Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My current Hobie Heavy Duty Cart has the beach wheels and one issue I don't like with this wheels is when removing it when kayak is on the water.
So what I'm thinking is to buy another set of wheels (hard rubber wheels similar to the one in the link below).
I think this kind of wheels will easily drop out from the scupper holes with not much effort like the beach wheels.

Question is
Is there any after market brand that will fit nicely to Hobie Heavy Duty Cart. The OEM is expensive. It's about 80 dollars.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/6279/Hobie-Replacement-Wheel-for-Hobie-Heavy-Duty-Kayak-Carts.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%2520ACK%2520PLA&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp6279_2976_1&sc_intid=6279_2976_1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItYS1h9PL2AIVEEsNCh03mgjGEAYYAiABEgIPCfD_BwE

This is what I have now.
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/13049/Hobie-Trax-2-30-Kayak-Cart.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%2520ACK%2520PLA&adpos=1o4&scid=scplp13049_11186_1&sc_intid=13049_11186_1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLyG3NXL2AIVXbjACh1GtAvsEAQYBCABEgKgtPD_BwE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have read in here that if you partially fill the beach wheels with water, you can reduce their buoyancy, making removal in the water easier. Just a thought... water is free!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dont know how to do that Tony.

What ill try though is remove the two wheels under water then drop the cart frame from scupper holes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Admin

You can remove the valve core to get water into the tire. https://youtu.be/_zzkwL6QmlY?t=7

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nap,
The Wheeleez HD wheels seem expensive but long term they are a very cheap investment. I’ve been using them on my Trax2 cart coming up to 10 years and they have never let me down. Punctures are no more and with thousands of km on them the tyres still look like new.
Adding the HD wheels gives you a cart for all terrains. Those balloon tyres are great on sand but are very slow on any hard pack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whatever you do don't do what I did....
I had the grey wheeleez tires on the scupper scupper cart, they were too buoyant so I put in a bunch of green slime , (for fixing bike inner-tubes to make them puncture proof) so they wouldn't float so darn much. One day I was tipping the kayak over to remove the scupper cart, a seashell punctured the tire, (happens often), the tire burst and covered my wife with green slime, (true story).
Still living that one down.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another option, twice as heavy, even more expensive, but works great.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=60804

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you guys.

Looks like no choice but to buy the Hobie OEM wheels.
First time i saw this one from Chris.i think this will roll deeper on mud bec of its skinny width compare to the fatter version of this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The larger foam filled tires are actually a little wider that the stock smaller ones but they certainly are narrower than beach wheels.
The big foam filled tires really make a difference on hard surfaces and I imagine they would be better on soft surfaces too.
They do raise the level of the boat when on the cart and I have to be careful to not get too much stuff on one tramp or haka or the boat feels a little tippy rolling down the boat ramp.
I might weld a longer axle into the cart to widen the wheel base to make it feel more stable.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chris, appreciate if you can clearly identify the wheels you are referring to. We have seen 3 sizes here from widest size to narrowest ( 3. wheeleez - 2. hobie hard rubber- 1. your hard rubber wheels.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nap
They are Wheeleez 26 cm and 38 cm foam filled wheels AKA Tuff-Tire.
In both cases they are foam filled tires and the issue I had as you can see from the pics in the other thread was that the 26 cm wheels ran partially flat.
26 cm Wheeleez are what Hobie uses standard on the HD cart unless this has changed in the last year.
The HD cart has a 1/2" axle so you have to purchase the tires with 1/2" hubs if you get them from Wheeleez.
In my case I had some 38cm Wheeleez wheels with 1" hubs for the cradle cart I built and only used once. I simply ordered 1/2" hubs from Wheeleez for my 38 cm tires.
The hubs are easy to change and just press into the wheel.

I have considered putting a longer axle in my cart and trying two 26 cm wheels on each side. It would keep the boat lower and less tippy, but the few times I got to try the cart with the 38 cm wheels last summer it really felt like a comfortable pulling height and those big wheels roll beautifully compared to the small ones. I probably wont mess around with the cart much more because I would really like to come up with a retractable wheel system and eliminate the scupper cart altogether.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Chris,

I will definitely consider your thoughts when I purchase another cart.
And let us know when you finish your new design or come up with a better idea that does not use the scupper holes.