Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Joint loose
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just acquired a Hobie 18 and am in the process of getting it ready to sail. It has been setting for several years, stored outside under a cover. I was looking at it to see what I need to do to get the mast up and discovered that the joint in the mast between the composite and alum is a little loose. I would like to get it apart to inspect for damage and tighten or replace. I am guessing that the rivets holding the rigging hardware just below that joint has to be removed. Can any of you guys verify that or offer suggestions.

Thanks

Howard

Post subject: Re: Mast Joint loose
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a post from Steve (one of our resident experts) that may help.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 1489714195

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This one may help, as well.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... =mast+step

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim, I think he's talking about the joint between the comptip and the aluminum mast section being loose.

Howard, you are correct, the mast tang rivets hold the comptip into the lower section. The comptip may have also been glued into the mast. To get the comptip out, you will need to carefully drill out the heads on all the rivets (be sure to get yourself a fresh, sharp drill bit or two for this because the rivets are stainless steel). The rivets are 3/16" diameter and I usually use a 1/4" drill bit to take off the heads. Once you have the heads drilled off, you can pull off the mast tang. Then use a punch to drive the remaining rivet shank into the mast. At this point, if the comptip is already loose, you should be able to slide it right out.

Clean up any residual adhesive/dirt/grease/etc. from the mast sections. Mask off both the aluminum and comptip mast sections. Apply thickened resin to the comptip and re-install it into the mast. I would suggest using something like West Systems six10 resin. It is pre-thickened, can be applied using a standard caulk gun, and has a good amount of working time. Make sure the comptip is properly aligned with the mast and inserted all the way (you can put the rivets into the holes to confirm this, but don't pull them yet. Wipe off any excess resin that squeezed out of the mast joint and let the mast cure overnight. Then rivet the mast tang back on.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies hopefully I will have a chance to work on it tomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the mast apart. All but two of the rivets were loose. It cleaned up well.Tthere was no damage to the composite mast in the joint area. I decided to remove some of the foam plug and will add a metal back up to the rivet holes inside of the composite mast to better hold the rivets. I will re foam the area.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a solid plan. I would still recommend that you shim the joint by coating the comptip in thickened epoxy or similar before inserting it back into the lower mast. This is the process that Hobie recommends when originally installing the comptip. Otherwise, if the fit is sloppy, the rivets will likely loosen up again.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will use thickened epoxy in the joint to keep tight and pull the rivets after it cures. It appeared that that method was used before. I found some epoxy in the joint that I had to clean off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Weather finally was warm enough to epoxy back together. I used thickened epoxy and the joint came out really tight. I will finish pulling the rivets today-had to borrow a heavy duty rivet puller. Mine pulled one but was a real struggle. Picked up new halyard yesterday to install.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you’re on your way to being back in business.

FYI, Harbor Freight has a heavy duty rivet gun for $20 and now I see Home Depot also has a similar offering for not much more, so if you plan on doing other repairs involving riveting, it’s worth the nominal cost to purchase one of these tools. Much easier to use than the generic hand rivet guns.

Where are you sailing?

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where are you sailing?

sm

I will take this boat to Lake Worth on the NW side of Fort Worth. Lake Worth Sailing Club.
I have a Catalina 25 that I keep in a slip at Joe Pool Lake SE of Dallas