Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,

So I want to start getting into sailing. I have minor experience when it comes to sailing but is eager to learn. I just want some advice on what will suit my situation best. Thanks in advance! :D

I will be doing most of my sailing with either my brother or girlfriend thus the boat needs to be able to carry two people with ease but would like if I could take it out solo now and then but not a deal breaker. (Me and my brother is about 180 lbs and girlfriend 120 lbs) We are still young (22) and are in good shape so will be able to move larger boats around with more ease. On occasion I would like to take 3 guests for a cruise. (90% of the time it would be two people on the boat)

I would like to do most of my launching on the beach but have alternative launching spots that can be used if beach launching is not possible. We have a house on the beach and thus would be more comfortable if we could launch it on the beach.

I would rather have a bit of a harder learning curve and have a boat that I will not get bored with when I start sailing better and living more on the edge ;)

I do have training available but need a boat to do it on and thus need advice on which one. I have been looking at Hobie 16's or maybe something bigger like a Getaway or Pearl. But would like the advice of you people with the expertise.

Thanks for your time.
Karel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am not an expert that can really help with the decision, but maybe a few questions will help when other people see this...

1. What wind strength and sea state (wave heights) are common in the area where you will sail?
2. Are your brother and girlfriend up for more aggressive sailing - hanging on the trapeze and getting wet - or do you want something a bit more relaxing?
3. Is money tight - meaning you need to buy an old/cheap boat and fix it up?
4. That 10% of the time where you might have 4 adults on the boat is tricky. Would that just be for a slow float in calm waters or are you hoping to take them out in something more sporty?

Good luck... Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

leecea wrote:
I am not an expert that can really help with the decision, but maybe a few questions will help when other people see this...

1. What wind strength and sea state (wave heights) are common in the area where you will sail?
2. Are your brother and girlfriend up for more aggressive sailing - hanging on the trapeze and getting wet - or do you want something a bit more relaxing?
3. Is money tight - meaning you need to buy an old/cheap boat and fix it up?
4. That 10% of the time where you might have 4 adults on the boat is tricky. Would that just be for a slow float in calm waters or are you hoping to take them out in something more sporty?

Good luck... Andy

Andy asked some good questions. I personally owned a Getaway so I'm biased. But a TI is a hoot and very forgiving. If you are not wedded to hobies and have some decent cash reserves; A farrier trimaran will suit you to a T.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a Hobie 16 new in 1985 and sailed it for about 27 years. It was an exciting boat to sail and never got boring. I launched it off the beach into the ocean with no problems. It is nice not to have dagger boards to worry about. It will easily carry 3 adults and I have taken 4. Two is ideal. I actually sailed more in lakes than in the ocean. I wouldn't solo in the ocean but did a lot of my lake sailing solo.

I also sailed a monohull for many years (a Cape Cod catboat) and if you want a leisurely sail with 4 or more, that is what you need with a hull speed of about 6 mph. I have had the H-16 up to about 20 mph.

One problem with the H-16 is the tendency to bury a bow and cause a pitchpole. Your crew has to watch the bow and move aft to prevent it. I may have pitchpoled about 3 times in all the years, even though we sailed hard.

I can't speak about other boats though the H-18 always appealed to me. The 18 tramp doesn't seem any bigger than the 16 so I don't think it would be any more comfortable for 4 people.

There are a lot of good videos on Youtube that will give you a good idea of what it is like on a 16.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't go wrong with a Hobie 16. You can sail it solo or with a crew. The boat can be sailed fast and can be sailed at a leisurely cruise as well. They are built tough also and are fairly easy to set up and that's a big plus for someone getting their first cat. There is a video on you tube, search "Should I buy a Hobie 16" that may help you in your decision. Good luck in the search.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you looking for a new or a used boat?

If new, your options are pretty limited - either a Hobie 16 or a Getaway (I would not consider the Pearl as an option in the US unless you get confirmation from someone at Hobie that one could actually be imported).

The H16 would most likely fit your needs and that’s the reason it’s the most popular beach cat ever made. My only concern would be the weight with you and your brother sailing (360 Lbs) is a bit on the high side for max performance, but not totally unreasonable. Beach launching is a given - that’s what these boats were designed for.

A Getaway would handle the extra crew weight quite easily, including sailing with a third person. But they are a but of a dog in comparison. More of a cruising boat than a performance catamaran.

If you’re open to used, then a Hobie 18 should also be on your list. They will handle two adult men easily and do OK with three adults (the tramp size is about the same size as on the 16, but since the tramp attaches to the hulls, you can also sit on the hull decks so there is more room). The 18 is about 70 - 80 Lbs heavier than the 16 so lugging it around on the beach is more of a chore but should not be much of an issue for a couple 20-somethings in reasonable shape. It can be single handed but can be a bit of a handful due to the daggerboards and it’s overall size and power. I would not single hand it in the surf on anything other than a mild day.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My son-in-law and I used to sail together quite a bit and we are both about 180 lbs. Absolutely no problem If you want to race, you need to consider the crew size to be most competitive. I once took a neighbor with me and, though I knew he was big, didn't realize until I asked that he was well over 300 lbs. We actually flew a hull that day.

As to the H-18, go on Youtube and look for "Sharing the Wind" You will see an 18 literally airborn about 3' out of the water. The tramp on the 18 appears to be the same as the 16 but I believe the jib blocks are set into the tramp and reduce the room available.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In your position, I'd go with a Hobie 18. I've owned a couple of 17s, have sailed the 16s, and currently own a Getaway. You're going to want something fun and fast, and I think the 18 is better for that, for you, than a 16. There are such a variety of designs, with the SX with wings and taller mast, and the Magnum wings (I might have those models backwards). With the 3 of you on a 16, and possibly a 4th (hey, your brother might get a girlfriend too!), you'll find the 16 sluggish, i think.

The only time I would prefer a 16 over an 18 is soloing; easier to right by yourself, and no daggerboards to worry about when you beach it. But I've got friends who solo an 18 with no problem, and I solo my Getaway all the time.

I think you would get bored with the Getaway. It's an easy boat, and great for carrying a boatload of people (pun intended) but slower than the fiberglass boats. If I had room for another sailboat, I'd own a H-17 or 18 also.

Oh, it's not all about trampoline size for carrying capacity. It's hull volume. The 17 is actually a one or two person boat because of its low volume hulls. The 18 has large volume hulls, and with the flatter hull shape, it's faster than the 16, and with the daggerboards, it points much better. And if you can get one with the wings, you'll love it! I trapped off the wings of my 17! Talk about a thrill! And nice to sit on, keeps you above the spray, and a great place to lay out and relax. My wife liked the hammock style wings on our 17. The Getaway has a plank type wing to sit on, but you can't lay out on it.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just another thought is that there are other cats. I've always liked NACRAs and they are fast. The Hobie Miracle 20 looks like a fun boat too. Like Thom says, the Farriers are great, but very expensive (at least on my beer budget!).

I guess the big questions are where are you located and how far are you willing to travel to purchase a boat, and how much can you spend on a boat. If I had a mooring space and a lot more money, I personally would love a Stiletto catamaran - a big, fast cat indeed! But my Getaway meets my storage, budget, and sailing needs satisfactorily.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not to get into a pissing match on this, but certainly there is more usable seating room on the 18 as compared to the 16. As I said, since the tramp on the 18 connects directly to the hulls, you can sit on the decks so you have the entire area of the tramp plus the decks to sit as compared to the 16 where you can only sit on the tramp. Also the 18 is more comfortable because when you sit out on the edge, your rear end is sitting on the deck rather than on the metal bar of the tramp frame. In addition, the 18 can be fitted with wings which really open up the deck area and probably add another 30-50% of seating space.

I agree that the jib sheet arrangement on the 18 is a little cumbersome as compared to the 16, but we’re talking a pretty minor issue. If you want to experience a real cumbersome jib setup, try sailing a H20 with its steel jib wire running across the tramp.

In any case, the OP said that he would primarily be sailing with two people, so all of these boats have plenty of seating space for two average size people. The 16 becomes very limited for a host of reasons when you add a third person, so if you expect to do a lot of sailing with three people, a 16 would not be recommended.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

So just to answer some of the questions to make sure I do buy the correct boat for me. With regards to the amount of adults I would rather have a boat that is fun with two people and not being able to go 4 adults on it.

To reply to Andy's questions. I'm from South Africa so the ocean is not that calm. I will be starting off in a dam or lake until I feel confident to go out on the ocean. In reality I will probably do 60% of my sailing on dams or lakes but the rest will be on the ocean as this is where I actually wants to do my sailing.

Both my brother and girlfriend would go for more aggressive sailing.

Money is not to tight but don't think I would be able to afford a new one this year.

If I take out 4 adults it would just be a very calm sunset cruise and not sporty at all.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

So just to answer some of the questions to make sure I do buy the correct boat for me. With regards to the amount of adults I would rather have a boat that is fun with two people and not being able to go 4 adults on it.

To reply to Andy's questions. I'm from South Africa so the ocean is not that calm. I will be starting off in a dam or lake until I feel confident to go out on the ocean. In reality I will probably do 60% of my sailing on dams or lakes but the rest will be on the ocean as this is where I actually wants to do my sailing.

Both my brother and girlfriend would go for more aggressive sailing.

Money is not to tight but don't think I would be able to afford a new one this year.

If I take out 4 adults it would just be a very calm sunset cruise and not sporty at all.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, yeah, if I were you, I'd look for an 18' or larger cat, especially for ocean sailing. Hobie 18, or one of the NACRAs.

Also for ocean sailing, at a minimum, carry a compass (just a little pocket compass is fine), a waterproof handheld marine radio on your PFD, and a set of flares on the boat. I sailed my Getaway on Lake Michigan, which is essentially a small sea, and I wouldn't leave the shore without those.