Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I need to replace an old combo fish finder that is used only occasionally in an Outback. I fish mostly out of a PA14 with Raymarine Dragonfly. I really don't want to purchase a second Navionics Chip for the new Outback FF it that can be avoided. Does anybody know if you can move 1 chip back-and-forth between 2 different FF's and not mess up the uploading and downloading of maps and waypoints and that sort of thing? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think at the least, you would need to use the same model of sounder. The maps seem to be generated to suit the brand/model of sounder. Not sure it is specific to a sounder serial number. Maybe email Navionics?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It depends if the Navionics card was purchased as a bundle ie with the unit. If it was purchased by itself it should work in any unit.

If you have any Navionics questions, feel free to message.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your other option could be to purchase a Navionics Update card for $99. use your old card to activate it. The old card can still be used with what data is on it, you won't be able get Daily Updates, but the Navionics Update card will have free Daily Updates for one year.

https://youtu.be/JBMDA-Eabr0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mtmouse wrote:
Your other option could be to purchase a Navionics Update card for $99. use your old card to activate it. The old card can still be used with what data is on it, you won't be able get Daily Updates, but the Navionics Update card will have free Daily Updates for one year.

https://youtu.be/JBMDA-Eabr0
I wrote to Navionics and got much the same advice about getting an update card. I did not know that this would prevent the old card from getting updates, though. If I got a new Lowrance unit with Lakemaster map, and used that as the "sacrificial" chip, would that allow me to still update the original Navionics as well as the Update chip?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim_MI wrote:
Mtmouse wrote:
If I got a new Lowrance unit with Lakemaster map, and used that as the "sacrificial" chip, would that allow me to still update the original Navionics as well as the Update chip?

Free Daily Updates are for one year, so after one year your old card wouldn't be eligible for updates anyways, but Lakemasters is one of the competitor's cards that is eligible to activate a Navionics Update card.