Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Who else is expecting a Bixpy jet come Spring time? I ordered the rudder mount for my revo 11 and I look forward to using it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It looks like an alternative to torqeedo. 1700.00 torqeedo VS 1100 Bixpy.
https://bixpy.com/bixpy-universal-kayak ... uct-videos

How are you planning to install this. I'm thinking I'll install it to my pro angler using the generic kayak adapter.
another good thing with this is I have no propeller to worry about like torqeedo. I hope this is all made in the US as I like supporting US made products.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like it, might want it in the future, still happy with Mirage Drive for now @ 60yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

By having the Bixpy jet on the rudder I`ll be able to combine the jet and drive together. I like to explore the shoreline of inland lakes, so the jet will be a big help with that 10 mile + journey. The downside of the "motor" is now my kayak needs to be registered with Nevada Dept. of Wildlife. Since I purchased my kayak in California, the process is a little more difficult. Oh well, Bixpy on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very interesting. This would be great for getting to my fav fishing spots on bigger bodies of water.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering the purchase of a Hobie Compass during the next week or two. I am definitely planning to go with the Bixpy Jet in the mirage drive mount. I looked at the Torqeedo, but it is much more expensive. Also, reviews of the Torqeedo seem to suggest reliability issues. The upside is that the Torqeedo has a two-year warranty; the Bixpy is a one-year warranty. Another factor, like another comment stated, is that the Torqeedo has a prop to hit debris/bottom. The Bixpy has no exposed prop.

Unfortunately, there is just not information or good reviews out their on either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Compass looks like it would work well with an adapter at the rear,(universal) lock it in the centered position since you already have a rudder. The Mirage drive would be in place and ready to use when needed. The drive adapter has no kick-back feature.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I had a Bixby or a Torqeedo the last places I would dream of mounting would be in the mirage drive slot, or on the rudder, both are terrible locations.
With the Torqeedo 403 you can get a swing down mount that mounts on a ball, that would be the most desirable setup, and would be easily transferable to multiple kayaks, (many have more than one kayak). There is also a way to connect the steering to the main steering if desired.
I'm sure the Bixby has a similar mount system.
It's really the only practical solution IMO.
FE

EDIT:
I will definately be very interest in hearing about performance results on the Bixby. Our plan is to likely buy two units, (we have a TI, which is a really large boat, so we will likely need two).
Since our main pastime is snorkeling and diving, I plan to also get the underwater swimming version, (which is really cool). We would get to our destination, take the motors off, then fit them to the underwater swimming battery thing for the day. When it's time to go home we just hook them back up to the boat, and head for home, (usually many miles from launch).
Since we only dive when there is very little wind, and the sea needs to be very flat, (no waves), because of underwater viability. the motors are pretty neccessaary, (we only dive in salt water, mostly off Key West and the keys, (crystal clear water, lots of sea life, and nice and warm, (lol)).
I'm hoping they will offer replacement props for the things, we will be definately melting and bending a few to get the pitch right for high speed operation, (that works by trial and error, so it will likely take several to get them right), target cruise speed will be 10 mph, (using tri-power of course) with my huge sail sets (the boat will be tuned for low wind operation in the keys).

This is what we like to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9NMZmFMTU4

FE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got my Bixpy in the mail. I purchased it for my paddle board (attaches to the underside fins) but also got the mirage well adapter to fiddle with it. It will fit inside my front hatch (AI & TI). I plan on using it as a back up for long sails and or just fooling around with it. Once the water warms up a bit, I'll post my review. For 1/2 the price of a torqeedo, it was worth it to me to try out. Sign up to their newsletter for 10% off- there are also 10% off codes on a few YouTube posts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered mine today. I have an i11s and learned from the company that the mirage drive unit will not fit in the hole. On the inflatables the drive slot is narrower than on the rotomolded kayaks and the Bixpy is too wide to fit. They did NOT recommend the rudder model, due to the flex of the inflatable hull it would not be a good idea. So, I ordered the SUP fin model to attach to the underside. Biggest concern is when launching or beaching I'll have to use care not to bash the jet into shallow rocks or earth. Will post some impressions once the workplace cools and the weather warms and I can get out on the water. And the discount coupon I got when I signed up for their newsletter did not apply to this model. :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just made Tom`s motor mount method for my Bixpy but yet to try it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzLB8-ghvw Mabey you could make a mount for the i11s that attaches to the seat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have an i11s and learned from the company that the mirage drive unit will not fit in the hole. On the inflatables the drive slot is narrower than on the rotomolded kayaks and the Bixpy is too wide to fit.

The evolve for i-series is designed for the inflatable well. We as well do not recommend rudder mounted drives. Our testing has not had good luck with the Bixpy.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The evolve for i-series is designed for the inflatable well. We as well do not recommend rudder mounted drives. Our testing has not had good luck with the Bixpy.

You just need a wireless wrist control and affordable pricing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
You just need a wireless wrist control and affordable pricing.

The pricing is not apples to apples. The evolve Torqeedo product is a very different system. evolve has better Power / range / durability... Wrist mounted control on the other hand would be nice in some situations.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)