Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Felvic, what do you mean by:
Quote:
Stable like an Outback but slightly rolling, like Pa12

Does it feel like the seat is too high? Because I am starting to feel this way from looking at all the videos (I haven't tested one on the water yet)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The seat height is less related to this than is hull shape, and initial stability and secondary stability properties. I'd suggest scheduling a demo with one of your dealers to see for yourself, because in my honest opinion this kayak is pretty dang stable!

Best!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jcanracer wrote:
Hi Felvic, what do you mean by:
Does it feel like the seat is too high? Because I am starting to feel this way from looking at all the videos (I haven't tested one on the water yet)

Hi Jan,
when seating it's ok. I was talking about standing position...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

HStrech wrote:
The seat height is less related to this than is hull shape, and initial stability and secondary stability properties. I'd suggest scheduling a demo with one of your dealers to see for yourself, because in my honest opinion this kayak is pretty dang stable!

Best!

Right, but it has a litlle rolling in first centimeters the Outback doesn't have...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First post on the Hobie Forum so here goes!

I purchased a Compass after reading through all of the posts and watching a variety of videos. Took it out on its maiden voyage a couple of days ago and have to say that I really liked the Compass. Spent 7 hours covering 7 miles in the inshore waters of Galveston's West Bay. Put her through the paces and she did well! (Posted up a more detailed report on TKF at the following link http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245600 You have to scroll down a little to find the maiden voyage write-up).

I currently have a 2015 PA-14 (which is a beast of a yak) and have previously owned a 2015 Outback. Was looking for something lighter and simpler to compliment the PA and think that the Compass fits the bill nicely.

As previously mentioned I really like the Compass and offer the following as suggestions for improvement.

(1) The seat is awesome and more comfortable than I thought it would be (with no up & down positioning). The seat design is very good but the side straps are too short. They need to be lengthened 3 inches or more to provide more range of motion.

(2) The bungee paddle keeper system works but the little round eyelet keeper (that you lash the bungee to) is located too close to the sides strap fastening cleat (the cleat that is attached to the actual kayak and that the seat strap latches into). When seated, the starboard side seat strap and cleat interfere with ones ability to quickly loop the bungee over the eyelet keeper. It is actual very difficult to perform at times. Perhaps the eyelet keeper could be re-positioned??

(3) Someone mentioned earlier that the yak needs lifting handles. This would make it so much easier to lift, transport and store but, and more importantly, you need something to grab if and when you turtle. Handles would make reentry much safe.

(4) There is no way to access the rear (interior) section of the yak. One consideration could have been to add a circular hatch in the rear but this is not possible with the current design. The recesses molded into the rear area (leading to the scuppers) are not large enough to fit in an 8" hatch (you need more flat surface area - like the area up front). My initial game plan was to add a square hatch in front of the seat and then move the the 8" hatch to the rear. I would have then placed my battery in the 8" hatch (for weight distribution as I keep a fish bag upfront). Would have also provided access to add any additional rigging (I prefer to use nuts and bolts to secure lifting handles and other items as I don't trust screws).

I really do like the Compass so great work! Just hope the feedback helps.

Thanks for the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Drifting Yak wrote:
The seat design is very good but the side straps are too short. They need to be lengthened 3 inches or more to provide more range of motion.

It has been corrected yet, we received new ones.

Drifting Yak wrote:
(4) There is no way to access the rear (interior) section of the yak. One consideration could have been to add a circular hatch in the rear but this is not possible with the current design. The recesses molded into the rear area (leading to the scuppers) are not large enough to fit in an 8" hatch (you need more flat surface area - like the area up front). My initial game plan was to add a square hatch in front of the seat and then move the the 8" hatch to the rear.

I told about that couple of posts ahead, it's a shame as just one or two centimeters is needed...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drifting Yak wrote:
First post on the Hobie Forum so here goes!

I purchased a Compass after reading through all of the posts and watching a variety of videos. Took it out on its maiden voyage a couple of days ago and have to say that I really liked the Compass. Spent 7 hours covering 7 miles in the inshore waters of Galveston's West Bay. Put her through the paces and she did well! (Posted up a more detailed report on TKF at the following link http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=245600 You have to scroll down a little to find the maiden voyage write-up).

I currently have a 2015 PA-14 (which is a beast of a yak) and have previously owned a 2015 Outback. Was looking for something lighter and simpler to compliment the PA and think that the Compass fits the bill nicely.

As previously mentioned I really like the Compass and offer the following as suggestions for improvement.

(1) The seat is awesome and more comfortable than I thought it would be (with no up & down positioning). The seat design is very good but the side straps are too short. They need to be lengthened 3 inches or more to provide more range of motion.

(2) The bungee paddle keeper system works but the little round eyelet keeper (that you lash the bungee to) is located too close to the sides strap fastening cleat (the cleat that is attached to the actual kayak and that the seat strap latches into). When seated, the starboard side seat strap and cleat interfere with ones ability to quickly loop the bungee over the eyelet keeper. It is actual very difficult to perform at times. Perhaps the eyelet keeper could be re-positioned??

(3) Someone mentioned earlier that the yak needs lifting handles. This would make it so much easier to lift, transport and store but, and more importantly, you need something to grab if and when you turtle. Handles would make reentry much safe.

(4) There is no way to access the rear (interior) section of the yak. One consideration could have been to add a circular hatch in the rear but this is not possible with the current design. The recesses molded into the rear area (leading to the scuppers) are not large enough to fit in an 8" hatch (you need more flat surface area - like the area up front). My initial game plan was to add a square hatch in front of the seat and then move the the 8" hatch to the rear. I would have then placed my battery in the 8" hatch (for weight distribution as I keep a fish bag upfront). Would have also provided access to add any additional rigging (I prefer to use nuts and bolts to secure lifting handles and other items as I don't trust screws).

I really do like the Compass so great work! Just hope the feedback helps.

Thanks for the time.

* Dealers should have received longer Compass seat straps than what the seats initially were being sold with. Please contact your dealer to make sure you have the correct seat strap.

* Aside from the molded-in handles on the interior of the cockpit, there is an accessory handle kit currently offered that we recommend for people wanting additional carrying handles for making the yak car top easier with one person: part #71190031 (hardware included).

*If you're wanting to swap the center hatch for the rectangular hatch, i'd recommend moving the 8" round hatch up front in the bow recess. that makes a great place to house your battery. You may have seen the upgrade video on our YouTube Channel, but just in case, here it is:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HStrech wrote:

* Dealers should have received longer Compass seat straps than what the seats initially were being sold with. Please contact your dealer to make sure you have the correct seat strap.

* Aside from the molded-in handles on the interior of the cockpit, there is an accessory handle kit currently offered that we recommend for people wanting additional carrying handles for making the yak car top easier with one person: part #71190031 (hardware included).

*If you're wanting to swap the center hatch for the rectangular hatch, i'd recommend moving the 8" round hatch up front in the bow recess. that makes a great place to house your battery. You may have seen the upgrade video on our YouTube Channel, but just in case, here it is:

Howie,

Thanks for the great input! Love the Compass! You should give it a separate forum thread like the Pro Angler has. That would give folks a singular place to go to get information and feedback on the Compass. It's a mini Pro Angler to me! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Done!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A separate Compass forum - how cool is that! And thanks for the answers gents! I have to say that I love having the option of taking the Compass or the PA-14....Decisions! Decisions!
Tight Lines!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://www.facebook.com/marinerfun/post ... 8117488116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[/quote]

Howie do you have any pictures of the side handles you recommend.? I have not been able to view them.

Regards
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 am 
Site Admin

https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/71190031_Compass_Side_Carry_Handle_Kit_manual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you :) is there a particular position you recommend?
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Click the link for instructions... it is there.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next