Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I know the PA12 wasn't made for trolling motor, but I made a motor mount for a Watersnake T24 utilizing the back built in rod holders. I originally had the motor in the mirage drive hole, which worked well, but did not like not have use of Mirage 180.

However, with the trolling motor mounted on the side behind the seat the thing tracks horribly, so bad that yesterday I just used the Mirage drive. I have a power pole knock-off on rear so cannot place there.

Any ideas why this could be happening or what I am doing wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I assume you have two forces trying to work against each other. When the propulsion is center the rudder doesn't have to work as hard because it is in line with the motor. When the motor is off to the side the the rudder has to push the kayak against or pull away from the force first, but I'm no expert.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're effectively pushing the boat from the side so no, it won't track straight. You can counter the side push with rudder, or you can set the motor at some slight angle that will help offset it's side mount location.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, it seems I have two forces conflicting and the heavy PA12 is overpowering the side mounted T-24. I have a 65lb thrust trolling motor that I will try today or tommorow to see if this solves problem. Its an older heavier unit but if it works I'll look for a lighter model.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A higher thrust motor won't move you much, if at all faster. It just tends to eat up battery life more quickly. If you'll offset the motor angle just a tad that should take care of most of your problem. In no case are you going to "push: a boat and have it track perfectly straight. You'll always need to do some steering.