Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SF Bay Meetup Thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,

I am interested, but I am concerned with the limited parking for my trailer. What time are you planning on arriving at ATT park?

I am considering putting in from Alameda and sailing across. Possibly the Encinal Boat Ramp. Winds appear to be from the north at 5 mph until after 12 and then from the west.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JimE wrote:
Steve,

I am interested, but I am concerned with the limited parking for my trailer. What time are you planning on arriving at ATT park?

I am considering putting in from Alameda and sailing across. Possibly the Encinal Boat Ramp. Winds appear to be from the north at 5 mph until after 12 and then from the west.

Jim

That's a good question. I've not launched there but I see there is dedicated trailer parking. Sounds like Encinal would be safer.

If you've launched from Encinal and/or sailed to SF from there, how did it go?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,

I have not sailed from the Encinal Boat Ramp, I got it from google maps trying to find a close ramp to AT&T. My wife and I have been wanting to sail to a Giants game and your suggestion made us pull the plug and decide to do it.

We are on for the Giants game Saturday. What time were you planning on arriving at AT&T?

My wife and I are planning on leaving the ramp at about 11:30 to sail to McCovey Cove.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

JimE wrote:
Steve,

Jim

I have not launched from Alameda. Is it beach or ramp?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is a ramp. Fairly basic. I saw that the water level at real low tide could only be about one foot. However Saturday that should not be a problem.

Picture of ramp https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x808f811ee02c0257:0x1aad588e1c435ff3!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname%3D109160048876319263382%26id%3D6173661757418087618%26target%3DPHOTO!5sEncinal+Boat+Ramp,+Alameda,+CA+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ved=0CGYQoiowCmoVChMI_cuRoaqCyAIVxDCICh2eegNq

Ramp map https://www.google.com/maps/place/Encinal+Boat+Ramp/@37.7699303,-122.2909319,17z/data=!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x808f811ee02c0257:0x1aad588e1c435ff3!2sEncinal+Boat+Ramp!3b1!3m1!1s0x808f811ee02c0257:0x1aad588e1c435ff3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Launching from Lock Lomond around 5:00 on Sunday. It is the closes place I can think of as far as getting away from light pollution goes. I plan on heading east and north to get the most open view. Tomales Bay would have a less open view. But it would be darker. All are welcomed to join me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sum how I managed to forget to mention this is for the up coming eclipse. Was on the water at Loch Lomond this evening. A totally unobstructed view.

Post subject: Blue Angels Saturday
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Who plans to be on the water for the Blue Angels? Where are you launching from? Where do you want to gather?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Planning on going to the Strictly Sail Boat Show next week? Then come wave the Hobie flag and see the boat show from a different perspective, on the water, in your Island. The in water portion of the show is right off of the Richmond launch ramp. I plan on going Saturday morning getting to the boat ramp between 9-10am. Beyond the boat show we can plan a trip to Ayala Cove on Angel Island. There is a flood tide through the whole morning so may be a bit of a challenge. Hope to see you there.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/130571024@N07/75J9fC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone going out tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Bay Area Island Peeps,

Have any special TI/AI plans this year?

Also, anybody experience Pier 52, ramp below Mc Covey, lately? This thread makes it sound like nobody uses it because there isn't enough parking, is that still the case? I would be interested in launching there sometime during the week, for a ballgame and also to sail on the West side of the bay on heavier breezier days (you know how it's calmer W of The Slot).

Sailorv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sailorv wrote:
Hey Bay Area Island Peeps,

Have any special TI/AI plans this year?

Also, anybody experience Pier 52, ramp below Mc Covey, lately? This thread makes it sound like nobody uses it because there isn't enough parking, is that still the case? I would be interested in launching there sometime during the week, for a ballgame and also to sail on the West side of the bay on heavier breezier days (you know how it's calmer W of The Slot).

Sailorv

I haven't but would like to try on a weekday. Do you mean south of the slot?

Also, would like to launch from Horseshoe Cove and go out the Gate!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No, not South, West. The slot is pretty much GGB to Berkeley. This calmer, western region is the cityfront between TI, Alcatraz, S GGB tower, basically the Eastbound shipping lane.

Out the gate - sounds fun but definitely daring. I guess if you could pick a day with weaker currents, go out at slack and back with the flood it could be pretty fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Btw, yeah I guess you could call it S, I always approach the slot coming from the eastbay (by keelboat) and view that area as W.
But whatever, hopefully I'm making some kind of sense! When it's honkin that is where we go, otherwise leeward of Angel Island, Racoon Straights and China Camp. West side of Alameda is nice (we walk the beach there sometimes), we're too deep to sail there, can't wait to go by TI.

Our big plans are doing a sail to Angel Island and overnight camp at their boat up site. If we are lucky we hope to make it Baja this year. Had about 8 weeks sailing her in the Delta last Summer. If anyone is looking for warm Island sailing in Nor Cal the Delta is it. Near the Loop on the SJR and also in some of the sloughs that are wide open enough are decent sailing areas. It's sweet surfing river rollers in 20kt+ on a flood. The highlight was probably sailing at night under the stars and moon, only boat in the anchorage and practically no light pollution, scooting along in 15-20kts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've wanted to do the overnight on AI, but haven't been aggressive about getting a reservation for the kayak camp. I haven't explored the delta at all. Where are your favorite launches?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next