two options. Do nothing and let it never sail again. Trust me and let me get it running, albeit slightly different. Personally I am keen to do and breath come life into the old boat again. I could do with a bit of steerage on the above issues.

Once I figure how to upload pics I will show you the sad news.

Cheers Ecosset4 :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good Luck, Ecosset4. These boats are worth saving.

My understanding of the masts is that they are simply not available. I have read that a Hobie 18 mast with custom shrouds will work. You'll have to look but I think the side shrouds are the same but the front shroud is different. I see H18 masts for sale every once in a while.

New tramps for the 21SC are readily available. I just purchased a new main tramp and wing tramps from Slo Sails and they fit well and are affordable.

If cash is no option for this guy, then scour the want ads for one in rough shape and buy a parts boat and ship it to Kuwait.

I'd love to see the pictures.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for this. It is a monster of a boat I have to say and kind of look forward to breathing new life into her. The mast thing i think I will have to speak directly with a dealer that knows - the one in country only knows about kayaks! Sad but this is where we step in! Once I get the parts lined up and ordered I will post the pics.

Ecosset4

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://www.thebeachcats.com/classified ... -gcat.html

This guy is selling some H18 masts.

I'm restoring my H21SC now. They're boats worth saving.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow oh wow.

So I have got this thing up and running. Turned out to be quite complicated as parts came from Europe and the states and our dealer in country is " new" to dealing with boats. So we got there in the end and have a bit more to do. First some pics

[img]<script%20async%20type="text/javascript"%20src="//mod.imgbb.com/website.js"%20charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]
The shed as it started out. had been left for a number of years in this condition.

[img[/img]
The mast had snapped at the comptip. There were sever different stories as to how this happened. The main thing was....it couldn't be fixed!

Like magic she is ready to hit the sea again

[img[/img]
Hull was kind of tidy to start just needed lots of elbow grease

We purchased a hobie pearl mast. At 9m long it was close. Needed to make our own rigging as getting the dims. was impossible to figure.

The Pearl sail is a great colour

Jib is striking.

So we did a lot of work on this boat and I have now sailed it and like it. It is a big boat and sadly we have had to lose a couple of the features such as the gin pole and the round boom furling. The owner I think is happy as it is running again after too many years of not.

So some details.
Hobie Pearl mast being put on the 21sc hull. Shrouds we cut at 6.95m hard eye end to end. We could have gone to 6.90m
Forestay we cut to 5.39m and 0.56 for the pigtail. To be honest we could have gone 5-7cm longer.
Above all 4mm wire.
Jib Wire halyard - 5.95m 2mm wire
Got a new outrigger arm made locally from stainless. Be careful when measuring as there are longer front and shorter back arms!
New main sail
New jib
New boom - boom comes with the diamond assembly complete but not float so we bought one also. You need to buy goose neck fitting. It comes with halyard and pulley and down haul bottom pulleys but not the side pulleys so we need to order these.
Rudders we overhauled the cams and they work but there is about 2cm play in them. Before they didn't even lock! I am going to sail it again to see how I feel about this but will probably advise owner to get new. The boat lookslike it is rigged with two starboard tiller arms! I think previously this boat was a mish mash of parts!
Tightened and re roped the tramps but will advise on a new main tramp. (need to find one!)
Centerboards - OMG this job was designed by the devils out there. Fortunately the hulls had inspection hatches which is great, but my of my! The number of times I thought about just cutting a section of the hull out for access and then reinstating afterwards - i came so close. I only had three springs and have ordered a fourth so will revisit now I know the technique - 30 mins per side now!

This is a great project and agree these boats are worth looking after. Owner is happy and wants to do the last few jobs - downhaul cleats, tramps, outrigger covers and some glass work touch up.

If anyone has any questions or wants advise or wants to comment. Feel free.

Cheers :D

Last edited by Ecosset4 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your pics didn't work. You need to up load them to a image hosting site first.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ahhhhhh will do

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Links to his pics....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofadaes204hfeju/20170513_150529.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/89vppds45214rxd/20170514_183426.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyw2yplf42kvb8w/IMG_20171110_121356.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e3crw2fhbh1y3h/IMG_20171110_104519.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/me7u06bh4dvyvtf/IMG_20171110_104533.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv11l8f99443ddk/IMG_20171110_104555.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1r7joboujokxvy1/IMG_20171110_104504.jpg?dl=0

sm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys

What photosharing app is everyone using. Tried Imgbb but can't figure it easily!

Thanks SM for posting drop box pics.

Have just finished the centerboard fiberglass works and the dreaded springs. WOW! Fortunately the bilheads had hatches but that was a horrible job, not to be repeated.

Owner is in love with it and has asked for new tramps and Downhaul cleats for pearl mast (wasn't included with mast weirdly). Got some new sexified rudders coming.

All in he has spent a lot of money but I hope he gets some good fun out of the boat.

Any questions on the processes especially the mast, please ask.

Ecosset4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow looks great. Did you have to change the mast base? How did you order the mast?