Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading To GT Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have purchased all the parts to upgrade my V2 Mirage Drive fins to the GT drive. I have noticed that the roller bearings do not come lubricated. Should I work some marine grease into the roller bearings before I install the new parts or just spray them with the CLP lubricant that I normally use? The instructions that came with the new parts do not mention anything about lubricant, which I found to be odd.

Thanks for the help. Always appreciate the help I get from the people on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 am 
Site Admin

They don't require lubrication, but some Hobie Lube or other can be used.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it. Thanks, Matt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I upgraded my drives to GT quite a while back. Started out with grease thinking it to be the best option, boy was I wrong on the one. Living in Florida we have a lot of very fine sand, gets in your shoes, underwear, ears, and hair.
After a couple launches I could hear the sand grinding away in the bearings as I peddled. The sand sticks to the grease and can't be washed out. I ended up removing all grease and went back to spraying (with force) the drives off with fresh water, then periodically spraying everything down with WD40 (or similar) again. That was a couple years back and have had no issues since.
I really like the GT drives, and feel it's a very worthwhile upgrade.

However more importantly don't ignore the rubber fins. They are a consumable item and get stretched out over time. Once they become wavy from use, that's an indicator that it takes much more effort to propel the boat, something that sneaks up on you over time without noticing. Boy was I guilty of that one with my original 4 yr old very wavy fins. The difference (with new fins) was like night and day and I felt really stupid afterward that I didn't know that. I also replaced the metal rods, and put the old ones in my repair bag that goes in the front hatch.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good info, fusioneng. I'm sure you've solved some problems for me before they even happened. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Fish hard, life long.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I grease the roller bearings liberally with marine axle grease and remove one roller from each axle prior to installation. This keeps them from squeaking, provides enough space for the bearings to actually rotate, and reduces the chance for flat spots (try it both ways prior to final installation for a demonstration). I've inspected the bearings after about 1000 miles of use and had virtually no bearing wear (mild wear on the inner sprocket surface). I've had no issues with contaminants but do not expose the Drives to sand. IMO, if sand enters the sprocket shaft area, it does not flush easily, with or without grease. Regardless of sand exposure to your sprocket shaft, the other two shafts should not be subject to sand unless you are throwing your Drive in the sand. Your light lube should also keep the bearings squeak-free if you are not greasing. 8)