Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A friend sent me this. While i don't like it as much as the Torqeedo for those wanting an efficient motor for a lower price this sure looks like a good alternative. Not sure if this has been shown here yet or not but take a look.
It sells for $1099 and will mount right up to a Hobie several different ways...

https://bixpy.com/bixpy-kayak-jet/

Search Youtube for more video's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeOOUvS8lCQ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Will be interesting to see how they perform. I can't imagine that they have nearly the thrust of the evolve Torqeedo. They just got these into production, so waiting to see real World use.

BTW... there is a special on evolve for the coming months in the USA market. a free Torq Trac accessory ($149 value). Torqeedo is giving one away with every evolve sale. The Torq Trac sends the data from the evolve through Blue Tooth to a phone/pad app.

https://www.hobie.com/accessories/evolve/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah still in preorder so we'll see. I love the torqeedo but i like the guard on the bixpy. The prop looks smaller too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like it is making some pretty good thrust there. Hobie better get on the ball with a rudder mount for Torqeedo... :lol:

2:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1PRq6xTua0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah but that prop looks to be about half the size of the torqeedo. We'll see. It says top speed for a TI is 4.5 so that close to the 6 claimed by torqeedo. I see about 5 on avg in my use. I may buy one to play with and i am sure we will see real comparison when they come out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Defy wrote:
Yeah but that prop looks to be about half the size of the torqeedo. We'll see. It says top speed for a TI is 4.5 so that close to the 6 claimed by torqeedo. I see about 5 on avg in my use. I may buy one to play with and i am sure we will see real comparison when they come out.

Doesn't matter if its spinning twice as fast... :wink: I like the 403 mounting design much better for the PA. Battery has a smaller footprint as well. Even my large battery has a smaller footprint but you have to admit..these guys are getting their stuff together as far as mounting options and accessory perks...covering all the bases..even making way for the customer to design their own mount..that says a lot about the company...Hobie needs to step it up a bit there...a rigid mount such as Evolve is not an option for many people...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah i am intrigued, the throttle is another plus on the 403 as it lets you know the range instantly. I use that to adjust my speed coming home in no wind. I always arrive home with about 20% and never worry if the battery will run out because i can see when it will.

Not sure how that would work on a paddle board. Maybe on an eclipse but a standard sup... steering with a paddle... once again i guess i would have to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree, the controller is a big plus over Bixpy as well . The Torq Trac accessory is a pretty cool option also. But at $1700 we are paying for it where as Bixpy is only $1000. If i was buying now i would still grab the Torqeedo but some folks don't want to spend that kind of money but at the same time, they don't know what they are missing.
Its a great big plus not having to paddle while fishing as well as not having that tower of power taking up all the floor room in front of you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased one of these for my Outback because of the rudder mount. I just got it this week and will be trying it out this weekend. will report back here on how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of my concerns is the small propeller .......... I’m wondering if it has enough power to go against wind and tide. The only demos I have seen was in calm waters. Also, the remote control has only 1 frequency so if more than one is in the same area, you will be controlling each other’s yaks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea the bixby might be a little small for a TI, ( been waiting on real performance results). I believe it's a ducted prop design, (more powerful vs open props). Twin bixby's might be a nice option on a large boat. I was pretty much planning for twin 403's for my TI, however was hoping for the price to go down first, would likely need to design and build new props though, (kind of a pain).
FE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bixpy is light years ahead of Torqeedo now that i have had the pleasure of dealing with Torqeedo customer service.
These people are buzzkill folks...total buzzkill ! Failure across the board..even at their attempts to make right a failure...they still fail !

Last edited by Yak9107 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

one of the reasons i purchased the Bixpy was because i couldn't get the Torqeedo with the larger battery right off the bat. Seemed very wasteful to me to purchase the kit with the 320W battery and basically not use it. I've been sending them messages for a while now asking for a bundle with the 915 battery, but they won't budge. If the sea trials on the Bixpy go well this weekend, i will forget all about the Torqeedo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Bixpy. I have used it twice now. Small simple package, very easy to store. Pushes my compass along quite well. I really like the simplicity of the design. It seems to be very well built.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still waiting patiently for any real life results, tests, feedback, and videos from bixby owners with TI's. Knowing the unit to be smallish for a TI, if adding a pair of bixby's would be viable.
FE