Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is anybody using one of these? Ordering the 2500mm 98" model. How do you attach to the crossbar? What grip are using?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just looked at one online to see what you were talking about. Looks like the grip is already made as part of the stick, description says it's got ribs made into it so, I'd probably just go with that and not try to change anything. I have no idea how it attaches to the tiller crossbar, looks strange with that "T" shaped end, I guess I'd have to see one attached in order to understand it. Looks like a nice sturdy tiller though, price isn't too bad either. I use an Arriba stick, which I am told isn't made anymore, so when and if it ever breaks, it's nice to know there is a suitable replacement.
I'd get one just for the name alone, heck, the thing is called a "Battle Stick" for cryin' out loud, must be pretty tough!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

98" is a bit long for a Hobie 16. The stock extension is about 80", maybe a bit longer.

Note that anything over 60" is going to incur an additional shipping charge. APS charges $25 extra. Do you trust UPS with a long, skinny, lightweight box?

If you're going with a fixed length extension, you can use the hardware and grip from a stock extension and order raw carbon tube from http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com (Item# SM6260F) in 60" lengths and the 5" connection ferrules (Item# SM615FER). 3 lengths and 3 ferrules is good enough for two extensions with no waste. (One ferrule is used to reinforce the connection end - cut in half and inserted until flush with the end.) You just need a bit of epoxy to glue it together.

For about $230 (that includes shipping), you get the materials to make two extensions (you will eventually break one) that are about 4" longer than the stock extension. They're super lightweight and what many racers are using now.

The elastomer joint on the Ronstan Battlestick is subject to UV degredation (it gets brittle when left in the sun). It's meant to be mounted with screws into the tiller crossbar and does have a disconnect mechanism. My tiller is the first thing that comes off when the boat hits the beach (you can't lay it on the tramp on newer boats and it sticks way out to the side otherwise).

Last edited by MBounds on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, then, sounds like Battle Stick would be a pain in the butt to deal with then, especially if it cannot be easily removed. I don't leave my Arriba attached unless I am near the boat. It comes off when trailering, and is stored indoors when the boat is not in use. Glad that mine came with the boat, being that it's about a 200 dollar piece of equipment and it is apparently not made anymore.

Last edited by HobieMarty on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Ronstan tiller connector can be easily disconnected from the crossbar to allow you to store your tiller extension. You just pop off the cover piece and slide the universal out of the base. The only issue is that the base uses two screws or rivets to connect to the tiller crossbar, so you can not use the existing hole - you will have to drill two new holes.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I edited my response to reflect srm's info about the disconnect. In 45 years of racing, I've never seen a stock universal break (as long as the through-bolt is regularly checked - if going to break, that's the weak point). I've seen a bunch of elastomer joints break on a lot of different boats (small dinghies use them a lot). The long extension on catamarans puts a lot more stress on the universal joint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been using the Ronstan Carbon battle stick on a 16 for over five years. You have to cut it to the correct length and install the connector it comes with. You do need to be careful with any carbon tiller, I know many people who have broken them and it doesn't take much to break one. As a rule it's the last thing I attach to the boat before going out and it's the first thing I remove when derigging.

I know others that have made carbon tillers themselves using the method mbounds describes. If you prefer telescoping, the carbon wildcat tiller in the Hobie Cat catalog is popular and similar to the discontinued hotstick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"Battle Stick"... oh the marketing department