Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my first post and outing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi this is my first posting. I recently bought a 2013 Revolution. I took it out today for my first outing. I was really pleased, with the way it cut through small choppy waves. The pedal drive I liked and was able to move along at a good pace. I probably over did it a bit and now have bad cramp in one leg. It has been a long since I have doneov

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yo Suds!

Congratulations on your new kayak; I just bought a Revo 13 too - second hand - the hull is a bit scratched and sun faded but it is all still there and works (though one paddle blade snapped off as I was trying to get out through surf on my second outing in it - fortunately I have a spare).

Anyway my thoughts are it is a good boat: I have two other Hobies (AI and Oasis) and have owned several so I have a reasonable basis for comparison. You sit a bit higher in the water than the Adventure (aka Revo 16) and it isn't quite as fast but it is more manoeuvrable with the larger 'sailing' rudder that I have on all my boats.

As to your problem with leg cramp - this will go away as your legs become accustomed to the pedalling action - it is a bit different from walking/running/cycling/stepping/rowing and it does take a while to tune the muscles in to it but once there you should find that you can go for miles (much further than most people can manage with a paddle - and faster!) and when you get back to shore you should find that the exercise has been far less stressful that you imagine.

Anyway I hope you will enjoy your new toy as much as I have mine (not to mention all the other people on these forums).

Welcome aboard and let us know where you do your kayaking!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Adelaide Sth Australia. I am looking into buying a round sail on Ebay. I would like to get the propper Hobie Sail to suit the 13 rev but cant afford it as I would like to get some out riggers as well. The round sail would get me back to my launching spot using the prevailing southerly see breezes. I will head north in morning to best fishing area and use breeze to get back. That's my theory we will see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Woops I would have to head south in the morning to take advantage of southerly wind to get back to launching site in afternoon. Has anyone fitted a windpaddle sail on their rev. Just curious as to pedals getting in way.