Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I gotta say I am so happy I went with a TI 1. The lighter weight is a biggie (especially since I single hand a lot in moderate to heavy weather, that is for dinghy/small boat standards) but the soft seat is really so much better for me.
At first I was on here asking about if I could add a Vantage seat to a pre 2015 model, before trying one out. Man it has saved my butt a couple of times now. I like to be in the fwd seat since I sail a lot upwind where boat trim is important and when reaching or down I try to hang out on the tramps and aft aka. A few times I've have had to go back to the aft seat very quickly to free up a fouled mainsheet that ate my clue line (tie off when furled, that I now remove and stow) into the block in 17kt breeze in a narrow, shallow area. Back and forth I had to go between the front and aft cockpit and man oh man I was glad I had that soft seat to easily fling myself over or flop down fast and walk over without tripping or banging myself on metal hardware.

If Hobie is reading - have you considered having the soft seat as an option? I know there are others who agree. I made a post about the physical therapy aspects of an Island and most definitely the soft seat is better for me, and probably others, with low back damage because it offers better support as it allows your mid-upper to lean back and over therefore offering a lumbar support cushion of sorts.

Cheers!
Sailorv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like you Sailorv, I had to chose between a new 2014 TI and a really new 2016 TI. I chose the 2014 for the same reasons as you: it is lighter than the 2016 (think heavy and heavier), and I had no problems with the cloth seat. I have a 2015 AI 2, so I am very familiar with the new 2015 forward seats. Also, the 2014 TI has side handles which come in handy. I do use a Hobie inflatable cushion in the cloth seats--very comfortable.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Keith for the input. Actually, you responded to one of my first posts about which to get and your advice and opinions about being happy with the seats and your TI helped, so thank you there too.
Your AI2 is about the same weight as the 2014 TI huh?
I can't understand why on earth Hobie dropped the handles off the new models, wth we're they thinking?!

I used to race, all kinds of different keelboats (dinghies too) and a few times on a Corsair 24 and I have a lot of experience on a performance cruiser. I can see why the AI2 and TI2 are heavier to beef em up but I wonder if Hobie regrets it because the avg user is not doing heavy offshore coastal work where a beefier boat would be desired. Maybe I have not researched enough into the design differences and I'm just talking outta my arse here. But the golden rule for multihull sailing is staying light, both in construction and capacity. I think you and I have THE best model out there, latest of the first generation. Unfortunately, we may have to downsize to an AI in the future due to changing of location (boat length size to dock) and partner doesn't find it as fun as I do. If we have to sell/trade, what AI year would you rec?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailorv,
Just to clear a misconception. There is very little weight gain with a TI’15+ over the pre’15 models. It was the AI that gained all the weight in the ‘15 upgrade with a redesigned longer/fuller hull, built in centreboard and longer amas.
My 2010 TI weighs in at 104kg and it didn’t come with any fitted flotation foam. Compare that to the 109kg weight of a ‘15+ TI that has foam and there would only be a couple of kgs real difference, accounted for by the reverse bows and added seat hardware.
In a blind test dragging both do you think you could pick the difference?
Re your question on AI’s: Any model 2011+ should be fine. The pre’11 were prone to drive well cracks.

PS:I retro fitted Vantage seats to our TI and could never go back to sitting in a puddle. Our seats are sitting on the gunwale, so are much higher and that makes moving around and hiking out on the haka much easier. The Vantage seats also make great beach chairs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Stringy,

I always enjoy your posts and I think you have a youtube channel I have watched?
You are right, 5 kgs (11lbs) isn't much. My partner wants to fit the new seat, or make his own, for his seat (he sits after since he is heavier and I like tramping it ;).

Thanks for the AI info. If we end up going that we I will certainly keep that in mind.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailorv wrote:
Hi Stringy,

I always enjoy your posts and I think you have a youtube channel I have watched?
You are right, 5 kgs (11lbs) isn't much. My partner wants to fit the new seat, or make his own, for his seat (he sits after since he is heavier and I like tramping it ;).
Cheers!

Thanks Sv. Yes, my YouTube channel is aistringy -from back in the days when I only had AI’s.
If you are looking into a pre’15 AI you should demo sail it first. You may be disappointed as the TI is a much better sailing craft and the original AI is a very wet ride. Still great fun but the fact I no longer have AI’s tells you something!
Fitting a Vantage seat to the TI was very easy but it would be expensive. Ours came from our ‘16 Oasis so they do double duty.
For more seat alternatives you may have seen these posts?
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 69&t=51971
https://www.hobie.com/au/en/forums/view ... 0&p=285058

If you like tramping it you’d love Haka! They improve the hiking out experience dramatically, being higher, drier and more comfortable. They also make boarding easier as well. A ‘must have’ mod IMHO!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailorv, I recommend against the 2 AIs route. Twice the rigging, twice the work. Often, when I had 2 AIs, I would be taking a stranger out. I did all the rigging on both boats, plus, when done, I cleaned and stored both boats. PITA!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Keith said Sv!
I had two AI’s for a couple of years before the TI was released and my experience was exactly like Keith’s.
If you are smart about transporting, then one TI is much better than two AI’s. The TI makes a great solo sailer (as you already know) so really the only advantage an AIv1 would have is if you wanted to car top it. That was what I liked about my AI. I could easily throw the hull on the roof and everything else inside my car. With the AIv2 that advantage was gone, which is why I never got one. The TI did everything the AIv2 did and a lot more, with not really much more inconvenience with transporting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys!
Well having to going AI would not exactly be totally by choice. It would be because the slip we move the mothership to may not enable to fit the 18.5' TI but could definitely the AI's 16.5'. Trust me, I fully understand why the TI is a better sailer than the AI, I bet even over the AI2. However, the other day having to pedal-sail against gusts up to 25 kts in a very narrow waterway with the wind building made me wonder about an AI (pren2015) maybe being better for me. Yes I had a properly furled sail but it was only about 10 boat lengths wide before I had to worry about going aground in an ebb so it was one of those times I wondered about an AI.
I'm all about waterline and the longer amas and of course ability to take a passenger...just keeping me option's open ya know?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Three of us with TI's have sailed fairly often with the newer and older hulls. I have the 2015, another also has the newer hull and the third has the older 2014 hull. In lighter winds, the two newer hulls are often trying to keep up with the older hull. The pilot in the older hull is maybe 30 pounds lighter than either of us in the newer hulls but that same older hull even with two people in it is still hard to keep up with. Maybe the guy with the 2014 is just a better sailor.. dont know but I have certainly come to the conclusion that sailing wise, there is nothing at all wrong with the older hull. Hard to tell in higher winds / higher speeds but the newer hull may have advantage there.

Regarding the seats, you can often see what is lacking in a design or what Hobie needs to be watching by the modifications made by owners. You see lots of different mods made but I have never seen anyone change out the newer seats for something else. You very often see the opposite mod. Ive had both seats (2010 AI and 2015 TI) and I lived just fine with the older seat but as long as the newer seat doesnt bust on me, I prefer it. I go over the seat Im not using all the time when I bring the TI back onto the trailer and scramble from the back seat to the front of the boat.. a little awkward but not a big deal.

I personally just dont get the handle issue..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Regarding the Hobie Vantage seats - I usually sail all day in my TI, as much as 8 hours, several days a week. During this time I'm usually sitting in the seat. I can think of no other seat in which I have to sit in all day that is so ergonomically excellent. I experience no comfort issues at all with the Hobie Vantage seat, and I'm sensitive to such things. I wish I could say that about auto seats, motorcycle seats, motor boat seats or work chairs.

I'm amazed that I can sit very comfortably all day in the Vantage seat with no aches or pains afterwards. Hobie outdid themselves with this design. It's beyond excellent.